1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

'Permanent' Golden Age in the second half of the game - possible solution

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by maxf, Sep 13, 2020.

1. maxf

maxf Chieftain

I haven't installed the latest versions, so I don't know if anything has been done with permanent Golden Ages in the late game. Here the simple script to make growth of difference between steps from one Golden Age to another in arithmetic progression:
    Code:
    function GoldenAgeStarted (iPlayer, bStart, iTurns)
        if bStart ~= true then return end
        local pPlayer = Players[iPlayer]
        local t = pPlayer:GetNumGoldenAges()
        local d = ((8*t+1)^0.5 - 1) / 2
        if (d - math.floor(d)) == 0 then                      -- in case of GA isn't caused by building or etc.
            pPlayer:ChangeNumGoldenAges(d)
        end
    end
    GameEvents.PlayerGoldenAge.Add(GoldenAgeStarted)

I set GOLDEN_AGE_EACH_GA_ADDITIONAL_HAPPINESS and GOLDEN_AGE_BASE_THRESHOLD_HAPPINESS to 1000 both, so I have thresolds sequence of 1000, 3000, 6000, 10000 etc. And I gave +5 GA point per turn to the Palace to compensate too high first thresold.
    I think this should helps to solve the problem, but not sure if completely - so many GA points come in the late game.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  2. Zanteogo

Zanteogo King

Not sure how old your version is, but it's near impossible to have permanent golden ages now. Used to be possible over a year ago.

The points required to trigger it gets quite high after your first few.

3. Melchizedek

Melchizedek Prince

If you make it too hard to get GA close together, you seriously devalue several UAs and religious beliefs. What happens to Mastery or Symbolism if they give small flat GA points and the thresholds are huge?

4. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

How old is the version you are playing?

The cost was increased substantially at some point. Currently a near permanent golden age is possible but it requires massive investments.

5. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

Um...I've had permanent Golden Ages for the last 4 or 5 games beginning shortly after turn 220. Current version. Not hard.

Dimmy, CrazyG and SuperNoobCamper like this.
  6. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Permanent GAs are definately possible but they usually happen later for me in the game then they used to. That said I haven't played a Tall Artistry game in a while, so it might be more doable there.

7. arthurF

arthurF Warlord

One way to make this not happen is to forgo artistry.

8. Gidoza

Gidoza Emperor

In my current game I do have Artistry, but in my previous game as Rome I most definitely did not have Artistry - I had Authority-Statescraft-Imperialism, and at about turn 220 the permanence started. I'll admit that having Chicken Pizza helps though.

Bromar1 likes this.
  9. Zanteogo

Zanteogo King

Fair enough, though I find unless to build your civ around golden ages it's near impossible. (though not impossible)

10. maxf

maxf Chieftain

Yep, my version is just about a year ago - 2019-10-08. I don't use newer because of using many additional civs and other modmods - not sure in compatibility. Also I made and make some corrections. In this version original thresolds is 400, 2400, 4400, 6400 etc. With such thresolds permanent GA after 3rd GA is very easy. Even without using Artists (or with single using).
    Can you say which thresolds in last version?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  11. arthurF

arthurF Warlord

Nerf chicken pizza

12. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Personally, I think golden ages on the current version are in a good place, so no need for change. It's possible to get regular golden ages, but I would not call perma-golden ages 'easy'. If that's your goal (or is synergizes well with your goal) then sure that's awesome. But that's not a balance issue IMO - it's just a strategy that makes good use of a particular mechanic.

I feel like we also need to recognize that people play on very different settings though, without even getting into things like playstyle and preferred civ. So it's probably normal for us to have somewhat different experiences.

13. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Why don't you back up your current MODS folder (or just the VP files), update to the newest version and if it breaks things for you revert back to your old VP?

You are missing a lot of great improvements, btw. I personally play with like 40 extra mods, but would happily give up on any of them for a VP update.

14. maxf

maxf Chieftain

OK, maybe I'll try. Btw could you archive and share your modpack on some file hosting? I would be very grateful

15. vyyt

vyyt Deity

Sorry! I saw your message only now. I don't play with modpack, just the regular mods. Or do you want my mods?