PETA challenge

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Older than Dirt, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

I am just about to win a Noble level game (I had to play on this level to relax after struggling to win a couple of times on Prince) in which I have not abused any animals by forcing them to participate in humiliating military endeavors. I have stiffled the urge to build chariots, elephants, horse archers, knights, cavalry, and seals. I plan never to research horseback riding. (PETA stands for people for the ethical treatment of animals. It must be a religious based organization, because if there is no god then everything is permissible - gasp, even animal exploitation.) :D

2. GeorgeOP

GeorgeOP RF Bleachers

Did you also starve all your people to simulate the mal-nutrition your people have from not eating meat? Or did you mod in extra un-happy faces in all your cities?

3. Meffy

Meffy humanoid skunk

*fallsover*

(twitching)

P.S.: You'll have to avoid Civ III because of the F-15, as well as any mod that gives America an F-14, an A-10, any of a jillion units...

4. JackRules

JackRules incompertus vapulus

5. salty

salty Prince

No Tomcats or Warthogs, either?

Seals :cringe: If I play Aztecs can I build Jaguars ? And how about camps and fishing boats?

6. sligo

sligo Warlord

Hmm.. I suppose you should leave all cows, pigs, sheep, deer, beaver, horses, and elephant tiles unimproved (as to not endanger their habitat), along with the 8 tiles surrounding each of these tiles, just to be sure. Can't go fishing for fish, crab or whales, of course.

Oh, and when your scout kills a marauding lion, well. You'll just have to sacrifice the unit out of shame, right?

- Sligo

7. SlipperyJim

SlipperyJim Prince

"... and seals."
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you also slow down your research of Medicine and Genetics, to simulate the effects of animal-rights terrorists attacking your laboratories? ;)

8. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I find your claim that PETA might be a religious organization confusing.

9. SlipperyJim

SlipperyJim Prince

Since you asked....

There's no scientific or objective reason for PETA's claims. In fact, several realms of science are diametrically opposed to PETA's mission. Since evolution supposedly tells us that only the strong survive, being super-nice to animals is contrary to evolution. Furthermore, studying animal behaviors proves that Nature is "red in tooth and claw" as the poet wrote.

The only reason for PETA is a non-provable claim that animals deserve "human" rights. Believing a non-provable claim and attempting to influence other people is usually the task of religion. Therefore, PETA must be a religious organization.

Like many other religions throughout history, PETA also seems to (ironically) practice a form of animal sacrifice:
    http://www.animalscam.com/peta_7things.cfm

10. Zombie69

Zombie69 Emperor

Don't confuse morals and religion. You can be an atheist and still have the best moral background around.

11. Frostyboy

Frostyboy Never Beaten

PETA surely belongs on a fanatics site :lol:

"Oh my God - look at all those fish lying there in pain"
    (from a fishing boat - After the fish was slain)

12. Artanis

Artanis King

I believe that we should all emulate the lofty ideals of the People Eating Tasty Animals ;)

13. sligo

sligo Warlord

I read a PETA document once that talked about the fear in the pig's eyes as it was being wheeled into a slaughterhouse. 'Tis true, some people are fanatical about their beliefs, however founded or unfounded they may be.

Perhaps we should examine more of the fanatical ideas people have and see if we can incorporate them into the game. We'd have to be extra careful because some of these may border on some real senstive issues we deal with in today's world.

- Sligo

14. chewbaccad

chewbaccad Chieftain

If you ever want to see a great piece done about PETA, there's a show by Penn and Teller on Showtime called "BullS**t" (sorry mods, that's the name of the show). It's also out on DVD for you Netflix junkies. Anyways, it's a great episode that tells a lot about how PETA does business, recruiting, and exposes the hypocrasies of it's leaders. Gee, they're just swell people :rolleyes:

15. Yzen Danek

Yzen Danek Warlord

I think you confuse science with moral prescription.

Science is just the methodology for understanding and testing phenomena. It doesn't inherently have moral prescriptions that come from those findings.

Science tells us how evolution may work; it doesn't tell us how to behave towards it, anymore than science tells us how to behave towards gravity. Do we have a moral imperative in your view to stop flying?

16. sligo

sligo Warlord

Science may not dictate morality, but it will expose the absurdity of ill-founded belief. It was science, not belief, that gave man the ability to fly.

- Sligo

17. Yzen Danek

Yzen Danek Warlord

And that applies here how? It is science or belief that tells you that animals have nervous systems and sense of self, and feel pain? Is it science or belief that tells you that we are descended from a common ancestor?

If anything, I would say that morally justifying the killing of animals is what requires belief. Most of the arguments I've ever read defending the practice stem from the passage in Genesis granting man dominion over all animals. Feel free to list here other justifications which rise out of Science; I would be interested to hear them.

And hey, I eat meat, and I kill animals with my own hands. And I know it's immoral. I just like it too much. I'm just a bloodthirsty brute, and I'd be a superior being if I could deny myself that urge.

But I sure don't try to defend it morally. The ground is too shaky.

18. solops

solops Warlord

Always thought PETA meant People Eating Tasty Animals.

Hummm.

Well, cruelty is bad, even if you are about to eat the critter.

19. Smokey McDope

Smokey McDope Warlord

Well you see, a Tomcat is an F-14 and the Warthog would be the A-10. Both of which were already mentioned in a previous post.

20. neriana

neriana Warlord

Animals do feel fear. This is obvious to anyone who has spent any time with them. An animal that didn't feel fear wouldn't live long -- it's an evolutionary adaptation, one of the best. We are animals, it's not like our entire blueprint fell out of the sky and we're somehow exceptional.

I'm VERY pro-animal rights, by the way. Humane Society, ASPCA, World Wildlife Foundation, etc. PETA is nutty; the vast majority of animal rights activists don't want anything to do with them.

It's one thing to say science is valuable, but to pretend it has a moral ground is to pretend the earth is ordered on some moral plane, which is unscientific to the extreme. Science tells us that if we do X, Y will occur, but we are the ones who decide whether Y is a desirable outcome.