'Personhood' Ammendment in Mississippi

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Whiskey_Lord, Oct 26, 2011.

1. madviking

madviking north american scum

Wait, think of the economic destruction to such metropoli as Baton Rouge and New Orleans! :eek:

I need a new plan.

2. Warman17

Warman17 NES Grandpa

And soon miscarriage will be neglectful manslaughter!

3. amadeus

amadeus Gimme a C! A bouncy C!

Another decree from the nanny state mandating universal health coverage. :rolleyes:

4. mrt144

mrt144 Deity

Still not too late for you to go Galt.

5. amadeus

amadeus Gimme a C! A bouncy C!

The Objectivists are on their best days minarchists. No thanks!

6. 7ronin

7ronin 海軍少佐

If this passes and becomes law, will every miscarriage be investigated as a potential murder?

7. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Of course.

I wish it were possible to do that anyway. Pregnant women have NO excuse to expose their unborn children to such toxins.

8. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Only some of the cases are involuntary manslaughter. A terrific number are manslaughter. The same type of manslaughter I'd suffer if I tossed my baby into a desert. Knowingly placing a live embryo into a menstrual pad is as deadly to it as exposing a baby on a mountainside.

No problem, I think lots of people missed it because it was at the bottom of a page in a fast-moving thread.

The point was that we cannot think of an embryo as a person, because we don't always treat its fruit as a person. My objection is that people insist that it's a person, the moral equivalent of an independent baby. But they're not, biologically and logically. As a result, this means its moral status is not the same either, and therefore it's okay to determine its moral status independently from that given to a baby.

As a question to the legal-minded, how does proxy voting work in these states? If I'm the guardian of severely mentally disabled adult, is there a way to be allowed to vote for them?

9. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

Welcome to another abortion thread, and boy do we have a night for you. Back from their successful tour we give you, the Theocrat Triplets.

Shoving nonsensical definitions down your screen like it's no one's business. Give 'em a round of applause! Take it away fellers
    :clap:

Aren't they great? And don't you worry, they're here ... always! For your entertainment, they'll don the dunce hat and do so with pride!

See you all next abortion thread! I'm your host Ziggy Stardust wishing you all a splendid evening.

:hatsoff:

10. NovaKart

NovaKart شێری گەورە

A lot of doctors now say it's OK for a pregnant woman to drink in moderation. Of course smoking is bad.

I get frustrated with both sides of the abortion argument. I don't think it's just an attempt to control women's bodies, there are some very difficult questions about what constitutes a human life. On the other hand I think it's ridiculous to consider a fertilized egg a human life and can't understand at all why people would object to the morning after pill for example. A lot of people also have this idea that a woman should just "suffer" for the mistake of having unprotected sex. People on both sides should really try to be more reasonable.

11. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Super Moderator

Given that this is religiously-motivated, it would seem to be a violation of the First Amendment. Maybe those in favour should come and live in a country which actually has a state religion, rather than one prohibited from having one.

12. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust New Englander

This actually goes beyond that.

13. aelf

aelf Ashen One

14. mangxema

mangxema I

I don't think so. My brother is disabled and of voting age and if there was a way to have him vote, I have a feeling that my mom would know about it.

15. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

I completely agree with this and I am definitely no christian. Once you have unique DNA you exist.

16. bhsup

bhsup Deity

I don't know why I have to keep explaining that abortion isn't a religious argument, but whatever. Go ahead and keep painting my abortion argument as some religious zealotry if that is the only way you you can go.

Also, my post is rather odd taken out of context of what I was replying to...you know, the whole "Yay more reasons to laugh at rednecks and hicks" thing.

17. aelf

aelf Ashen One

18. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

Fair enough, objection noted. But then I am a bit confused regarding your terminology. How can an embryo be 'innocent'? Innocence is certainly associated with thinking organisms (either in terms of naivety or in 'not-guilty' terms). A baby may be innocent, an accused can be innocent. They're different themes of the same word, but they're related.

But can a rock be innocent? Can a fungus? Can a sperm? Can a baby chick be innocent, and what does that mean about a fertilized chicken egg?

19. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Innocent as in it hasn't been convicted of a crime worthy of the death penalty.

20. aelf

aelf Ashen One

I don't understand this interest in removing the religious dimension from the question of whether abortion should be allowed or not anyway. Of course, you don't necessarily have to be religious or Christian to think that abortion is murder, but it seems to me that Christians would think so because of their religious beliefs. For Christians to say otherwise would be an uncharacteristic denial of the centrality of their religious beliefs in their world view and would strike me as disingenuous. How do you abstract your beliefs from something that is so crucial to their formation?

I mean, if they were to offer a secular argument for disallowing abortions, I might be willing to buy the notion. But what is that argument?