1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Personal Civic Strategy Throughout the Eras

Discussion in 'RoM Strategy & Tips' started by os79, May 26, 2010.

1. os79

os79 Deity

I'm writing this post to give my personal civic strategies from the earliest days of mankind to early Industrial era (the latest I had been so far in the recent games).

Few settings I have that are relevant:
    • RoM 2.91, AND 1.73H
    • No Vassals, No City Revolts when Original Owner Conquer it Back, BarbarianCiv, TechDiff, Dynamic Names, Multiple Prod/Res, Usable Mts, Adv Diplo, Barbarian Generals, Assimilation, Ruthless AI, and Personalized Maps (Custom Game options)
    • No War Trading, no Military or worker unit trading, Flexible Difficulty maxed at Noble (for now), Depletion of Resources, No Pillage of Owned Improvements, Ranged Bombardment, all of the rest of RevDCM tab options off (BUG options relevant to this discussion)
    • Huge map with starting default civs of 11

I went toward...
    • Charity
    • Slavery
    • Prophets
    • Monarchy

Then when I got a religion..
    • Divine Cult

When I get Meditation tech...
    • Caste
    • Church

After I get Feudal tech...
    • Vassalage
    • Feudal
    • State Church

When I get Social Contract and few other relevant techs...
    • Federal
    • Bureaucracy
    • Free Market
    • Free Church

When I get Scientific Method tech...
    • Private

When I get Industrialism, I plan on getting...
    • Proleriat

Later I want to get Socialized for Welfare civic and one other Economy civic (forgot its name but is more powerful than Free market in my opinion).

Not sure about Future civics yet.

Any omments are welcome. Hopefully, I learn something new strategies, if there is to be useful ones for me.

2. Lord Brooks

Lord Brooks Big Noob

What do you mean Custom Game Options?

Personalised maps is where the computer names cities and landmarks if I remember correctly, but I don't understand what custom game options means?

Sorry to go off topic, but I've wondered about how personalized maps work?

3. os79

os79 Deity

#1 Custom Game=Opening up RoM game itself-->Single Player-->Custom Game :).

#2 Personalized Map discussion can be found in AND forum. It basically is where Afforess have landmark names for forests, mountain ranges, and bays with fresh names, simulating our tendency to name certain famed parts of Earth, Himalayas for example.

4. Nefelia

Nefelia Prince

Caste and Slavery? I always play with Revolutions mod...having those two active would likely sink my empire. Sometimes I go for Slavery, but I have yet to find Caste worthwhile. By the time I would consider Caste, I already have roads on my mines, giving me a +1:hammers: bonus on top of a possible +1:hammers: bonus from Slavery. Adding a third +1:hammers: on top of that no longer seems worth the drawbacks.

5. generalstaff

generalstaff Steadfast

At Eternity or Snail game speeds on PW2
    Some Relevant Options: Revolutions, Usable Mountains, Require Complete Kills, Advanced Start (Standard Points), IDW with Emergency Draft, Ranged Bombard, Terraforming/Reforestation

I have yet to try this with Ruthless AI on Prince (just to try out), I just need to finish up a few things, then I can have some fun.

Early On:
    -Monarchy (No need to explain)
    -Nobility (I play with the Nobles Module, otherwise I would go Patrician until Bureaucracy)
    -Bourgeois (Extra Commerce from Mines is nice, improves with Art Patronage later on)
    -Rush to Mercantile, later switching to Free Market
    -State Church until Free Church (I like the Building Bonus)
    -Charity until Private (Cheap and effective, especially with Civic Buildings)
    -Rush to Vassalage (I play with Military Civics)

Later On:
    -Fascist or Communist (Prod Bonus)
    -Bureaucracy (Prod Bonus)
    -Marxist (Combined with Regulated gives a Free Engineer in all cities, also the Health bonuses allow continued running of Private)
    -Regulated (Prod Bonus)
    -Free Church
    -Private
    -Volunteer Army

Looking at your strategy, os79, I think I might try Caste. I have been reluctant due some of the penalties. I still do not think I will try Slavery (yet, I might later on, but the Revolutions penalties with Caste seem pretty high) due to the Science penalty.