PCGamesN: Six things Civilization fans need to know about Humankind

The_J

Say No 2 Net Validations
Administrator
Supporter
https://www.pcgamesn.com/humankind/vs-civilization

So they break down some of the main differences. I think everyone here knows them already, but still posting the link.
It seems this article was written by a true Civilization fan, given this intro :lol::
One debate that crops up every now and then among Civ fans is whether you prefer the doomstacks from Civ IV and earlier, or the one-unit-per-hex approach adopted by Civ V. Civilization VI is sort of in the middle, with some limited stacking, but Humankind offers the best of both worlds.

Individual units can stack together in an army, which has a unit cap that can be improved via techs, civics, and even culture traits. These armies move about the map as one entity, but whenever a battle occurs, individual units will unstack and spread across the local terrain, which becomes a tactical battle map determined by where the battle is taking place.

[...]

Paying attention to your environment is key – try to start fights when your army is on high ground. Once the battle is over, the units reform into the original stack (assuming any survive). Battles can last across multiple turns, as each turn on the campaign map only processes three battle rounds.

Humankind’s tactical battles take a lot of cues from one of Amplitude’s earlier 4X games, Endless Legend, and should not be ignored. You can auto-resolve them if you want, but doing so tends to produce worse results than if you fight them – and ignoring Humankind’s combat means ignoring one of its best features. Civilization fans in particular should give it a shot to see what a difference it can make to the flow of a game.

I think they've addressed the biggest differences, no?

Seems like it, except he forgot one thing (or have not been a civilization player for that long). The sea crossing issue with units getting lost at sea used to be a thing back in ye' olden days of Civ. So long ago that I didn't even think much about it so I lost a couple of a scouting units due to it. Wondering if the death galley (or early boat) tactic is a thing like it was in Civ. Where you would just send galleys on suicidal runs straight out into the ocean hoping that it would reveal interesting things about the map or that you might reach land on the other side. The tricky bit here that not all ocean tiles (or coastal tiles) have the same movement cost to them.

As noted tho I think the best part of the game is the start, the neolithic era. Scouting about, gathering things and when you got the lay of the land -- plopped down a couple of outposts and have a fair amount of scouting units built up you progress to "starting" the civilizationing of the the map. So far I think I spent about 10-15 turns or so in the neolithic era before progressing even tho the game usually suggests it long (or several turns before that). It's always that "just one more gathering spot so I can turn this excess food into another unit" or you want to claim just one more piece of land.

Top Bottom