1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

People seem to not understand something about continents (Indonesia)

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by KevinJK, Jul 16, 2013.

1. KevinJK

KevinJK Warlord

There are always four continents on a map as far as the game is concerned. When a map is generated, every non-water tile is assigned to be Africa, America, Asia, or Europe. Every one of them, and all four are always used. If you play Indonesia on a Pangaea map, just go found your spice cities on another part of the supercontinent. It's not a situational trait. There's a gamble in that you might start right next to tiles that are considered another continent and you might not, but it isn't situational.

2. Yzman

Yzman Deity

I don't quite understand what you are saying. Are you saying that on a Pangea map, different sides of the same continent are considered separate continents?

I was always under the impression that a continent to the game was something that can only be reached by embarking, so for example if there is a mountain range that divides a continent totally, it would be considered 2 continents.

And what about map scripts like archipelago? Are you saying there is only 4 continents on those?

3. KevinJK

KevinJK Warlord

Yes to all.

A continent as the game is concerned is not the same as what you would think. There are always four: Africa, America, Asia, and Europe. Every land tile gets assigned them and, yes, there may be a continental divide right in the middle of a large landmass you'd call a continent.

4. PrimoXanthous

PrimoXanthous ~ knightmare13 ~

actually you don't need to found cities to have those exclusive spice. Just conquer a CS or any city on other continent type. You know the Indonesian bug. :crazyeye:

5. Yzman

Yzman Deity

And how exactly is someone supposed to know in game where these boundaries are?

What of island maps? There are more than 4 islands often. How do those function?

6. ToodleElNoodos

ToodleElNoodos Warlord

Islands are not connected and are therefore considered a continent.

7. PrimoXanthous

PrimoXanthous ~ knightmare13 ~

play 5 games take screen shot of each grassland and mountains and forest, and american continent forest looks like on fall season, while European forest looks in spring, Asian looks like just a normal forest, African forest looks so very dirty same as their mountains. :D

8. Princeofnigeria

Princeofnigeria The illustrious

This is false. Conquistadors cannot found anywhere on the supercontinent of Pangea, despite the fact that their ability is worded the same.

9. ToodleElNoodos

ToodleElNoodos Warlord

You guys think it depends on size? Playing on Tiny.

I just tried this out on what I thought were different continents (literally, other side of Pangaea) and nothing. So ya sorry OP, but for now, I can say that it Pangaea is 1 continent.

10. I_qua_I

I_qua_I Prince

KevinJK is wrong.

11. Twahn

Twahn Chieftain

This doesn't seem to be the case. I settled a city on a single hill tile completely cut off by mountains and got nothing...

12. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

Sorry, Kev, most of what you've said is wrong (don't want some players to get confused).

13. KevinJK

KevinJK Warlord

The game actually does define continents for each tile, though. You're telling me these get ignored anyway?

Well, I was wrong then. That's very strange for it to not use them, but whatever.

14. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

those are flags for the art assets so that the game knows which type of desert or forest etc to show. Ie, it's all graphics related.

15. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

It would be even stranger for the game to use arbitrary invisible lines for Indonesia's UA instead.

16. ToodleElNoodos

ToodleElNoodos Warlord

No worries. A lot of us were hoping it was true so Indonesia would be a lot more enjoyable.

It's alright though. They rock on Archipelago, Fractals, and Large Islands. Pangaea is still doable, but it's harder finding islands to settle on. They seem to always spawn OPPOSITE of Indonesia. XD

17. SexyDexy

SexyDexy Chieftain

Sorry to post in a dead thread but incase someone stumbles upon this thread, most abilities depend on landmasses when they refer to continents as in Conquistadors and Indonesia's abilities