Persian Immortals

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by JonAmikar, Jan 29, 2006.

1. JonAmikar

JonAmikar Chieftain

Has anyone pulled off a good rush/raid in early game with Immortals?

2. Drake007

Drake007 Warlord

ooohhh yeah ;). In an immortal/standard/pangea/epic game I've won with ease after conquering a neighbour and a half with immortals. They're so much more efficient than axemen or quechuas for an early rush, and they come long before praetorians. They're nice for barbarians after that since they're fast and can actually receive defensive bonuses. To top it off Cyrus has some nice early traits, so one could make a case that he's the best early rusher in the game.

3. Stalker0

Stalker0 Baller Magnus

Immotals are great for an attrition game. I've had games where I snuck in and cut off the person's iron/copper. Then I just left a bunch of immortals near their cities hanging in forests. I would snipe any archers that came out, kept their workers from working, and basically let them stagnate back into the dark ages.

4. thordk

thordk Prince

immortals are great for early rush. it's hard to conquer other civ's capitals with them due to this early high defensive bonus, but you're able to take out any archers in the field, raze some cities and pillage like a madman.

i tried a game with persia where i chopped some immortals and declared war on another neighbour every 10 turns. pillaging all of their improvements, stealing workers and razing their newly founded cities until i got catapults and took out their captials. worked out great, had some lack in research though and my reputation has been really bad ;) but what me worry, i'm a bully, gimme that techs or i crush your empire :D

5. TeraHammer

TeraHammer Prince

I prefer the war chariot for early rushing. Strenght 5 to all units (counter to axeman!) is to me more valuable than strenght 6 against archers.

6. Gyspsysmoke

Gyspsysmoke Chieftain

Immortals are my favorite UU's, most likely because I have a much better grasp of early/middle game than the later game. I have been playing on Noble (I'm a n00b), but if I get horses early on the empires close to me will fall.

The Persian Horde is to be feared (Cyrus' expansive trait is sweet as well).

7. Grimz101

Grimz101 King

love war chariots they half the production of horse archers too! did a multiplayer and had a stack of 20 war chariots and totally owned them :)

8. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

The advantage of Immortals is they recieve defensive bonuses, one of the few fast units that do. So even defending on a hill, they've got 5 strength; 6 in forests and 7 in both. That and a 30% withdraw rate makes them excellent for harassment and pillaging, while the stronger (5 str 20% withdraw) war chariots are better for direct city assault.

9. chewbaccad

chewbaccad Chieftain

I always play on random, but I get an extra glimmer in my eye when I draw Cyrus. I love the Immortals.

10. gdgrimm

gdgrimm Prince

I've done a few culture wins with Cyrus that started with Immortals rush against one or two neighbors (in one game, it was the English and then Genghis). Then I'd turn their capitals into a targeted Legendary city.

11. JonAmikar

JonAmikar Chieftain

- Should I get out a worker before the first settler?
    - How many cities should I have when i rush?
    - Whats the optimal year to strike? Before Classical?

12. Archbob

Archbob Ancient CFC Guardian

The problem with immortal is they are usually only good on standard maps or smaller. Being a player who likes to play on Huge maps, the early rush isn't that great. If someone has an early access to iron and builds swordsman, the immortals aren't that great anymore.

Btw: You should always get a worker before your first settler.

13. chewbaccad

chewbaccad Chieftain

These are just my $.02, but

-usually. Working the tiles means you can do more with lower population, and roads really let those early 2MPers stretch their legs. I wouldn't build too many, because hopefully you'll be capturing a couple.

-I'd say 2-4, depending on your relative strength and proximity of your victim. It's better to take his cities than to have to build them yourself. Just try to strike before he gets his metal working in full swing (destroying any copper/iron mines should be a priority).

-ASAP!! Remember, Immortals fortify, so they can double as defensive units in a pinch. Just build a quick stack of 4 or 5 (they're dirt cheap) and wreak havoc!! You'll take a couple losses attacking well defended cities, but good early cities can pump out Immortals once every 2-3 turns.