1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Petra/Natural Wonder rush + Wonder stacking

Discussion in 'Strategy Forum' started by Brannock, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Brannock

Brannock Chieftain

I don't know... this seems a tad broken. :p

Spoiler :

Playing as America on PerfectWorld, Small map, King difficulty. 10 civilizations, 15 city states. I prefer smaller, crowded maps as they're a lot less tedious to slog through (fewer junk cities) and the action begins right away.

While exploring, I found the Grand Mesa nearby and an absolutely perfect tile for Petra. Beelined Construction, picked up Petra, then Banaue Rice Terraces, Churches of Lalibela, and finally Machu Picchu. I had to purchase a Mountain tile before I could build Machu Picchu, but it decided to boost my Grand Mesa tile instead. That tile now outputs 6 :c5food:, 6 :c5production:, 13 :c5gold:, 5 :c5culture:, and 5 :c5faith:. Also have Desert Folklore for even more ridiculous boosts to those desert tiles.

I've never had quite this perfect of a storm happen before!

Had to beat back three invasions already. Montezuma to my northeast and Elizabeth to my south both got pretty pissed when I settled NYC. A combination of the Barbarian Mercenaries opportunity and Military Tradition allowed me to stalemate their (way too large for that point in the game) army until I could convince Alexander to DOW Monty and finish setting up the rest of my alliances and political network.

About turn 105 Monty and Wu Zetian DOW me and I had to busily pump out C-Bowmen and Swordsmen to help keep them at bay. I seem to have won the war of attrition though, thanks in no small part to my ridiculous production bonuses and Holy Warriors. Currently gearing up to crush China and expand my empire northward.

It's not often that I can pull ahead far enough to start the Wonder engine but when you do there's very little the AI can do about it. It doesn't help that the AI beelines, without exception, Pyramids and Flavian Amphitheatre. After that they tend to try for the Great Lighthouse and the Temple of Artemis if it's still available. That means it's usually very safe for me to try for Stonehenge and other powerful early Wonders that don't get prioritized.

I beelined the Great Wall with my initial Marble and it made all the difference in surviving those early invasions.

Not sure what I'll do after I expand northwards. I have many Wonders and a powerful religion (Desert Folklore, Tithe, Cathedrals, Holy Warriors, and Religious Texts). 36 :c5faith: per turn so far. Will be aiming for Order/Rationalism late game so I can feed my Faith into Great People, otherwise it'll just accumulate uselessly. Might try for a Domination victory - shouldn't be a problem with this powerful of a core - or just power my way to a thrilling Science victory.

I'm a little anxious about making any overt movements since I'm on a pretty precarious precipice so far already. There are a ton of civs near me and if I start aggressing, I can look forward to a world war as everyone DoWs on me. Already was pushing it with my first two expansions as it prompted Aztecs/China/England to DoW on me a few times, and Netherlands to get pissy at me.

What should I do to best secure my path to victory? I'm thinking grab China's coastal city and use that to open access to the northern sea routes and work on building strong borders to my east and west.

Suggestions?

2. Thalassicus

Thalassicus Bytes and Nibblers

It looks like there's a citystate just north of you. I'd start conquest there. Citystates are usually easier to capture than major civs, and give a large reward when conquered with the Spoils of War policy. It looks like that might also set you up in a position to flank China.

Capturing the citystate will almost certainly anger China, but it won't matter if you're going to kill them anyway. It might also upset the Aztecs, because they are close and tend to protect citystates. This should be okay since the Aztecs are another close target for conquest.

It's a shame there aren't more citystates near you. I always try to start my conquests with citystates. :)