Peace lover? Wardog? Techno nerd? Which are you?

I'm probably the Peace Lover and Religious Junkie. But when it comes to demands from other civs, no way do I agree. Even if it means war. :D

In Civilization 3, I mostly was an early attacker, eliminating my neighbors for land, then I'd go to behind-kisser/expander and get big and sucker the AI into bonehead trades in my favor, before I nuke them all into dust.

In almost all of my games, I'm a rouge nation. :lol: If I have I want, I'm happy. But if the AI has something I want, I take it from them. Once, playing as the Greeks and going for a DIPLOMATIC victory, I wound up taking over the globe via domination. I didn't mean to do it, I just kept annexing a little bit at a time -- getting that luxury I needed, taking a resource away from a civ so I could sell it back to them, making my borders easier to defend...eventually everyone was miffed at me for being such a bully, so I nuked everyone on principle. :lol:

Peace lover + techno nerd, unless another civ starts crowding me. Then I crush them :-D.

I've played most of my Civ games with extremely strong focus on technology, followed closely by economy. I would go mostly defensive military--until somebody committed an offense against me, at which point I would launch a vicious counterattack.

Lately, having realized that I've been playing too "nice", I've been having some fun with being outright nasty. A short while ago I had fun nuking half the planet until almost every tile was polluted, and in my next game after that, I committed an ROP rape that would give most of you gray hair. :)

My current (heavily modded) game is gonna be even worse. Think, bad guy from the get-go. :evil:

I try to keep the peace, but you always need that extra resource that the AI has. And then it just all gets out of control and its me vs. the rest of the world. And then the nukes rain down. :)

I am culture addicted. I like most to see the message that another AI city chased its governor out of town and BEGGED me to take it over:D

My temples are my swords.:)

But if those nerds in the greedy AI cities next to my frontier refuse too long to bow their heads under the pressure of my culture:worship: , sometimes I will see me forced to "help" them to get temples and libraries in their cities.
They will be lucky if they like or not:ar15:

I like ancient and middle ages war, and will almost always engage in at least some. I finish a lot of my games by domination or conquest before infantry show up, particularly if the level is low or the start is good.

Starting at replaceable parts, though, war gets too tedious. I just can't stand moving hundreds of units per turn, and I will almost always go for a peaceful victory, if at all possible, if the game lasts that long. Unfortunately for me, that has meant that my late-game warmongering is pretty bad from lack of experience -- if I'm not already in control of the game, it's rough going.

axehaxe said:
I'm a trickster :p . I look for the AI's funniest stupidities and do em thru those holes. Lets face it, the AI declares war on you when you've payed them 375 gold and 33 gpt for printing press cuz you asked them to get the fudge out. :lol: No more 33 for them! Then I trade it to the other civs for more techs, take a few cities from that 'big winner' civ, ask them for that 375 you gave them a long time ago, and literally you've stolen a tech for 0 cost.

Couldn't agree more. I feel it is my moral obligation to punish the AI for all of their stupidities. When some stupid civ sneak attacks me with cavalry, and I have 150 tanks - it is my duty to destroy them. When some stupid civ is willing to give me 1050 gpt for nationalism when I am already in the modern era, I take it. If they are fool enough to build a city 10 tiles from my capital, I will culturally overwhelm it. In short, I take great satisfaction in exploiting the stupidity of the AI.

I like technology only for the military superiority. I'm fairly peaceful in the Ancient Age, just grabbing as much unowned real estate as possible, then in the Middle Ages I start pushing borders here and there, and ideally picking up a GL. Once I have a GL, and ideally hit cavalry and the prospect of future armies, then bloodlust takes over and peace is just a breather between wars while I figure out which civ needs to go next. I've been known to knock off a weak civ only because it was the 9th one remaining and making the diplo screen require a few more clicks. :mischief:

Usually if i'm on a large island i'll wipe out the civs that are on the island with me and then sit and wait for the AI to do something, all while building up my army with technologically advanced units.

I would say im an oportunistic builder and scientist. Im mostly peacefull in the very early game. After the expansion phase is almost over someone will usually end up declaring war on me because they think I have a weak millitary. That is my signal to befin building up my millitary with my big improved cities. In my first war I will try to hold them off until my millitary is supirior and then I will take a few of the enemy's small cityies either by millitary conquest or in the peace treaty. After that I will slowly grow in power from science and small skirmishes from other civs. Once I am a little bit more advanced than a nearby rival I will declar war and fight untill I defeat them. by that time It will be in the middleto late middle ages and I will have made a superpower usually along with another 1 or two civs that I traded techs with. Depending on how powerfull the other civs and i am I will either coninue to compete for power with the strong civs or I will have a huge technological advantage over everyone else and I will use that dominance to make a massive millitary and I will overrunn the weak civs that have lexuries and I will eventually win some sort of vivtory. (I always turn diplo off because its boring)

Peaceful to the point of pacifism and declared techno-nerd.
Early on I spread out my empire, all the while aiming for CoL, Phil and Republic for an economy boost that allows me to stay ahead on the research front. Then I basically focus on zooming ahead on the tech tree, while being very nice to all my neighbours. If I have to turn down a deal from them, I always give them a small monetary gift as compensation, and that also helps to keep them from making unreasonable demands.
Somewhere in the middle age I start to settle down and expand upwards rather than outwards. In the Industrial Age I do all I can to aquire coal and iron for my railroads, even if it means helping an AI to my technological level so that they can trade it with me. Usually it can be done with some heavy cultural border-pushing, though.
Toward the end-game, once I have build Adam Smith's and the Wall Street, and most of my cities are making wealth, I can switch to a 0.9.1 income distribution to research even faster.
As I reach the modern age, I will usually go for the spaceship if I have access to Aluminium and Uranium, or an easy diplomatic victory(because I've never been at war, and have plenty of techs for bribes) if I haven't.
Oh, and I always switch off cultural victory, ever since I got it by accident while building my spaceshp in my very first game of Civ III.

Should the worst happen, and an AI opponent declare war, I will usually be sufficiently advanced to destroy them. An army of cavalry is no match for a few tanks.

This is a great idea for a thread, thanks for starting it.

I've only played one full game on Civ III to the modern era of technology but the strategy which I favor for global conquest is as follows:

Explorer (key: Mapmaking Tech)-My first priority in the game, beyond discovering the initial environs where I'm placed is to make contact with every civilization I can. By doing so, not only do you know where everyone is located by you can also ascertain what technologies everyone holds. Due to unique civ traits all the civilizations start with different technology. If you can trade with technology with every civilization you know, you can end up with the sum total of all that technology. With this approach you will end up helping some rival civilizations with technology but ultimately you benefit the most by acquiring the best of the tech out there. Odds are, your rivals won't explore as aggressively as you limiting this strategy on their behalf. To get in contact with many civs you are going to need emphasis seafaring tech early on.

Homeland (key: Mobile Units)-Once you've determined what kind of land you have to work with, and who your neighbors are, its time to start thinking of yourself as a nation state. For a strong homeland, you have got to figure on needing about 10% (15 to 20 cities) of the world map. This is a must because otherwise you aren't going to have the military/industrial capacity to accomplish goals later in the game. Rarely will you start with enough open land in front of you for a large consolidated homeland. You have to identify territorial opportunities. Is there a nearby island that would make logistical sense for your homeland? How is the continent shaped that you play on? Could you add through military means all the land up to a certain junction like a bottle neck in the land mass? How strong are your surrounding neighbors? If you want to engage in an early military campaign you are going to want to have at least horseback riding with the idea of developing your technology toward Cavalry. Try to take as much territory as is logistically sensible early on. Avoid a far flung civilization which is going to be very tough to defend on low levels of technology.

Industrialization (key: Railroad Tech)-Once you have a large homeland its time to focus all your energies on developing what you have. Return your empire to a defensive posture and build from within. Focus developing your industrial capacity and technological capacity first while sprinkling in Temples and Coliseums as your population grows discontent. If your cities are industrialized up through your current technologies, build wonders in the top production cities. If one city exceeds the rest in production build all your wonders there. Don't waste resources upgrading an ever evolving military. Keep your opponents at bay using diplomacy, and continue to trade technology unless you are a clear front runner in all the tech areas. Railroad is a key technology for this period because it does 2 things. 1.It improves your industrial capacity. 2. It bolsters the defense of your homeland, so in the event of an invasion you can defend yourself.

Militarization (key: Automobile)-When you have the technology and industrialization needed to quickly produce a modern military its time to do so. A modern military by definition is one which contains transports, destroyers, armors and bombers. The more advanced military technologies I classify as post-modern....helpful but not critical. With modern sea, land and air power it greatly assists defense and expansion of your empire. To defend each city, you are going to want two quality land units at least. Then extra sea power like destroyers and battleships associated with your major cities. You can never build enough transports, as they are one of the first targets by the AI in a war. I'm a proponent of a strong air force to soften up the opponents ground units, and air power is the most effective way to control the seas. The idea is to build enough excess military units that you have enough not only to defend your homeland but also to mount an invasion.

Expansion (key: Armies)- Now that you have a formidable military, its time to think about expanding your empire and eventual global conquest. To be successful in global conquest it takes more than just a good military. It requires strong diplomacy and alliance management. I find that staying out of mutual protection pacts is the best way to stay out of conflicts you don't want to be involved in. If you have too many protection pacts and get dragged into too many wars, eventually your friends will make peace with your rivals and then declare war on you. Stay out of everything you can while focusing on your own military targets. Select the weaker, more convenient opponents first to fight. That way you'll have less resistance while waging war for quicker territory acquisition. Increasingly take on more challenging opponents as your military and territory power grows. Also the most dangerous opponent isn't necessarily the largest....its the one that is going to be the most difficult to invade or disrupt. In my game, I decided to leave a dangerous but remote civilization alone until the end because of the logistical challenge of trying to score a defeat, instead going after a civ even larger at first that was easier to invade. A key to having very successful and rapid military campaigns is having armies with the ability to produce them. Armies become your sole offensive unit, to go along with air power while regular land units fill in the gaps for mostly defensive purposes.

The statistics of my current (and only civIII game):

-88% of the global population
-150 cities
-Unit capacity of 900 (communism)
-18 armies
-Destroyed 12 civilizations
-1 remaining civ (Iroquois) with 12% of global population

Personally, i'm the kind of person who keeps to a peaceful relationship up until i've built my war-machine. once thats done i remember all the times the AI's have backstabbed me and then i return the favor (i play durty). all the time i pay special attention to my research level, i dont plan to be better just to be equal.

I'm definatly a tech freak and I love expansionism. Here I use different ways: short and heavy wars(with superior technology), a little cultural power(when I have a technology first, so I'm the first how can start to build wonders of it), a vast settelment campain and of course a little "negotiation"(I'd like to have that city or ...)

Top Bottom