1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

Perhaps She Was Right...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Goonie, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

2. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

Mmmmh. So Quebecers don't like Jews apparently...

3. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

Is this for real? I didn't even know so many Canadians identified as racist. This is shocking. More than half? I better stay the Hell outta Quebec!:eek:

4. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

TBH I believe it is more a poll trick than a true fact.

5. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

Has to be, I find this incredibly hard to believe.

6. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

After extrapulating the numbers of jews and blacks in major and minor league hocky teams I have come to the infailable conclusion that Canada is racist and the frenchies more so.

j/k

7. TheBladeRoden

TheBladeRoden Deity

8. Mulholland

Mulholland Happy New Year!!!!

Remember that according to Parizeau the 1995 reerendum was lost by "money and the ethnic vote."

9. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

Good ole Jacques, the Jaguar driving, Oxford educated saviour of French culture. :)

10. De Lorimier

De Lorimier North American Scum

There’s racism everywhere and the results don’t surprize me a bit. Those of you who know me know that I’m a tolerant person. I’m very inclusive and open-minded. I accept people from all walks of life and from all origins and beliefs. Even after all of this, I still think that Asians drive like sh*t. I don’t hate Asians. Like the saying goes, I have many Asian friends. Does believing in that stereotype still that make me a racist? Yes, yes it does. I am then part of the 43% who admit to being mildly racist.

And if this explanation doesn’t satisfy you, then I can at least give you the context of this poll and what has rapidly become a national debate these last few weeks and months in Québec. We’re currently dealing with what the media has wrongly dubbed as Accommodements raisonnables (Reasonable arrangements). Historically reasonable arrangements are exactly that (wheel chair ramps for employees, parking spaces for the handicaps, ect.). The media has been using this term lately when covering stories in wich people from religious minorities received special treatment.

Québec is a very secular society. After being hidden and kept in mediocrity by the Church (amongst other things) for two hundred years, the Quiet Revolution of the sixties brought a backlash against religious institutions and religion in general. Slowly but steadily we got rid of confessional schools and built a secular education system. Gone were the teaching priests. There’s no prayers in school anymore. There’s no religious symbols like the old crucifix above doors in classrooms no more. Religion courses, wich were almost only about Christianity are becoming real religion classes about the whole world’s views on faith. Not everyone was for this, but the majority and common sense prevailed and a return to the dark days of the overwhelming presence of religion in our public lifes is no more.

In the last few years, but mostly in the last few weeks and months, there were more incidents about religion in the public sphere wich the media, has I said, incorrectly coined Accommodements raisonnables (Reasonable arrangements). There was this story about a YMCA forsting their window because middle-aged women doing yoga classes are too scantily clad for their Hasidic neighbors. Soon after that, a father was expelled from prenatal courses because his presence made some Muslims women uncomfortable. Another one was expelled from his son's swimming lessons exam because Muslim women wanted to use the other end of the pool. There's always the question of prayers rooms in schools and workplaces. The Kirpan in school story was also very publicized.

There's a lot more example, but you get the general idea. This society that rejected religion (or the the overwhelming presence of it in the public realm) is now more than ever confronted with peculiar situations causing culture clash and disagreement. Of course it's not only about religion, but that's really my take on this. I think we're more facing an issue of tolerance than racism per say. In a way this debate and poll are good things. A healthy debate between the different communities is one of the major factor of growth, development and evolution of our society. Sorry if I jumped to my guns guys, but sometimes I act like the main, if not only, representative of french-speaking Québécois in these threads and I feel like I have to make a case for "my side". I know it's kind of knee-jerk thing to do, but Goonie made me do it. ;)

11. De Lorimier

Jan Wong didn't just called Québécois racists. She proclaimed that this racist society was responsible for school shootings by a canadian citizens without what she considers a Québécois background in the persons of Valeri Fabrikant (born in the USSR), Kimveer Gill (Indo-Canadian) and Marc Lépine (who's father was Algerian). She's still a c*nt for saying that, no matter what this poll says.

12. Goonie

Goonie Lonely End of the Rink

Sorry for making you do it De Lorimer, but I did really enjoy that post.

Did she say Quebec society was directly responsible or was indirectly responsible for the shootings by leaving people of non Qubecois backgrounds on the fringe of society? I really cannot remember. I do however feel as though the amount of unflattering things she is called in Quebec is slightly over the top. A **** is not a word thrown around lightly in english.

13. pboily

pboily fingerlickinmathematickin

Another way to see it is that Quebecois are the only ones honest enough to admit it...

14. De Lorimier

Here's the pat of her article that made me cringed the most:
    She's clearly out of bounds. Once-cosmopolitain city? Let's ask wiki:
    Racial purity talks not frowned uopn in Québec? What kind of crap is that? Is there nazis rallies I'm not aware of in Hochelaga-Maisonneuve? She's clearly out of touch with a city she once called her home.

It's funny that on the same day that Jan Wong published her Québec-bashing article in the Globe and Mail, another person took the time to talk about Québec in the same pages. Astonaut Marc Garneau who just before tried to get elected to the House of Commons and lost in a comically fashion after putting his foot in his mouth on numerous occasions had this to say about the same awful society depicted by Ms.Wong:
    I think this applies very well to a certain columnist now based in T.O.

15. Old Spice

Old Spice King

Shes a racist plain and simple and she is hiding it by accusing others of it.

16. CenturionV

CenturionV Warrior Forever

Man I don't understand why we have racism, its soooooo stupid we men are brothers, we should love and enjoy each other in brotherhood, and not worry about the color of each others skin.......just as long as were all the same religion!

:p ;)

I think we should just cut off quebecs oil and grain and canadian benefits and let them have there own stinking country like they want.....

The UN can feed them..... :lol:

17. Yom

Yom Re-ese Mekwanint

Great, and I have plans to go to Montreal for Spring Break.

18. De Lorimier

Come and you'll be welcome with arms open wide Yom. :)
    Tourist money is never frowned upon in this city. :D

19. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Quebec is a nation now? :shake: Give an inch, and they'll take a mile*

Spoiler :
    cleverly used imperial, so the metric-using french can't crack the code :thumbsup:

Entirely kidding!

20. Taliesin

Taliesin Puttin' on the Ritz

Cool, we'll have to have a meetup if you have time. PM me, Raisin Bran, or De Lorimier (I hope they don't mind me volunteering them) closer to the date, so we can plan something.