1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Petra is really cool.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Drawmeus, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Drawmeus

Drawmeus Emperor

I really like the stuff they've done that enables you to get value out of marginal tiles/marginal strategies. Petra is a great example of this, as are quite a few of the Pantheon beliefs.

Good stuff.

2. dexters

dexters Gods & Emperors Supporter

Yep, built mine as Inca with desert hill tiles hugging one side of my capital. The bonus stacks with the Inca's UI

my capital is like a mini empire all in itself. And a monster production centre.

3. flairin

flairin Prince

I think you can even get food on mountain tiles...

4. pspboy7

pspboy7 Prince

I was looking at Petra the other day and wanted to build it, but I had no desert tiles to speak of...
    :(

5. ahawk

ahawk King

They've gone a way towards making desert tiles not just worthless terrain (worthless up until a need for oil, at least). Now there's Petra as well as the Desert Folklore pantheon belief.

6. S.K. Ren

S.K. Ren Prince

I'm currently trying to roll a Netherlands start along a Desert River. No luck yet but I Keep trying.

7. Bandersnatching

Bandersnatching Warlord

Yeah, Petra was the new wonder that I wanted to build the most, once I saw it was in the expansion. It can rock pretty hard, too - I have a game where a city that has access to two desert stones and two desert/hill/sheep built Petra, and is now rocking the crap out of that location. Also, with it you can build farms on desert tiles, yielding 2 food, 1 production, and 1 gold pre-fertilizer. It can turn a suboptimal location into a fantastic one.

8. gozpel

gozpel Couch-potato (fortified)

Trying this too, but with Arabia. :) They always have desert around them.
    But first I have to test all the new civs...And while Songhai always been my fav civ, with Arabia as runner up, this wonder might change my preference.

9. Loucypher

Loucypher King

Byzantium. 6 desert tiles in reach of my capital. Each of them improved with a Great Person improvement. They rock now.

10. CommanderZ

CommanderZ Warlord

Did they improve GP improvements? In vanilla those were almost never worth sacrificing the one time boost (or GA).

11. stroypa

stroypa Chieftain

Yh it rocks. I was on an Earth map with Byzantine and started in West Africa then placed Adrianople on the nile. I was 5 turns off getting it then Boudica completed it. It would have just given me so much as well! is about to get invaded soon though, then we'll see who is laughing.

12. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I built Petra while having Desert Folklore and a desert capital - it worked pretty well.

And Petra is not a hard wonder to build even on Emperor; perhaps the AI doesn't often spawn in desert, but it doesn't seem to prioritise this Wonder.

As one of my favourite real-world sites, I'm glad it's a decent Wonder rather than something like the mediocre bonus of the Terracotta Army.

Make sure to invade it with a landship...

Sidenote, the quote is incorrectly attributed - it's from the knight character as I recall, not Indy...

13. blac

blac Warlord

It's pretty decent. I like how it can turn useless tiles into really good ones.

This is what I like about Gods and Kings, it seems to level the playing field, because even if you get a crappy start you can find a way to turn it around if you play your cards right.

14. Loucypher

Loucypher King

Given that they can't all chug out a Golden Age anymore...yeah, it was really worth it. Three Great Engineers, one (early) Great Scientist, one Great Prophet and one Great Artist went into being tile improvements. Combined with Petra, those deserts became simply amazing to abuse.
    I just kinda wish Petra was JUUUUST a bit earlier in the tech tree.

15. Gorhaax

Gorhaax Warlord

It's definitely a powerful wonder. I built in my fourth city with a GE, who dropped the build times from 70 turns to 1 turn lol, and it turned from one of my worst cities, I was only planning on using it to get the 2 luxuries, into my fastest growing city,

16. Harv72b

Harv72b Prince

Yeah, the bonuses apply to mountain tiles if they're on desert.

Finally managed to beat the AI to Petra in what was originally going to be a military production city nestled amongst a bunch of hills. By the modern era that city was barely behind my capital in production thanks to 2 mountain, 3 desert hills, and a desert tile with aluminum all netting the Petra bonuses...if I'd managed to get the Hanging Gardens in there too it would probably have been stronger than the capital.

17. ggmoyang

ggmoyang King

Best Petra city ever? (check screenshot)

3 desert hill sheeps
    7 desert hills w/ fresh water (6 of them are riverside)
    1 desert hill silver
    1 desert hill marble
    4 desert hills
    1 desert aluminium
    Mt. Sinai

Try Sandstorm map, it gives really good chance.

Attached Files:

18. Snownova

Snownova Warlord

Do keep trying, I've played 2 games as Netherlands with a flood plains start and it. is. awesome! Especially if you can get desert folklore of course, but even without, polders are so incredible on flood plains.

19. Smokeybear

Smokeybear Emperor

Screenshot from my current game, nice spot for a Petra city- kinda light on bonus resources, just two sheep, one iron, one stone and some fish... but ya gotta love all them orange anvils :)

Early times yet, only 1600's, just building factory... can't wait till modern era with hydro plant and solar power, etc.

Petra Egypt

20. nefloyd

nefloyd King

Petra deserts with piety finisher, freedom finisher, desert faith, messiah, and strategic resources on them = LOL tiles