1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Peaceful Celtia

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by lasombra1984, Apr 26, 2010.

1. lasombra1984

lasombra1984 Prince

Is playing Boudica or Brennus without warmorgering makes sense? :)
    If thus - please make several tips.

2. CreeDakota

CreeDakota King

Brennus has good traits for a Culture game actually.

3. lasombra1984

lasombra1984 Prince

Spiritual for Temples+Mysticism for Early religion+Charismatic Stonehenge/Eiffel Tower?

4. Fleme

Fleme Obey the Kitty!

Both of Brennus' traits go well for both war and peace. He's actually one of the most versatile leaders in the game and as such there's no reason to shy away from a peaceful game with him. Boudica, on the other hand is probably the most adept at pure warring and I wouldn't forgo the delicious combo of AGG/CHM for a peaceful game when I you have supersoldiers so easily accessible.

5. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

I prefer monuments to stonehenge for culture, since stonehenge monuments don't double in culture after 1000 years.

I won a cultural game with Boudica on immortal once, it wasn't planned. I was about to invade someone (Pacal I think) with gallics, axes and catapults but then he got magic longbows. Then I teched for a bit and got liberalism first, taking nationalism I think. I had 3 religions I think by then so decided culture would be the easiest route.

Here's the game in the HoF

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/game_info.php?show=playerlog&dsply=&entryID=17050

I didn't build any world wonders at all either.

EDIT: Hah, I got Music with liberalism ;) Maybe the free artist was available. I have no idea ;)

6. Udey1

Udey1 Prince

Go to war with Boudica otherwise she is wasted. She is second only to Churchill. (Whose UU and UB support turning the world English in Renaissance/Industrial Era)

7. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Well that was the plan. It can be difficult getting a tech lead on immortal/quick speed though.

EDIT: It was Inland Sea too, so there were only 2 civs to attack, one on each side. I think it was Pacal one way and Ragnar the other. I was geared up to attack Pacal when huge numbers of longbows popped up = guaranteed loss in the war.

8. gfm

gfm Refuses to Talk!!!

I see Charismatic as a pretty powerful economic trait : +2 :) in every city is a powerful boost. Of course, the Aggressive Boudica lends herself well to warring, but Spiritual Brennus is a very flexible leader. No-anarchy civics and religion swaps to please your neighbours is a great way to prevent declarations of war, actually. Cheap Temples might give you a small boost towards Culture, too.

Ultimately, though, the map dictates. I find the strategy in my games is usually decided by the map (50%) and my rivals (40%). That only leaves 10% up to my leader traits... It's not uncommon for me to go Space or Diplo with Tokugawa, Boudica, Napoleon, Ragnar...

Then again modern wars take sooooooooooo long to finish that I usually go for the faster (real-life time) ending.

EDIT: I find it funny that the Celts, the French and the Americans are hoarding the Charismatic leaders. These three civilizations combined offer 6 out of the 9 Charismatic leaders (the rest being Hannibal, Churchill and Cyrus) !

9. lasombra1984

lasombra1984 Prince

In my opinion Charismatic is virtually a trait that describes leader's ability to:
    1. Inspire people under any circumstances (Washington, De Gaulle, Churchill, Boudica)
    2. Be loved by his or her people (Lincoln, Cyrus)
    3. Lead people by his will and authority (Napoleon, Hannibal, Brennus)

10. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

Its a pretty significant boost in fact as you need a certain number of temples to build the religions +50% :culture: cathedral.

Something else on Brennus, he's one of only 2 leaders who have Spiritual and starts with Hunting, this means Warriors are much less likely to be available as a source of cheap :) under HR. Spiritual brings the :hammers: cost of temples down low enough to be worth building for the :) (40:hammers:, no maintenance) if compared to things like axes (35:hammers:).

Both Brennus traits are very flexible and are of use in peace or war.