Permanent Alliance at Start?

yatusk

Chieftain
Is it possible to set up a Permanent Alliance at the start of a Custom game? I'd like to have a teammate....must be some way to do it (maybe even a really simple way that I'm missing)

Yes, it is pretty easy (and could be easily overlooked):

In the game options screen where you choose your leader from the drop down, along with difficulty/etc., there's a box before the leader, and if you set an AI to 1 as yours is defaulted to, they will be your teammate.

-m.

When you set up a "Custom Game" you'll see numbers next to the player name (on the AIs it'll be "default" and yours will be your profile name). If numbers for two or more players are the same, they will act as a team.

I haven't done it myself, so I don't know if it works just the same as a Permanent Alliance, as in sharing of beakers/techs and that sort of thing, but they'll be your friend for the game.

Yes, they share beakers, tech and los with you. However, they also are considered as being one of your cities for the purpose of building wonders. And you don't appear to gain the bonus from wonders they build, so you'll find yourself fighting to start a wonder before they do. They also share building of space parts, which is very frustrating if you have a city producing 100 shields a turn, and they start building a part in a city producing 5 shields a turn.

For the most part though, it's nice having an ally with you. Any time they have a lux/resource that you don't have, they'll immediately pop up a trade window and offer it to you for free. You should probably do the same to them, give them any of your spare resources, to make them stronger.

wait a sec... in my experience they do share the effect of wonders... I'm quite sure that they do! According to the civilopedia you are effectively one empire, I just wish they would share resources as well (not having to trade them).

I was basing them not sharing the effects upon having to have them trade me hit singles/movies, etc. I figured that if everyone in the alliance shared wonder bonuses, they wouldn't have to trade me the hit singles from the wonder. What about things like Stonehenge? Does everyone in the alliance get an Obelisk in every town?

You wont get the cultural commodities like hit singles if they build rock and roll, but they'll give you a free one. However if they build stone henge or eiffel tower or three gorges dam you will benefit. I'm pretty sure you benefit from most world wonders. And you don't share national wonders with them so you can build all your own.

I find that if your teammate is AI, then they'll be pretty slow about starting wonders. If you start building them the first turn they are available (including putting them your build queue but not actually starting production) you'll get virtually all of the wonders (unless an opponent builds them).

They also get holy cities sometimes when you're both researching a religious tech, but I haven't had too much trouble with it. I suspect, but haven't confirmed, that the city goes to whoever's research contribution actually pushes the tech over the top, so you might be able to time it.

The AI will be very nice to you in trade. If they put a settler somewhere you dont like or conquer a city you wanted to conquer you can ask them to give you a city, and they'll usually comply if they haven't owned it for very long yet. I even got the AI to give me a holy city once, when the city was just founded right before the religion was founded.

Top Bottom