Perhaps a small crowd-funding exercise?

TPangolin

Just the worst person
This may be unorthodox, but this forum hasn't seen much activity in a while. So here is a slight kick (and hopefully one in the right direction). I know that an extreme amount of people still secretly want to change this site after being initially repulsed but then grew affectionate towards it (like a half-blind heterochromatic dog with three legs).

Has anyone here thought about crowdfunding for a design competition by graphic designers?

Link to video.

You can get the entrants, and put them in a poll. And if that's not good enough - you can get your money back and try again with perhaps another website.

I'd gladly put $10 towards it. Would you? I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.

I don't know, isn't one of the things about CivFanatics the way that nothing costs anything? Or gives monetary payback? It's a nice enough idea, I guess, but considering that the files are out for free maybe a better idea would be to add the option to do personal ones, visible only to you, that you make? That way nobody but you has to approve or use or see it.

Speaking of which, what is the status of the Community Art Project? Are there any plans to update the default theme? I vaguely recall also thinking the default theme (Modern CFC) was rather ugly and outdated, and that was in 2007. Nowadays I tend to forget about it since I usually have Black CFC, Christmas, or Mac OS X as the theme, but I do think CFC could attract more people if the first impression of the forums were a bit more up-to-date. Don't get me wrong, I like the Civ3 swordsman. But the default theme looks very 1998, and we have several that look at least a decade more recent. Civ V Revised is probably the one I'd go with, but most of the current themes are, IMO, better than the default (which I'd keep as an option, but not the default option).

I'm not sure that we need a whole new design (although feel free to prove me wrong), but I'd definitely like to have a serious discussion about using one of the new themes (or even one of the good non-default old ones) as the new go-to.

Side note, if I choose the Mac OS theme (not OS X, just OS), the forums don't seem to load.

The layout is fine. I'd like a few new color schemes to choose from, since I've been using Dark Blue for the past 9 years (tried the others, and didn't care for them). There are scads of nice skins on the support forum.

Top Bottom