1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Performance or memory optimized terrain?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by player1 fanatic, Oct 20, 2016.

1. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

I need to improve performance, so instead of high, I'll use medium terrain settings.

But there are two options:
    1) Medium (Performance-Optimized)
    2) Medium (Memory-Optimized)

Which one is better for smoother gameplay if memory is not an issue (GTX 960M with 4GB VRAM)?

2. geebo

geebo Prince

I would assume performance-optimized since memory isn't an issue for you. But it hasn't released in my zone yet.

I have the same graphic card. I'm curious what graphic issues are you having with the 960M? Thanks in advance.

3. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Game works fine, no issues.

But I needed to reduce some settings to get acceptable frame rate in benchmark (that shows late game).

Started from Ultra/Ultra then customized to:
    Terrain quality put to medium (performanse-optimized?)
    Turned off High Resolution Geometry
    Lowered Ambient Occulstion resolution to 1024x1024
    Lowered shadow resolution to 4096x4096
    Put MSAA to 4x

This gives around 35% performance boost and 25fps as lowest frame rate in late game benchmark, for 1080p resolution.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  4. geebo

geebo Prince

Wow, thanks for the insight! I'm am somewhat tech savvy but would of never knew all that to increase performance over 30% in the late game!

Did you take a big hit in graphic quality? I am hoping that I can produce fairly high graphic quality on terrain, leader screens not as important to me.

5. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

Its not really noticeable, as far as I see.

Also I haven't had any test with large water areas. Game benchmark does not have them, and I have yet to get to the point of game where I can test this.