I just purchased a nice refurb mid-2012 MBP model, these are the exact specs:

15-inch: 2.6GHz

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
750GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

I'm playing the mac app-store civ v version, my video settings are all set to medium. I am mid-game on a small map, 2 continents, with 6 players and already I am experiencing a bit of lag turn-to-turn and when scrolling the field; I am in full-screen mode.

Does this sound normal? Does it make sense for the turns to take not just a few seconds but to also drop the frame rate? I have more than the recommended specs so I would assume that if I get any lag it would be near end-game. I've played this game on my 2007 MBP model and that system was well below minimum requirements and I seen the same bottlenecks; I expected it on that system but not on this system so early in the game with mid-level settings. OWC sells a 16gb kit for $100 so I might pick that up but I can't imagine that would do much here at this point.

Also, I'm wondering, it's probably not possible to link my app-store civ v game to my steam account is it? Would I have to buy this game again in order for my steam account to know I legit paid for the game? I didn't think about it when I first purchased the game in the app-store and I do have a windows boot came that I might want to try but I'm not going to buy the game again just to do that.

thanks everyone.

Welcome :wavey:

Sorry, you can't link your App Store version to the Steam system. They are entirely separate purchases using different DRM systems.

i did not see/read that and i'll give that a shot. Not sure what the update you used is, I received a 404 when trying your link, but i can figure that out later.

I'll also try that gfxcardstatus which will allow me to force using the discrete graphics card. I don't know if this is true or not but I have read in another thread, and it was very off-the-cuff, that sometimes the mbp forgets to switch to the better graphics card.

You have an integrated graphics chip, the Intel HD 4000. They say if you can't say anything nice about something, don't say anything at all. Below are my thoughts on that graphics solution:

Edit: Wait. That model also has a 650M. It should be using it, and if it's using it you shouldn't be seeing graphics-related slowdowns at medium settings.

Sorry, you can't link your App Store version to the Steam system. They are entirely separate purchases using different DRM systems.

Yeah that's what I thought; I was being wishful :). What I am not clear on though, is from what I've read multi-player in steam and with the app-store version might be different universes? i.e. steam players can't interact with app-store version players? or am i just misunderstanding?

You have an integrated graphics chip, the Intel HD 4000. They say if you can't say anything nice about something, don't say anything at all. Below are my thoughts on that graphics solution:

Edit: Wait. That model also has a 650M. It should be using it, and if it's using it you shouldn't be seeing graphics-related slowdowns at medium settings.

right, it has dual graphics; intel for low-usage and a dedicated 650M with 1GB ram for heavy lifting.

I downloaded the update that was suggested, oddly apple didn't have it on their site anymore, you go to the link but the download link on that page is dead. CNET had it though so i'll try that out. if that fails i'll force the mac to use the 650M, maybe it's just not switching over. I'll keep you posted.

thanks for all the quick responses everyone; very friendly to do so :)

Top Bottom