Petition for the Maya.

Petition for the Maya.

• Total voters

Greywulf

King
The leaked list of civs for The Gathering Storm expansion does not include the Maya. You can show your support for their future inclusion by joining this petition.

Last edited:
I support the Maya though I imagine there aren't many if any people here who don't! Hopefully a petition won't be necessary, of course there have been some civs that don't make into the next game like the Vikings, etc. but the Maya have consistently been in since Civ 3 and I have a hard time believing they'd start removing them now. Of course I think they'd make more sense in this expansion than the next one.

Maya should have been vanilla and not Aztec. I consider them the most important american civ. Nonetheless, I‘d rather take a well done Mexico than a boring just-another-civ Maya.

I think we also need a petition for Ethiopia, but I'm less optimistic about this. I'm afraid the devs think that Nubia can replace Ethiopia.

If you make a petition for Ethiopia, I will support it. Ethiopia are in my top 5 most needed civs that aren't yet in the game, and also in my top 3 African civs. They definitely deserve a spot in the game, and Nubia should never replace them ~ though I do think it's cool to see Nubia as well.

Maya should have been vanilla and not Aztec. I consider them the most important american civ. Nonetheless, I‘d rather take a well done Mexico than a boring just-another-civ Maya.

Quality is important with designing a playable civ, but yeah, I agree that I would have preferred the Maya over the Aztec too.

I think we also need a petition for Ethiopia, but I'm less optimistic about this. I'm afraid the devs think that Nubia can replace Ethiopia.
I hope not. Geographic proximity doesn't make them culturally or historically equivalent. :(

Maya should have been vanilla and not Aztec. I consider them the most important american civ.
100% agree.

Nonetheless, I‘d rather take a well done Mexico than a boring just-another-civ Maya.
We already have three too many postcolonial civs in the game. :sad:

Glad to see that so far everybody wants the Maya.

we can only hope for a third expansion at this point but of course i'd love to have them on.

we can only hope for a third expansion at this point but of course i'd love to have them on.
Perhaps we will still get some more DLC before they finish working on this game.

It's hard for me not to expect additional dlcs or expansion, seeing how several hardcore mainstay civs are (if leaks are correct) going to be absent.

The strongest argument here is Portugal. There is no way in hell Firaxis would suddenly omit not only so major regular guest empire but also modern nation -while Netherlands and Brazil are in.

I also don't believe there won't be
1) Babylon, the only missing civ present all the way since civ1
2) Maya, very iconic, in such games always comes together with Aztec and Inca
3) Byzantium

The weakest links here are Carthago (if Phoenicia is in) and Ethiopia, but they are still major, memetic and popular.

However, this doesn't end here. No more civs would also mean no US Native Americans, which I find hard to believe seeing well "cultural obligations" of Firaxis, an American company.

Personally I also deeply desire Morocco and think Morocco/Moors should be mainstay, but I may be in minority here.

It's hard for me not to expect additional dlcs or expansion, seeing how several hardcore mainstay civs are (if leaks are correct) going to be absent.

The strongest argument here is Portugal. There is no way in hell Firaxis would suddenly omit not only so major regular guest empire but also modern nation -while Netherlands and Brazil are in.

I also don't believe there won't be
1) Babylon, the only missing civ present all the way since civ1
2) Maya, very iconic, in such games always comes together with Aztec and Inca
3) Byzantium

The weakest links here are Carthago (if Phoenicia is in) and Ethiopia, but they are still major, memetic and popular.

However, this doesn't end here. No more civs would also mean no US Native Americans, which I find hard to believe seeing well "cultural obligations" of Firaxis, an American company.

Personally I also deeply desire Morocco and think Morocco/Moors should be mainstay, but I may be in minority here.
Not to say that it is right to do so, but I theorize that they may not feel the need to include a civ like Babylon as a playable civ with Sumer in the game already. Similar thinking could be used for other examples as well.
Regarding Portugal, that is an important civ that certainly deserves a spot too, but I get the feeling that they are stepping away a bit from a Eurocentric game, as in the past they have tended to have mostly European civs, with fewer to no representation elsewhere. With Spain, the Netherlands, and Brazil in the game, they could possibly be thinking that they can hold off on adding Portugal...at least til they release it as a DLC or for 3rd xpac (personally I doubt we will get 3 xpacs, but it is possible).

Really, there are a lot of great civs that should be added, but I figured I would just focus on one at a time.

Not to say that it is right to do so, but I theorize that they may not feel the need to include a civ like Babylon as a playable civ with Sumer in the game already. Similar thinking could be used for other examples as well.

And yet, IIRC, civ3 and civ4 had both Sumer and Babylon, while civ5 had Babylon and Assyria :)

IMO if civ5 can have both Denmark and Sweden then it can add non-European densely packed civs too.

Personally we need Babylon, Assyria, and Sumer--unless the devs insist on making Gilgamesh a mainstay, in which case we don't need Sumer. :(

Maya for civ 5 was one of my favorite civs , that mayan calendar was great add too.

I still think that civs should have less bonuses than in civ6 but asymmetrically diverse (while more balanced and stronger than in civ5).
Instead of "yo, this civ has like six different tile yield modifiers" - one passive "bonus to x when y" ability", one more active creative thing (Mayan calendar), unit and infrastructure.

Regarding Portugal, that is an important civ that certainly deserves a spot too, but I get the feeling that they are stepping away a bit from a Eurocentric game, as in the past they have tended to have mostly European civs, with fewer to no representation elsewhere. With Spain, the Netherlands, and Brazil in the game, they could possibly be thinking that they can hold off on adding Portugal...at least til they release it as a DLC or for 3rd xpac (personally I doubt we will get 3 xpacs, but it is possible).
I'm not quite sure they've stepped back from being overly Eurocentric considering we might get Hungary and Sweden in this expansion, not that it's a bad thing.
But I agree that there are some crazy omissions that probably need to point to either a third expansion or post GS DLC.
The main ones I can think of are:
Portugal- the first maritime empire in the world
Maya- the longest running major civilization in the Pre-Colombian Americas
Babylon (or Assyria)- Just because Sumeria isn't enough to cover that region and Babylon has been there since the beginning

Ethiopia and Byzantines are iffy, even though they should be included, but for other reasons may not be as glaring omissions as the above 3 since Ethiopia was introduced way later than others and the Byzantines cover a large area occupied by many other Civs and needed less than the above mentioned (I hate saying this by the way).

I agree with your reasoning, but I'll be sad if Ethiopia and Byzantium don't return, especially Ethiopia. :( Though of all the civs missing, I'm most missing Maya and Babylon/Assyria. :(

I agree with your reasoning, but I'll be sad if Ethiopia and Byzantium don't return, especially Ethiopia. :( Though of all the civs missing, I'm most missing Maya and Babylon/Assyria. :(
Yes, I should have mentioned that I would definitely prefer Ethiopia and Byzantium over Portugal though. Nothing against Portugal, they should still be in it, but are not on my necessity wish list.
Honestly they should probably be in this one as the returning European Civ instead of Sweden.
That being said I would be more happier if it were Austria. :mischief:

Top Bottom