Perhaps She Was Right...

Another way to see it is that Quebecois are the only ones honest enough to admit it...

Why is it that you come up with the best answers in every threads?

And dont tell me its because you live in Ottawa.

Im not Racist.
Ill quote Yvon Deschamps ''C'est pas ta race que j'hais ... C'est toi!''

Translation : ''Its not your race that I dont like ... Its YOU!''

If anyone is interested, the whole poll is now published here.
If you scroll down to the religion-oriented questions, you can see my theory kinda being proven right. Special religious arrangemments is more the problem than race. I have a feeling that the RoC media didn't do a lot of follow-ups to the whole Québécois are racist stories they seemed to enjoy so much. :p The point of view of the ethnic minorities is was also polled to very interesting results. A majority of them (74%) are actually against special treatment based on race and religion while 46% of them think Québécois are too tolerant when it comes to special arrangemments.

Léger Marketing also published a similar poll for Canada made for Sun Media with not so different results. Here.

Okay, why are people having panic attacks here??

More than half of Quebeqois "admit to being racist to some degree". Most of them specified "mildly racist". So where's the problem???

If the United States had only forty murders a year, YES, that would mean the United States has a problem. But it would be an insignificant one.

Quit worrying about it.

Translation: I say Canada's racism problem isn't big enough to worry about. There are radical women's activists out there who say "one rape is too many". Every time there's a plane crash or a terrorist attack, it makes the front page.

The problem is our own perceptions blowing problems out of proportion. We're a world of six and a half billion people; rapes, plane crashes, murders, terrorist attacks, and racism are going to happen now and again, even in the most peaceful and tolerant nations on the entire planet. People in this thread are getting sucked into the "black and white" dealie. The real truth is: shades of gray.

This is all aside from the fact that humans seem to be self-abusive and feel guilty when faced with poll questions such as this. Humans seem to have a limitless capacity for self-abuse.

Typical media bullcrap.

And no, I don't mean the english media. This one isn't their fault - it's the fault of the disgusting media machine (otherwise called Québecor) this side of the language divide. They need scandals to sell, and when they can't find one, they make one up and then convince the population to be scandalized over it (the so-called Acoomodement Raisonable debacle, among other things).

As for the poll itself, the litigious question asked :

"Personally, do you consider yourself :

-Strongly racist (Fortement Raciste) (1%)
-Mildly racist (Moyennement Raciste) (15%)
-Weakly Racist (Faiblement Raciste) (43%)
-Not Racist at all (Pas du tout raciste) (39%)

Now, consider this (definition of racism will be that most often understood by Québecer, to correctly reflect the situation). Consider everything you've done, say, this past year. Can you honestly say for absolutely certain that you've never had any thought that might involve assuming something about someone just because of their race? Making a sweeping statement about all of a particular race? (and so forth)?

Can you say you won't have any during the next year?

If you can't say "yes" to both questions, then what business have you answering "Not Racist at all" to the poll question?

But saying "16% of Québecers admit to being racist!" wouldn't have sold Québecor's litter-worthy newspaper, so they just lumped the 43% who might have a vaguely racist thought once in a blue moon in the statistics to have something to grab attention with.

(Yes, I hate the Journal de Montréal.)

And "accomodement raisonables" is the media bringing to a boil a handful of very isolated incidents that are unavoidable when different ethnic and cultural groups live in the same area, and blowing them out of proportion in terms of scale (and often in terms of importance as well). But continuous news networks have to have *something* to talk about on slow news days, so...

Top Bottom