Persistent Religious Units

fodazd

Chieftain
Hello.

I would like to make some pretty big changes to the way apostles work. Basically, I would like to give them unlimited spread charges, but reduce their spread strength. So instead of having 3 Charges with 200 Strength, I would give them unlimited charges for 10 Strength (or something in that range).

I did not find out how I would make Apostles have unlimited charges, but I suppose I could just give them 100.000 Charges or something for practically the same effect. Also, how do I adjust the Apostle Spread Strength? I should probably also adjust their Spread Strength with game speed I think, since they no longer run out of charges and their effectiveness therefore depends on the number of turns they get to use their ability. Also, I would have to modify their promotions to reflect the fact that spread charges for apostles are no longer relevant.

How would you go about making these changes?

I have decided that I should make all religious units persistent instead of just apostles. Missionaries and Apostles have a base strength of 10 for their spread religion ability, and they have 1.000.000 Charges (which is infinity for all practical purposes). They also cost a little bit more than before. Inquisitors also have 1.000.000 Charges, but they only reduce other religions by 15% instead of by 100% each turn. Apostle Promotions that don't make any sense in this new system because they give additional charges have been removed. Also, Barbarian conversion was deleted because you could do it an unlimited number of times here, which is too strong. Apostles reduce other religions by 3% in their base form and by 15% with the promotion that used to delete all other religions in the city.

Here is what I have so far:

Code:
UPDATE Units SET SpreadCharges='1000000', Cost = '100' WHERE UnitType='UNIT_MISSIONARY';
UPDATE Units SET SpreadCharges='1000000', Cost = '250', ReligionEvictPercent='3' WHERE UnitType='UNIT_APOSTLE';
UPDATE Units SET SpreadCharges='1000000', COST = '100', ReligionEvictPercent='15' WHERE UnitType='UNIT_INQUISITOR';

UPDATE GlobalParameters SET Value='10' WHERE Name='RELIGION_SPREAD_STRENGTH_MULTIPLIER';

DELETE FROM UnitPromotions WHERE UnitPromotionType = 'PROMOTION_ORATOR';
DELETE FROM UnitPromotions WHERE UnitPromotionType = 'PROMOTION_PILGRIM';
DELETE FROM UnitPromotions WHERE UnitPromotionType = 'PROMOTION_HEATHEN_CONVERSION';

DELETE FROM UnitPromotionModifiers WHERE UnitPromotionType = 'PROMOTION_ORATOR';
DELETE FROM UnitPromotionModifiers WHERE UnitPromotionType = 'PROMOTION_PILGRIM';
DELETE FROM UnitPromotionModifiers WHERE UnitPromotionType = 'PROMOTION_HEATHEN_CONVERSION';

DELETE FROM Modifiers WHERE ModifierId = 'APOSTLE_EXTRA_SPREAD_CHARGES';
DELETE FROM Modifiers WHERE ModifierId = 'APOSTLE_NW_DEFERRED_CHARGES';
DELETE FROM Modifiers WHERE ModifierId = 'APOSTLE_BARBARIAN_CONVERSION';

DELETE FROM ModifierArguments WHERE ModifierId = 'APOSTLE_EXTRA_SPREAD_CHARGES';
DELETE FROM ModifierArguments WHERE ModifierId = 'APOSTLE_NW_DEFERRED_CHARGES';
DELETE FROM ModifierArguments WHERE ModifierId = 'APOSTLE_BARBARIAN_CONVERSION';

UPDATE ModifierArguments SET Value='12' WHERE ModifierId = 'APOSTLE_EVICT_ALL' AND Name = 'Amount';

Now, there are some issues that still need to be resolved:
-> The spread strength should scale with gamespeed.
-> Spain needs a different special ability for their inquisitors, since +1 Charge is no longer relevant. Maybe just +7 religious Strength?
-> Mosques also need a different ability. Maybe some passive religious pressure for the city? I have no idea how I would implement that.
-> In my first test of this mod, I was pretty happy with what I got so far, but it got tiresome after a while to tell the missionary to use spread religion every single turn... A custom command that basically does "Spread religion every turn until this city has your majority religion" or "Spread religion every turn until the entire city follows your religion" would be nice, but again: No idea how I should implement that.

Top Bottom