1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Persia in BNW

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Blitz Spearman, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Blitz Spearman

Blitz Spearman Warlord

Did Persia get nerfed? I never played as Persia in G&k, and thought about giving it a try now, but what I see in my games is that Golden Ages are not that much of a big deal any more, with less gold-producing tiles to get the gold bonus, so Persia seems to have taken a big hit in usefulness.

2. peddroelm

peddroelm King

Great artists (Golden age machines) have separate great person counter and separate faith counter .. Take a minute and reflect on what that means ... Darius is still a beast ...

3. Scott Jegg

Scott Jegg Warlord

That extra movement for units is still outstanding.

Rolling seige units into range AND being able to fire on the same turn is devastating.

4. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

Yeah, I love that. One time Ramesses had almost every ancient, medieval and renaissance wonder built in Thebes, including all the defensive ones, plus all defensive buildings and a respectable army and fleet in attendance. Thebes was hemmed in on all sides by an agonising combination of minor lakes and forest hills. It was accessible by sea, but only through a 1-tile icebound passage around a remote cape to the north, the central couple of tiles of which were ocean. I was ripping through him when my golden age ended, whereupon my entire land offensive crawled to a halt and was largely annihilated (the greatest defeat I have ever suffered in Civ 5 while attacking.)

Meanwhile, my magnificent fleet was caught by his own in the act of rounding the northern bottleneck and was half destroyed also. (He lacked ocean-going ships at the time or I'd really have been in the poo.)

The next fifty or so turns (on Marathon) were an agonising ordeal as the remnants of my army camped out on his perimeter while I whittled away his territory with citadels to get into a position to take him out when the next golden age rolled around. But when it came... it was glorious. His capital fell in four turns and I lost just two units.

5. Enrico Swagolo

Enrico Swagolo Deity

Darius is still one of the best, most fun leaders.

Satrap Court is good Granted it'd be better if it replaced Market instead of a Bank to make sliiiightly more sense and be better (it still wouldn't be anywhere near Bazaar tier), but it's okay. Immortals are still great, but they really lost out a lot since the senseless Pikeman-into-lancer change.

6. Rathelon

Rathelon Prince

It makes perfect sense. It's the whole anti-mounted line...spearmen - pikemen - lancer - anti-tank gun.

7. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

No, it really doesn't, because pikeman is not just "an anti-cavalry trooper" but a regular frontline melee unit by its role.

8. Rathelon

Rathelon Prince

Not really. It is in the class of anti-mounted, hence it's bonus versus mounted. You have classic infantry line of warrior - swordsman - longswordsman - etc. Then you have the anti-mounted line, and the ranged line (archers, etc.), and the siege line (catapults, et al.).

Of course, you could use pikemen as a front line troop, but that isn't what they're best at.

9. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Yeah, they are good against mounted, but that doesn't change the fact that they are, essentially, a very general melee troop and that's what many people use them as. You don't produce anti-tank guns or lancers to take cities with your siege units, but for pikemen, it's a whole different story.

10. andrew00100

andrew00100 Chieftain

It makes sense cos Lancer is pikemen put onto horses :king:

11. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Actually I think lances were something in between of a spear and a pike. A pike is too heavy to be used one-handed so I guess lances are a lot lighter.

12. Duponey

Duponey Chieftain

I have not played him since BNW but I can tell for sure, from my games -not so many but still some- that he remains one of the most dangerous opponent. Allying with the CS seems to be is first goal and it's working always fine for him.
    However I must admit I was a bit disappointed not to see him fight for their control as he should have and did in the previous version of the game.

13. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

"Spear" in french is "lance".

14. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

And... so?

15. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

Maybe English military strategists made a difference between a "lance" and a "spear", but in french you can barely tell apart...

16. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Yeah, but the same word in different languages can have different meanings. In English, lance refers exclusively to polearms used by the cavalry, while spear is a more general term.

17. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

It's that because Swordsmen are so terrible and longswordsmen come much later than pikemen for most tech paths.

English military strategist of that time spoke French because they were snobs and didn't want to talk in the language their common people spoke.

And just to be clear, lances are heavier than infantry spears, too heavy to be thrusted quickly, because the momentum of the horse did that for the rider. But in core design, they are basically the same thing. So exactly the opposite of what vaiko guessed.

18. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

Uh, I said they're heavier than spears all along, but lighter than pikes.

19. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

AFAIK:
    Pole arms:
    Lance - a very long pole arm designed to be used by charging cavalry (and to be discarded in melee).
    Pike - a very long pole arm designed to be used by infantry in a tight formation to protect against charging cavalry or infantry.
    Spear - a pole arm of varying length and weight used extensively before the invetion of pikes/lnaces. Could be thrown.
    Javelin - a throwing pole arm, usually shorter and lighter than spear.
    (Halberd) - similar to pike and spear but topped with additional blades (axes, spikes etc.)).

20. Quineloe

Quineloe Prince

indeed you did