Pennsylvania special election for house

So what happened in the end? Do we know who won yet? Which (or both) are running for which district in the mid-terms?

So what happened in the end? Do we know who won yet? Which (or both) are running for which district in the mid-terms?

LOL...neither. Their district won't exist in November since the current districting has been deemed to be excessively gerrymandered.

Yeah, I got that. I understood that one or both of them were expected to register for 2 of the new districts, and they had to register by a week after the election.

Dems inehrently 'lose' the tough on terror/crime/whatever argument just by nature of their platform,

And let it be noted that the reason for this is that "tough on crime" was a narrative specifically crafted to attack the Democrats' platform by making it impossible to defend within the terms of the narrative.

Then the republicans say that the Dem's still aren't tough on Crime and push to re-instate "Death by Vivisection" for anyone accused of a crime, reguardless of what the crime is or whether or not they're actually guilty.

just a not to any fellow Illinoisans, today is primary day so if you don't vote you can't complain.
I'll be trying out the Dem primary ballot today. A different and hopefully refreshing change.

Feel free but I retain the right to chide those that do.
If this was Russia, maybe. But while there are those that make every attempt to limit opponents from the ballot, it's not that bad yet.

Please quote where I said that. I think it's the minimum.

Feel free but I retain the right to chide those that do.
If this was Russia, maybe. But while there are those that make every attempt to limit opponents from the ballot, it's not that bad yet.

Good looking out. I still need to sign up for an absentee ballot.

Please quote where I said that. I think it's the minimum.

I mean, saying "if you don't vote, you can't complain" implies it pretty hard
If I protest, petition, organize, but don't vote, I don't think someone who only votes has the right to say anything to me about it, actually.

if you protest, petition, organize, and don't vote, yeah, I will still chide you because you haven't done the most important.
I've done all of those and even run for office, so I stand by my statement. You, as always, are also entitled to your opinion.

if you protest, petition, organize, and don't vote, yeah, I will still chide you because you haven't done the most important.
I've done all of those and even run for office, so I stand by my statement. You, as always, are also entitled to your opinion.

I know people who in the last national election didn't vote, because they had not returned from volunteering in Nevada. Their efforts there had far more potential to influence outcomes than another vote in California would have. Not presenting them as any kind of general case, but they are a valid exception to your rule.

So the "minimum" is also the "most important?" That doesn't make much sense. I think my efforts canvassing New Hampshire were considerably more important than my vote in DC, too.

Make whatever exception you want to justify your opinion. It is your right.
I will stand by my opinion that voting is the most important. It all starts there.
But I'll give an a one time pass to them. Happy?

And I see no conflict with the minimum being important. Even your effort was to influence others most important task. Without which you effort would have been meaningless.

But it's silly to argue tiny points with other conscientious citizens. It's the effort and desire that matters most and I believe we both have it.

And I see no conflict with the minimum being important. Even your effort was to influence others most important task. Without which you effort would have been meaningless.

But it's silly to argue tiny points with other conscientious citizens. It's the effort and desire that matters most and I believe we both have it.

"Voting is easy and marginally useful, but it is a poor substitute for democracy, which requires direct action by concerned citizens."
-Howard Zinn

I actually think this is an important point. Voting is the bare minimum because it's only marginally meaningful. The reason is simple: the legislative and governing processes are so thoroughly dominated by powerful lobbying interests that for the majority of issues the same things are going to happen no matter which candidate wins.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...age-citizens/62327F513959D0A304D4893B382B992B
Multivariate analysis indicates that economic elites and organised groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on US government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence.

What I'm trying to say here is, you are free to engage in whatever magical thinking you wish about the importance of voting. But if you "chide" me based on your incorrect understanding, I will write an angry internet post demonstrating why your views are wrong :lol:

Reactions: rah
I've missed one election that I can remember. (not including special elections)
Because I was working around the clock covering the election, overseeing systems that were collecting voter information to report and predict results. I worked for almost 24 hours straight, but at the end, when I realized that I hadn't actually voted, I was disappointed with myself. feel free to Chide me.

Top Bottom