People actually play on huge maps?

nfw

King
I usually play standards but for a change of pace I started a huge/3 continent/30 civ game. The time between turns isn't too horrible on my PC but the sheer amount of time to move my stacks from one side of the continent to another was excruciating (why isn't movement scaled?). In retrospect I should probably have multiple SoDs.

Now I have finally pacified my own continent there are 2 more to go! Funnily enough 1 entire continent had no religion until I made contact.

I used to play huge maps alot. You know, I wanted the feeling of "playing the world". THe aim there was not so much meeting one of the victory conditions asap but enjoying the ride.

however, as you said, turns get so long that it becomes a pain. now I play standard maps where one game lasts between 2:30h-4:30h and the most modern unit is usually a cuirassier if not a trebuchet.

I mostly play huge maps on marathon. Games take weeks of real time, not hours. (Although I don't play more than two or three times per week for a few hours.) If I choose to play for a military victory, which I usually don't, I will have from two to four SODs once I get rolling.

When I play its almost exclusively huge maps on marathon. My typical games range anywhere from 7-20 hours and take more than one session. I like the vastness for expansion and the increased time that units are useful before they become obsolete.

If Your PC can handle 30+ cityspammers aka. computer players You are good to go as You are ;) If not than go buy a better computer ! hehe :D ;)

When I play its almost exclusively huge maps on marathon. My typical games range anywhere from 7-20 hours and take more than one session.
I play almost exclusively standard normal speed and my games take anywhere from 7-20 hours...:crazyeye:

I'm another huge/marathon fan. But I only use the default (11) number of civs. My games typically take a month to complete. If I'm lucky, I get an hour a day to play.

I generally play huge/epic games to a domination win. Games take around 30-40 hours of playtime but I don't micromanage and my fairly old PC can just about keep up with the demands. Near the game end, turns take 40-50 minutes and the AI do their stuff in 3 minutes or so.

The last game I finished was quite quick, around 30 hours in a number of sessions. I racked up about 105 cities and 177 workers (that's a record number of workers for me I think). I also had 2 vassals with 15 cities between them.

I just don't have the stamina to play these games to conquest.

I been playing lately Huge Earth map, it takes a while to get used to, all that space, but so far, it has been fun, long, but fun.

I just don't have the stamina to play these games to conquest.

Vassal them quickly. Problem solved.

Domination games take a little longer than conquest because you need to take and keep some land (thereby needing to protect it), unlike conquest where you can just cap everyone as soon as they agree to and move immediately to the next target.

OT: When I started playing civ (both III and IV), it was always at huge. Then eventually, I got tired of moving stacks over long distances and as my skills improved, I needed to micro cities more. Now I stick to standard size just because it's easier to manage. I would like some modern military action (which I used to get often when playing huge maps) but the majority of my games @standard size are finished before I get nukes.

Since exploration is one of my favorite parts of the game, I prefer huge/marathon myself. I think it scales better than standard.

Yes, the years it takes to circumnavigate or march to defend the other side of the continent, even on marathon can be an immersion breaker sometimes.

The hell? How is it possible to win on C2C in 20 hours...it should take much longer.

Since exploration is one of my favorite parts of the game, I prefer huge/marathon myself. I think it scales better than standard.
I really enjoy exploration too and think I would like huge/marathon. But I haven't made the time to get very far in one.

Me too. I play the Caveman to Cosmos mod on huge maps. I've spent over 20 hours on a game.
I spend over 20 hours on almost all my games. Which are generally the xOTM games and usually normal speed.

I'll typically play Fall from Heaven on huge maps (epic or marathon time speed). Makes for a REALLY long game, that oftentimes takes weeks to finish. I just feel like that size gives me plenty of room in different environments to expand my civ.

Top Bottom