1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Peace treaty never ends...

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Bug Reports' started by glee, Oct 9, 2008.

1. glee

glee Chieftain

I landed in the New World and built a Settlement.

Soon another European power met me. We agreed to be at peace, share World Maps and have Open Borders.
    Then they built a Settlement adjacent to mine. :(
    So I bought some cannon, created a couple of dragoons and set out to claim their land. :)

I cancelled Open Borders, but got messages that the Peace Treaty 'can't be cancelled at this time' and 'Peace Treaty lasts 10 turns'.
    After 20 turns, I still couldn't attack, nor would Diplomacy let me declare War.

What is going on?

2. glee

glee Chieftain

Sorry I didn't post the Saved game where this happened, but I was irritated! :blush:

In my next game, I'm all set to attack a European neighbour (this continent isn't big enough for the both of us ;) ) and there is no Peace Treaty.
    I demand all his money in tribute, he gives it - and now there's a Peace Treaty!

So does a tribute demand cause a Peace Treaty?
    And does this take form of Peace Treaty longer than 10 turns to expire?

3. benfp

benfp Chieftain

As in Civilization IV, I believe whenever you :
    - Demand a tribute
    - Demand a present
    - Reply positively to a tribute/present demand
    - Open borders

It sets up a 10 turns limited forced peace. After the 10 turns, you should be able to declare war.

As for the 20 turns problem, it seems weird and a save file would help here.

4. glee

glee Chieftain

Thanks.

I have seen a Peace Treaty appear when I

- Demand a tribute
    - Demand a present
    - Reply positively to a tribute/present demand

but not when I agree Open Borders

I will post a save the next time it happens.

5. glee

glee Chieftain

I've now had a game where the announcement 'Peace Treaty cancelled' came up.

I suspect that I may have used my Civ4 habit of demanding all my rival's money just before successfully invading them.
    This is not possible in Colonization (and I think it's an improvement!)

6. hansbobo24

hansbobo24 Chieftain

I experienced this same problem yesterday. I had an open borders agreement with a foreign power. After maybe 20-30 turns, I canceled open borders to take some of his colonies. After canceling the border treaty, I found myself in a 10 turn peace treaty.

I don't know if it was stuck at 10 turns, but a peace treaty shouldn't be forced when you peacefully cancel an open borders agreement.

----------------------EDIT----------------------------
    It's not when I cancel an open borders agreement. The 10-turn peace treaty occurs when I demand tribute and they accept. I don't think that should happen.