1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Perhaps my best Spain start and an actually useful Krakatoa!?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Juanholio, Jan 14, 2014.

1. ravenmagus

ravenmagus Warlord

And the end result.

Spoiler :
    Turn 326 Science victory. Would have easily been 15-20 turns or so quicker if Suleiman hadn't DoW'd a while back at a really inconvenient time and killed off a GS... and then I ended up having to finish Rationalism and take a tech I had only 1 turn left on. Blurgh.

After his initial attack France was a virtual nonentity and I pretty much ignored him for the entire game. Suleiman was a constant nuisance; I paid him to go attack Maria a few times, and once he captured a city state and got the world to hate him - but the world didn't really care to do anything about it. Eventually I ended up fighting him; he had a decent army - including that annoying cavalry that got my GS killed - but he had a rough time attacking into my machine guns. While I didn't actually care much about his placement of Konya, he decided he wanted to get into a GG territory war. So I ate up most of Konya's tiles, though it was late enough I didn't care anymore.

He DoW'd again right at the end. He's doing a lot of damage to Barcelona with artillery, but I doubt he can break through the XCOM line to actually capture the city. Not that it matters, as it's too late to stop me from winning.

The true threat ended up being Alexander. He was keeping a surprisingly tight grip on the city-states, while the rest of the world acted as usual towards them (that is, no one cared to do anything at all about it - France liberated the CS from the Ottomans, and then lost the alliance immediately to Greece). My spies kept busy couping city states left and right, and I managed to keep him just a couple votes shy of the amount he needed for World Leader.

Spoiler :

2. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

Interesting start, good science and food but you're not going to see much production until you can chop and mine the jungle on those hills. But yes the problem is as people have mentioned is that Science doesn't really give any free benefits until you research Civil Service and later Chemistry and Fertilizer... and you can't really benefit that much from early science until your production is higher, example you can quickly research Mathematics for Hanging Gardens but if your production is real low you might be beaten to this wonder anyway, and the slow production costs you the turns that the boost to science gave you..

With 2 hostile neighbours this would be my strat.
    1) Explore as much as possible to discover Barringer Crater first to get your 500 gold.
    2) Focus on growth immediately to get to Population 2 and buy your first settler using gold from Krakatoa; settle the Barringer Crater.
    3) Either buy another settler immediately and settle on a luxury for happiness or buy a worker and archers. Keep scouting to find new Natural Wonders so you can get your happiness boost.
    4) Get an early granary built in the Capital (this should be your first build order after you get Pottery). Once you get to a population of 3 start working Krakatoa (Your other 2 population should be working the wheat and banana so the granary is yielding 4 food - not bad at all).
    5) For your new cities, build an archer in each town first before any buildings...
    6)Once your capital is growing and the science starts rolling in, build/acquire workers and more archers.
    7) Focus science towards Construction and Bronze Working (forget National College for now - more science aint gonna help you if you get a double DoW with no army). Get each city to priority build archers then upgrade to comp bowmen and build spearmen then swordsmen if you can get iron.
    7)Try and build a watermill once you get the wheel for extra production

8) Take Tradition so you can quickly get faster border expansion (this will get you production tiles faster), free Monuments, extra happiness from capital (to help you're new cities) and especially oligarchy for defence).

9) It should be fairly easy to get a Pantheon as you have a religious city state nearby so you should be able to get an 8 faith head start. But I wouldn't bother building more than a shrine in your capital until you're absolutely sure that your position is secure.

If you can get a Pantheon and desire a religion obviously take 'One with Nature'. But if you already feel threatened by your neighbours it would be wiser to take take 'Sun God' to help grow your capital. Alternatively 'God of Craftsmen' is a valid choice as it will help your production along so you can more quickly get a strong army out before you get DoWed. Don't underestimate this Pantheon, most people think its weak but if you can get it early it will really help you get through your build queue faster (it's like having Republic). Often when you get a badly timed DoW you just needed a few more turns to get extra archers out and this Pantheon will often give you those turns back, especially as you settled your capital a few turns late...

3. ravenmagus

ravenmagus Warlord

Sun God was really tempting but I took OWN in my game - too hard to pass that up as Spain especially when you might get TWO Natural Wonders. (Actually, there's a third too - Grand Mesa is nearby, but you'll have to kill the Ottomans to get it.)

Even with an ASAP shrine and the faith CS nearby I ended up getting fifth pantheon (and something like second or third religion). The religious folks were mostly on the other continent - neither of my neighbors ended up with a religion (Ottomans were building Hagia Sophia but missed it by a few turns). Could have been an interesting game for Pilgrimage, perhaps ... though the AI likes grabbing it.

I used the Krakatoa gold for a worker to get working on that jungle ASAP. I used Barringer Crater gold for a settler. Two settlers might be okay but it's going to take forever to get the lux improved in the capital.

4. Redaxe

Redaxe Emperor

Yeah buying 2 settlers off the bat to found 3 cities is risky. If you get into unhappiness you're then stuck in a real mess.
    But you can always keep the gold until you're ready for a 3rd city and then buy a settler.
    It does save you from a stagnant population growth while you build a settler or otherwise it can be better to purchase a worker do you can start working on the jungle.
    But if you aren't planning on putting a 3rd city down quickly the worker probably makes more sense.