People in restaurant stand up for gay couple

What makes you think I think they cannot? I never said any such thing. Thing is, they shouldn't HAVE to. They're the fairer sex, ya? It's our duty to step up and deal with someone giving a lady guff. Has nothing to do whatsoever with their ability or lack thereof to deal with the situation.

However, this thread is more properly about the video, not my attitudes towards how men and women deal with things. I just brought it up because I understand why less stood up for the guys than for the gals.
You're obviously a chauvinist pig for suggesting women shouldn't be treated like crap :mad:

[/joke]

The piece about New York was recorded in New York state or New York city?
In big towns people tends to mind their own business much more than in a small town in the country.
It's not surprising that more people stands-up in a small place in Texas.

Similarly I'm not surprised that more people helped the women couple than the men couple.
We tend to think that men have to deal with their own problems, regardless of their sexual orientation.

It made me think about what would I do if I see something like that happening.
Probably I would talk to the manager and to the waitress when she would approach me.
Probably I would not stand-up and make a scene.

What would you do in the same situation?

I'm not saying you're a bad person, but yeah, your attitude is sexist. Chivalrous, but sexist.
Opening the door, offering the hand when getting out of a car, offer help to carry something, etc. maybe seen as sexist, but they are seen as good education in many places.

Where I come from this is considered the expected behaviour, failing to comply is seen as rather rude (especially by women).

I discovered that a lot of girls appreciate chivalrous men, even if their attitude may be seen as sexist.

Only in very rare cases I found a girl that considered such gestures as sexist.
A quick explanation and some humor fixed the issue immediately. :)

Same here, like the other day when I met my sister, she was carrying three bags with her, but I didnt offer help. Sure, my hands were free, but if she needed help she has a mouth to ask.

Really? That's bizzare. Did your parents teach you to help people? I'm not trying to be rude, I just find it strange that you wouldn't help someone whose burden you could lessen. Do you normally help people?

I stopped enjoying the video when it was revealed it was all set up.

I feel bad it's deceiving such good and honest people... :(

I've never seen anyone feel that they were not bettered for the experience after they found out it wasn't real. The only people you ever see who are irritated or offended are the ones who know that they just did or said something less than virtuous on national television. The stand-up guys are always cool about it.

What makes you think I think they cannot? I never said any such thing. Thing is, they shouldn't HAVE to. They're the fairer sex, ya? It's our duty to step up and deal with someone giving a lady guff. Has nothing to do whatsoever with their ability or lack thereof to deal with the situation.

However, this thread is more properly about the video, not my attitudes towards how men and women deal with things. I just brought it up because I understand why less stood up for the guys than for the gals.

I can understand this attitude, even though I don't understand what you mean by 'fairer' . I do it too, but mostly because I have ulterior motives as opposed to an old-fashioned upbringing.

Unless she's Natalie Mains or Jane Fonda I guess.

Fairer is in the eye of the beholder. I'll help out anyone in a tough situation and I don't really care about which bathroom they use. Besides, some women deserve to get guff. Still, when a couple is involved I think it's already 2 people so I may not necessarily say anything.

Really? That's bizzare. Did your parents teach you to help people? I'm not trying to be rude, I just find it strange that you wouldn't help someone whose burden you could lessen. Do you normally help people?

It's not that I don't help people, it's that I don't make it my business to inject myself, unless the person appears to be struggling; in that case I will offer help. Like, I live in a building with no elevator so if I see a parent pulling a stroller up the stairs I will indeed offer to help. And if you ask for help, trust me I will.

homosexual marriage can't actually become even close to as common as interracial marriage, and it can't meet the definition of everyday either

Interracial marriages comprise ~5% of all marriages total according to my somewhat dated Sociology textbook. A quick google search tells me that wiki rates interracial marriages at 14% in 2008 and that according to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, in 2002, only 2.9 percent of all marriages were interracial.

Estimates for the gay population of America vary from 2% to 25% from various sources of course, but a more official guesstimate (IMO) from my Sociology textbook places it at approximately 10%.

I think that's close to being as common as interracial marriage.

Maybe, but the rate of homosexuality > the rate of homosexual marriage > the rate of homosexual parents.

According to the video in the OP, only about 1 in 5 gay couples are currently raising children. That brings the proportion of people that are involved in a gay child-rearing relationship down to about 2%, which is similar to, say, the proportion of Americans making at least $250,000 a year.

Interracial marriages comprise ~5% of all marriages total according to my somewhat dated Sociology textbook. A quick google search tells me that wiki rates interracial marriages at 14% in 2008 and that according to the U.S. Bureau of the Census, in 2002, only 2.9 percent of all marriages were interracial.

Estimates for the gay population of America vary from 2% to 25% from various sources of course, but a more official guesstimate (IMO) from my Sociology textbook places it at approximately 10%.

How is 10% of the population homosexual if only 2.3% of adults admit to have had a homosexual partner in the past five years?

Because the definition of homosexual has nothing to do with whether or not you have a homosexual partner?

Because the definition of homosexual has nothing to do with whether or not you have a homosexual partner?
By partner someone they had sex with, usually if someone is only attracted to one gender they will have a sexual encounter with someone of that gender
Just because you don't admit something doesn't make it false.

This kind of logic is how I've seen claims that 50%+ of women have been abused by their significant other

homosexual marriage [...] can't meet the definition of everyday either
er, it's not like these are 3 day vegas weddings on techno buses filled with hairless gym-toned men in sailor hats and tight vinyl capris pelvis thrusting to the beat. Decent people having lasting decent marriages. I'd call the numerous potential gay marriages enough to be "everyday". If you go into town you're likely to run across a number of gay people, say at a Vallejo supermarket. You just wouldn't know it.

Isn't New York full of bankers?
Yes, aelf, and as much as I love ya, if I do a good job I might be one of them :D:devil::cool:

I'll be honest and say that I would've just sat there eating my food and not do the "right" thing and get into other people's business.

Top Bottom