pcx conversion

Spacer One

is there a good freeware/shareware porg that can convert pics for the civ.pcxs??

I hate asking peole to change pics for me everytime I add new stuff...
on that note...can some one make large and small Civ icons for this for me please

Spacer One said:
is there a good freeware/shareware porg that can convert pics for the civ.pcxs??

I hate asking peole to change pics for me everytime I add new stuff...
on that note...can some one make large and small Civ icons for this for me please

I was thinking about making that ship into a unit soon... :)

Flamand said:
I was thinking about making that ship into a unit soon... :)

You have to be quicker than that :D

Spacer, you have to convert your pcx images to indexed mode (ie, uses a palette) for them to work in Civ3. If you're using GIMP, right-click on the image, go to Image>Mode>Indexed, and enter a number less than 256.

I havnt used gimp if you set index to 254 will it then make the green and magic pink ones or will Spacer One need to specify those in GIMP?

I always make the first one magenta the second one green but I use PS so its the opposite of PSP and I assume GIMP also.

In the palette used by GIMP & PaintShopPro, the last color should be magenta (ff00ff or 255-0-255) and the second to last should be lime green (00ff00 or 0-255-0).

In the Palette used by photoshop the first color should be magenta (same values) and the second color should be lime green.

If you are in doubt, open a good working image (such as those that came with the game) and look at the palette in your paint program.

I dont understand why people do not like PS the pen tool in PSP acts so alien I have trouble using it to draw.
BTW the color you refer to as magenta 255 0 255 is magic pink the color used by windows xp for transparancy also ;)

Badkarma, I have only ever heard of one person prefering PaintShopPro to PhotoShop. Most of those who use PSP can not afford the price of PS. After all, it is roughly 10x as much (bundle vs. bundle or bare vs. bare)...

Personally I only use PS and can't stand PSP... although PSP can import IFF and PS can not; So I keep it installed for working with Lightwave.

Ok I was just wondering because everyone seems to like to refer to PSP and yes you are right PS is pretty expensive. I thought .IFF
Amiga Interchange File Format - Photoshop can read and write to this file format at a maximum of 8 bits per pixel. On my PSCS CD there is extra file formats you can install .IFF is one...........is the .IFF you are talking about a different format?

No, the IFF I was refering to was the old Amiga one. Lightwave goes back to the Amiga and the Video Toaster. I had a bunch of IFF files which PS (cs2) could not open, and PSP did. It is possible that there is some add-on on CD that would fix this. But that would require me finding my CD. Something I have tried and failed to do for weeks.

Top Bottom