PCGamer: Best Strategy 2021: Old World

Discussion in 'Old World - General Discussions' started by The_J, Dec 22, 2021.

1. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Super Moderator Supporter

PCGamer has elected Old World as their best strategy game of 2021. Which is quite a feat, since this meant it also beat e.g. Age Of Empires 4!
    The article can be found here: https://www.pcgamer.com/best-strategy-game-2021-old-world/
    An excerpt:

Uberfrog, jguy100, uhu and 6 others like this.
  2. PiR

PiR Emperor Supporter

Quite a feat, but quite deserved!

jguy100 and Zaarin like this.
  3. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Deserved indeed. While I've enjoyed the time I've spent with AoE4, it needs a lot of quality-of-life patches before it's really a good game. I'm still baffled you can't even choose your player color. :crazyeye:

4. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

yes. its the innovations to 4x that make OW stand out, imo. takes it in directions civ should learn from

eidt to add: and the genre as a whole should learn from

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
    PiR, jguy100 and Zaarin like this.
  5. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Very well deserved, and impressive given the competition this year!

I like Age of Empires 4 a lot but it’s ultimately a game that plays it very safe. Old World brings a lot of ideas together very successfully.

Zaarin likes this.
  6. Solver

Solver Mohawk Games Designer

Personally I'm happy that AoE4 plays it safe. With the advent of MOBAs, the RTS genre pretty much died. It's been a decade since Starcraft 2 already. As someone who likes RTS but not MOBAs, I've been eager for the RTS genre to return, and AoE4 is a fantastic opportunity for that to happen. In 2021, releasing a major RTS game is in itself a risky move, so in terms of gameplay it was definitely a good idea for AoE4 to stick close to AoE2, and I'm optimistic that this is the beginning of an RTS revival, especially with a pretty strong RTS lineup likely in 2022.

Kjimmet, PiR, Uberfrog and 1 other person like this.
  7. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

Agreed. AoE4's gameplay is great. It's recognizably an Age of Empires game, but it innovates just enough to carve out its own space (in particular, I love the defensible walls--AoE4 is a turtler's dream come true). Also the documentary-style campaigns are very, very impressive, and I say that as someone skeptical of documentaries. Like I said above, I'm just waiting for it to get some quality of life polishing.

PiR and Uberfrog like this.
  8. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

Yes, agreed on all points. Playing it safe was the right choice for AoE4, and Relic have produced a very impressive game. I’ve already sunk dozens and dozens of enjoyable hours into it and can’t wait for more campaigns and civs.

But I’m still glad the more innovative Old World got the nod from PC Gamer because it’s just a wonderful piece of game design.

Kjimmet, uhu, PiR and 1 other person like this.
  9. Forster

Forster Prince

It definitely deserves the award.

jguy100 likes this.