1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Perverse mechanic: I can work an iron mine, but can't build iron units

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Way_Traveler, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Thanny, you don't need to work a resource to get its benefits.

Edit: Okay, gang, here's the scoop.

Did a Worldbuilder Test: I gave myself Iron Working and Sailing, created a Lake, then hemmed an Iron in with Mountains. City A was on the opposite coast (capital). I founded City B on the Iron, and receive its benefits automatically. However, if I found City B outside the mountains and put the Iron in the fat cross, then Mine and Road the Iron, the benefits are not felt. I checked the Trade Blocs to see if it was a bug, but it was a different trade bloc entirely.

Conclusion: If a resource is "hemmed" in by Mountains and/or Coast, to receive its benefits, one must settle atop the resource.

2. Thanny

Thanny Warlord

No, all of those were with a fort, not a mine. The one screenshot with a mine showed he wasn't working it.

3. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

That does not and never will matter.

4. Heathen_Penguin

Heathen_Penguin Chieftain

With all of that gold, you can afford to settle on the iron. I'd even give up the one iron, if it were necessary.

How did your game turn out?

Heathen