PCGamer article on Fall from Heaven

Kael said:
FfH2 should definly be the recommended version. FfH1 was the version we put together before the SDK released so its feature set was limited to just xml and python changes. Once Firaxis released the SDK and we had source code access the gloves were off to really dig into the inner working of Civ4.

From a player perspective the focus of the "Light" phase of FfH2 (the phase we just completed) are two things:

1. A working spell system. Three schools of magic (divine, sorcery, summoning), 14 spheres of magic (fire, entropy, nature, etc) and three ranks for each sphere combine to give us a variety of 118 spells and abilities (rank 3 divine fire spell = Pillar of Fire, rank 2 sorcery entropy spell = defile, etc).

2. Civilizations that are much more diverse than typical Civ4 civilizations. Focus here is on making them play differently than each other at a core level, rather than just differentiating them by a Unique unit or building. We have added 12 new traits, and changed the game rules for certain civs. For example the Ljosalfar can build in forested tiles without destroying the forexts, the Khazad's productivity is strongly influenced by their wealth, the Kuriotates can only have 3 real cities, but they are huge "super cities".

Those are just the major features on top of what was developed in FfH1 (diverse religions, heroes, increased upgrade options, increased promotion options) and doesn't include the hundreds of minor inclusions that really make the game.
But would it be right to say that FFH1 is "complete/final" so to speak, or was it just abandoned in favour of the development of FFH2?

Zuffox said:
But would it be right to say that FFH1 is "complete/final" so to speak, or was it just abandoned in favour of the development of FFH2?

FfH1 is complete. We always knew Firaxis's schedule on the SDK so we planned a product that didn't need it. There are still a few players that prefer FfH1 (and its still has the more replys than any other thread in the modpacks forum, with FfH2 in second).

I've managed to get the deadline pushed to Friday, since I've had some... complications in the last couple of days, so there should be plenty of time to manage this.

Zuffox said:
I've managed to get the deadline pushed to Friday, since I've had some... complications in the last couple of days, so there should be plenty of time to manage this.
Have you sent Kael a copy of the article?

loki1232 said:
Have you sent Kael a copy of the article?
It's not finished yet. :mischief:

There, article ready to go, unless I receive any messages... :)

(And yes, the copy has already been sent to Kael yesterday)

Zuffox said:
There, article ready to go, unless I receive any messages... :)

(And yes, the copy has already been sent to Kael yesterday)

It looked great to me, I definitly appreicate the coverage.

Kael said:
It looked great to me, I definitly appreicate the coverage.
Well then off it goes!

it was headlined on the civfanatics frontpage ;)

so any chance for me to read this article too ?!

seZereth said:

so any chance for me to read this article too ?!
If you're talking about the one I wrote, I sent the article to Kael, who's free to distribute it to the other FFH team members.

seZereth said:

Even better its in the book you get when you buy Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles.

Kael said:
Even better its in the book you get when you buy Sid Meier's Civilization Chronicles.
You don't get better publicity than that.

C.Roland said:
Ah, I would like to read it too.

Its posted in the internal in the important news thread.

Zuffox said:
You don't get better publicity than that.
No kidding, there are over 110 people viewing this forum as of this moment!

Top Bottom