Pericles has a wrong helmet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fanatical

Chieftain
I really anticipated to see the greek civilization in Civ vi and I expected them to appear in the end before launch with some exciting and fun to use abilities like Norway's but they came earlier.Anyway not that it matters what I believe but I would like to express my thoughts about some aesthetic things that really bother me.

Leader
Pericles' helmet is not correctly depicted,It appears like a copy of the corinthian helmet from the marble bust and not like a 'real' corinthian helmet.The eyes don't quite look that they have openings,there's also no opening for the nose and mouth.Corinthian helmets had some openings in there,in the bust of Pericles a thin line can be seen because the sculpter couldn't create a separate helmet and put it on Pericles' head he sculptured the helmet on the marble.The helmet clearly looks like it's a decoration,Pericles would have worn a real simple without decorations corinthian helmet with proper opening for the eyes,nose and mouth,they got it right in civ 4 I don't understand why it's wrong now??Also there is some golden lion paw on it's forehead?? and weird looking parallelogram shapes under the eyes.Depicting him during his prime with brown shorter beard and a simple proper looking corinthian helmet and a muscular bronze cuirass would have been much better....

UU
Now about the unique unit:Hoplites have some nice historically accurate bonus but the helmet looks very similar to civ 5 from the front and it's just like the helmet from the 300 movie.I expected that since pericles would have been the leader this time,they would add proper close faced corinthian helmets for both him and the hoplites but it didn't happen:sad:.Hoplites are also depicted with capes and they seem too much 300 in general in my opinion.2 shield symbols are also ugly;there is an 'emo' horse and a snake that doesn't look like a snake(the scorpion,vase and lamda symbol are ok).Ancient Greek vases have many nice depictions of horse heads and the medusa/gorgon head would have been a great artistic choice for the hoplite.

Anyway this civ that I so much anticipated left me a bittersweet taste...Gameplay wise they seem ok but so simple abilities...and on top of that they gave not so good looking helms.I really hope that if the team has enough time and money most of all they can fix some of those issues like how they did with Theodore's swelling:lol:.

It just ruins the game when they do things like this. Can't they see balance and game play means nothing if they use the wrong features on a leader?

Yes, Pericles is portrayed completely the wrong way. I preferred Civ IV's portrayal of him. He looks in Civ VI like a weird old man who has a beard from the 16th century, not the ancient Greek times in which Pericles was portrayed with a much shorter beard. He doesn't look like a general in-game either, so much as a wizened old librarian.

Eh. They used a different age depiction from Civ IV for Victoria as well. I think it's fine to depict them a little differently. I just wish they had left off the helmet for his "elder statesman" appearance.

It just ruins the game when they do things like this. Can't they see balance and game play means nothing if they use the wrong features on a leader?

And i dont like the tree on the background too, that just ruin Greece UB:mad:

The leaders are stylized if you havent noticed. Who is to say that he didn't have a helmet like this one year - nobody knows. Do you wear the same clothes every day all your life?

Wait til you find out Pericles is 70 years old in 4000 BC and 70s year old in 2050 AD. :band:

Spoiler alert: He buys the helmet in the middle ages.

Yes, helmet is one thing; the other thing is his bare armpits. Old poor guy needs to shave at this age :lol: But no, it's not worth a new thread, though.

Wait til you find out Pericles is 70 years old in 4000 BC and 70s year old in 2050 AD. :band:

Spoiler alert: He buys the helmet in the middle ages.

The best thing about it is that he never gets old – just as his helmet and the rest of his armour :lol:

Looks cool though.

Yep, generally, he looks very good.

He looks a lot cooler than Friderick or Philip. Those guys need a lot of tweaks, incuding those werid animations.

The leaders are stylized if you havent noticed. Who is to say that he didn't have a helmet like this one year - nobody knows. Do you wear the same clothes every day all your life?

I like how stylized the other leaders are but the problem is Pericles is depicted having a helmet on his head when he was young and elected as a general by the athenians.Moreover it's nice to depict people from the past as they are depicted in sculptures,paintings..etc but the real problem here is that the helmet is more like a stylized renaissance version of the corinthian helmet and not similar to how a corinthian helmet looks like on ancient vases ,sculptures...To me it seems that they created the helmet based on how it looks in the marble bust without taking in account how it was in real life and the sculptor's limitations in realism.I also doubt that Pericles changed helmets like ties:lol:.

Thanks for revealing this miscarriage of historical accuracy, the game needs to be boycotted world wide and the developers put put on trial at the Hague.
Either that, or I'm pulling your leg.

I find it amusing that people on this forum as a whole seem to forgive Pericles his appearance (despite not looking like the Pericles of history very much at all) *while* whining about Barbarossa's ahistorical armor (and nothing else about his appearance, just his armor type).

I find it amusing that people on this forum as a whole seem to forgive Pericles his appearance (despite not looking like the Pericles of history very much at all) *while* whining about Barbarossa's ahistorical armor (and nothing else about his appearance, just his armor type).

Can you prove its the same persons ?

Friderick has many flaws, but that has been pointed in other threads. So it is not only about his armour. It is about his general appearance.

He lacks normal animations - in his case they look very werid in the video. Does he try to dance or what? Apart from this, his helmet, his beard, his armour needs to be improved. He should have a very long beard.

I think that Friderick is actually the worst looking leader in the game at this moment.

Leader
Pericles' helmet is not correctly depicted,It appears like a copy of the corinthian helmet from the marble bust and not like a 'real' corinthian helmet.The eyes don't quite look that they have openings,there's also no opening for the nose and mouth.Corinthian helmets had some openings in there,...

I think the helm is just a decoration for a politician. Pericles looks like as if he no longer should go into battle:spear:

Speaking for myself, I think liberties with such ancient characters' physical appearances is more forgiveable than clear anachronisms - we simply don't have an accurate representation of what they looked like. But we do know what Corinthian helmets looked like, and we do know that 12th century European armour was mail, not plate. You can compare Barbarossa's armour to putting Napoleon in doublet and hose, and you can ridicule Pericles' hat and Montezuma's feathers as inaccuracies. But who's to say how long either Frederick's or Pericles' beards were?

Of course people can complain about whatever they like, but for me, the cartooniness of the artstyle for the leaders forgives a multitude of physical exaggerations (look at Pedro). I just think it's a shame they didn't capture the historical outfits better, but it's hardly a major flaw in the game.

On the point of the helmet itself, it kind of reminds me of this Italian helmet, designed to be worn on top of the head, but clearly inspired by the Corinthian helmets they'd seen atop the soldiers in Greek art:-

Spoiler :

Friderick has many flaws, but that has been pointed in other threads. So it is not only about his armour. It is about his general appearance.

He lacks normal animations - in his case they look very werid in the video. Does he try to dance or what? Apart from this, his helmet, his beard, his armour needs to be improved. He should have a very long beard. I posted a photo in the other thread.

I think that Friderick is actually the worst looking leader in the game at this moment.

I think there are many leaders in the game that look far worse and have far worse animations--Pedro II looks nothing like he did in real life and instead looks like an Aardman animation character; Tomyris and Hardrada have weirdly jerky animations, Gandhi looks like Gollum, etc. At least Barbarossa looks (in his face) like certain paintings of him, and the long beard of Barbarossa you speak of shows up in few works portraying Barbarossa in his older days, and certainly his beard is at least full enough to lend credence to the idea that people gave him a nickname based on his beard.

Pericles in my opinion is one of the most ahistorical portrayals in the game along with Pedro. He may lack the jerky animations of Tomyris, but he's definitely weird and completely ahistorical. Not only is the helmet not a fit (let alone practical), he looks like a weak old crazy doomsayer or cranky librarian with a Zeus beard (or a comic portrayal of Archimedes) instead of the real Pericles, a more majestic and healthy (and youthful) looking general with a less unruly beard and a more practical and realistic helmet.

Also, no, many people literally *just* took issue with Barbarossa's armor. See the Facebook discussions of the Barbarossa first look videos for one, and these forums for another. You are the first person to criticize his facial appearance that I have seen.

Both Barbarossa and Perciles designs are the worst for me. Pericles should be younger, and the helmet looks awkward, I would expect it to slide and cover his face when he moves :p

Barbarossa just needs some cloth over his armor, like in next picture. I wouldn't mind if they will make him less fat and had more beard, but the cloth will do, he's so bland now with that armor

By far the worst leader to me is Gandhi. He looks like the offspring of a troll doll and ET with serious birth defects. :sad: No other leader in the game comes close to how unsettling Gandhi's appearance is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom