[LP] Persona Spotlight: Qin Shi Huang (Unifier)

I have to say, the more I look at the model, the more it begins to grow on me. It certainly looks better than it did during its first impression. :)

Looks like his jersey will be green-on-black. Even less to talk about here because we've already seen Qin's animations; only his costume is new and it's...fine. :p

Perhaps sharing historical anecdotes about the guy could stir up conversation? :p

I'll start.

Before Qin became Emperor of China and was just King Zheng, he escaped an assassin by running around a pillar.

Apparently, the assassin, while in the emperor's court room and subsequently away from the palace guards, had grabbed a dagger hidden inside a map and attempted to kill Qin, who dodged and subsequently ran. In order to get some distance, he ran around a pillar to get away from the assassin, who nonetheless was catching up on him. Seeing this, a royal physician chucks a medicinal bag at the assassin, stunning him long enough for Qin to draw his longsword and mortally wound the assassin.

I swear, I don't understand when people say history is boring... :p

Perhaps sharing historical anecdotes about the guy could stir up conversation? :p

I'll start.

Before Qin became Emperor of China and was just King Zheng, he escaped an assassin by running around a pillar.

Apparently, the assassin, while in the emperor's court room and subsequently away from the palace guards, had grabbed a dagger hidden inside a map and attempted to kill Qin, who dodged and subsequently ran. In order to get some distance, he ran around a pillar to get away from the assassin, who nonetheless was catching up on him. Seeing this, a royal physician chucks a medicinal bag at the assassin, stunning him long enough for Qin to draw his longsword and mortally wound the assassin.

I swear, I don't understand when people say history is boring... :p
There's also the time an assassin hired a very strong man to hurl a large metal cylinder at Qin's carriage. Fortunately, Qin traveled with two carriages, and the second, a decoy, was destroyed instead of the one he was riding in.

There's also the time an assassin hired a very strong man to hurl a large metal cylinder at Qin's carriage. Fortunately, Qin traveled with two carriages, and the second, a decoy, was destroyed instead of the one he was riding in.
...Seeing all these ridiculous assassination attempts against Qin Shi Huang makes me think that maybe he did have a point about ingesting mercury.

Either way, he wouldn't go out by an assassination. :p

do we think the squared spirals on his bracers(?) are supposed to be abstracted firaxis logos maybe? or just squared spirals, nothing more?
also he definitely looks less tiny-head-huge-body than the first preview image made him out to be. i like the modelling here

also he definitely looks less tiny-head-huge-body than the first preview image made him out to be. i like the modelling here
Bad marketing for the Leader Pass strikes again! :p

Jokes aside, I definitely agree. Instead of the head looking cropped on, the armor now looks bulky and strong, ready to resist any assassination attempt involving daggers or swords.

I think it looks great.

do we think the squared spirals on his bracers(?) are supposed to be abstracted firaxis logos maybe? or just squared spirals, nothing more?
I don't think those have anything to do with the Firaxis Logo.

Jokes aside, I definitely agree. Instead of the head looking cropped on, the armor now looks bulky and strong, ready to resist any assassination attempt involving daggers or swords.
That armor can handle anything other than Julius Caesar's fists.

I'm currently reading Ursula K. Le Guin's The Farthest Shore after finishing A Wizard of Earthsea and The Tombs of Atuan (I can't recommend them highly enough *points to new signature quote*), and Qin's sword is pretty much exactly how I've been picturing Prince Arren's sword.

Instead of the head looking cropped on, the armor now looks bulky and strong, ready to resist any assassination attempt involving daggers or swords.
Or large metal cilinders...

This historial about assassination attempts makes less strange too the preferency for wearing multiple suits of armor :)

Looks like his jersey will be green-on-black. Even less to talk about here because we've already seen Qin's animations; only his costume is new and it's...fine. :p
That would be the first time we've seen black as the background for a civ considering that's usually reserved for city-states if that's true.

Also is that the Great Wall in his background? I wonder if this persona would give the Great Wall a buff. I could see the Great Wall deal damage to barbarians/enemy units passing through, similar to how it already works in the Zombie mode, under this persona. Though it would have been better if it could do that for any leader, but I'll take what I can get.

That would be the first time we've seen black as the background for a civ considering that's usually reserved for city-states if that's true.
I think his outline will be black, with the "fill color" green.

I think his outline will be black, with the "fill color" green.
So the opposite? A black dragon with green around it? That's what I initially envisioned too.

So the opposite? A black dragon with green around it? That's what I initially envisioned too.
thats what im hoping for too but the flag in the video actually looks like a light green dragon on a black background, to me at least, but the lightings weird so maybe its still medium green. hopefully we'll still get black on green as another jersey option, but green on black isnt that bad either
edit: heres the first frame of the vid, for reference:
Spoiler green on black :
1673813519457.png

thats what im hoping for too but the flag in the video actually looks like a light green dragon on a black background, to me at least, but the lightings weird so maybe its still medium green. hopefully we'll still get black on green as another jersey option, but green on black isnt that bad either
edit: heres the first frame of the vid, for reference:
Spoiler green on black :
Either way I'm probably going to change around the colors to suit my tastes. Currently I have the base game "Jade green" color set as the primary color, and all I have to do now is change the second color (dragon icon) depending on the leader with the color matching their official one for their dynasty.
Qin: Black
Kublai: White
Wu: Yellow/Gold (Technically it was the color of the Tang, not her own Wu Zhou dynasty, but it works for me since I can't seem to find an official one for her)
Yongle: Red

...Seeing all these ridiculous assassination attempts against Qin Shi Huang makes me think that maybe he did have a point about ingesting mercury.

Either way, he wouldn't go out by an assassination. :p

Wonder what currently-in-the-game civ leader had the most assassination attempts on them. Well, maybe we should put in Fidel Castro, so we'd know for sure.

I also wonder what percentage of civ leaders WERE assassinated. We even got Julius Caesar and Abraham Lincoln at teh same time!

We even got Julius Caesar and Abraham Lincoln at teh same time!
Also, both Julius Caesar and Abraham Lincoln also got assassinated in theaters. Caesar was at the Theatre of Pompey. :mischief:

Top Bottom