1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

People are Strange

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MantaRevan, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton King, Warrior, Prophet, Magician, Lover

What makes you think the word "strange" is meant to refer to one's relationship to oneself in the context of this thread?. It isn't. It is about how other people view you. And in this context, strange doesn't just mean not something I have not got to known in its specifics so far, but something of which's very nature is outside of the realm of behaviors and traits considered normal by what one believes to be common consensus.

So, I find it odd that you find something odd which people don't actually do.
    Interesting. But what means dysfunctional and where did you get the percentage from?

2. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Billions and Billions

No idea and I just heard it, so it's probably not verified. Never mind the difficulty of verifying any such number anyway.

But I'd believe that dysfunctional could include so many, since psychology and psychiatry seem to establish various ideals very divorced from reality regarding our relationships and behavior. How many people have this mental disorder or that?

3. Atticus

Atticus Deity Retired Moderator

I don't mean in this thread specifically but in broader context. I have read people describing themselves strange, and found it strange.

Some people have called me strange, sometimes due to a clown act done with serious face, which I don't find being my strangeness, but rather an act. I wouldn't want to be called strange on that account, since I'd like not to be a person who tries to act strange.

Sometimes they have said it for reasons I just can't understand, and sometimes even being strange themselves, like "People just don't think that way [like you do], that 'If I think this, I have to think also this'".

Some of my habits I've noticed to be strange as I've changed as time has gone by. One day for example, I realized that it's pretty odd that I had primarily red shirts because "why buy any other colour when I like red more", or that I can eat for months same food once every day without getting bored to it.

On the other hand, people are strange in general. Everyone is strange when you just look deep or long enough, and I know not how often other people are called strange, so I can't judge by the feedback I've got.

4. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

Guess I'll add my list of completely normal personality quarks:

- If I'm alone, I enjoy belting the vulgarest lyrics in a pseudo operatic tone. I've been caught doing this once.

- I have a few stock characters that I slip into when conversation is warmed up. One of these is a highly intellectual redneck. Not very creative, no, but it really works wonders in conversation sometimes.

- Cotton Candy sends me into a submurderous rage. The kinda rage that doesn't affect this dimension, but the ripples cascading from my furrowed brow have been known to wipe great civilizations in the alterspheres from their podiums.

- Once I wrote 25 poems about cats, purposely as boring as possible, then took them to an open mic. I read one, feigned horrible embarrassment and vowed never to return again. Then I came back later, and read the other 24 as if they were the best thing ever. I never really figured out, or even asked, why I did this. Until today :confused:

5. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

People say I'm strange, but as far as I'm concerned I'm the only normal person in the world.

Everyone else in the world is messed up & weird beyond belief.

6. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Normal people are just people you don't know very well.

7. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

Sweet.

8. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I don't know. I never talk to anyone and I don't do anything. I guess I'm more like a prop in the background that should be ignored.

9. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

props, prop

10. NickyJ

NickyJ Retired Narrator

I'd have to say I'm strange. I wear different clothes, I listen to different music, blah blah blah. And for the final confirmation, I think other people are strange, so yeah, I'm strange.

11. Terxpahseyton

You know, if you are in a crappy situation it is alright or at least natural to feel sorry for oneself (as you obviously do). But if that is all you do - instead of trying to influence and change things that bother you (which you don't appear to do), a possibility you certainly have in many cases - is just is jerk-behavior to bother us with your problems so we can feel sorry for you, too.

12. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Me? Strange? HELL YES.
    Autistic, Lives life by Game Release Dates....
    How can I not be weird? :p

13. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

I guess I should just leave.

14. Terxpahseyton

Gosh you are doing it again. No, you should set yourself goals relating to what bothers you presently and then try to achieve those goals. Then you are welcome to complain in my book.

15. Ai Shizuka

Ai Shizuka King

Kinda strange, in a good way.

Trying to elaborate:
    way above average intellect and learning skills who decided to drop college and enlist into the army from the bottom level (Italian army).
    Won the selection for NCO (16K candidates for 91 positions), then proceeded to mangle my right elbow in a horse accident, so I've been forced to keep going on my mediocre grunt career.

Maybe I'm not really a strange person, but a lot of people find me interesting.
    I love my army but I hate the mediocrity of the bottom levels.
    I have the intellect to do pretty much everything but I don't really want to commit myself to anything.

So I love and hate a lot of stuff at the same time. My current goal is to find a way to make some quick cash (not millions, just some decent cash), F everything and go trash myself somewhere in the caribbeans.

16. IglooDude

IglooDude Enforcing Rule 34 Retired Moderator Supporter

I appear strangely normal to aquaintances.

17. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

I am "eccentric".

If I were not rich, I would instead be "weird".

"Always remember that you are unique, just like evryone else."

18. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

These are the reasons why my friends think I am strange.

I sing Wakko's World randomly.
    I have 8 national anthems in my ipod
    I know the Kings and Queens of England/Britain and the US presidents by heart.
    About 15% of my music library is classical music
    I enjoy talking about Ottoman History
    I folded up my jacket and wore it as a hat in class
    I took a British Flag to school and waved it whilst singing Zadok the Priest on the last day of school.
    I ask my female friends if their boobs are hard or soft. (It's okay! I'm gay! And these are good friends)

I don't really find any of them strange though. Unusual maybe. But not strange.

19. Defiant47

Defiant47 Peace Sentinel

I'm 33% metalhead, 33% accountant, 33% nerd, and 100% military. I'm probably pretty strange.

20. aronnax

aronnax Let your spirit be free

That is strange, being an accountant.