1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PG as Placebo: Warmup Game

Discussion in 'Team Mad Scientists' started by peter grimes, Nov 20, 2008.

1. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Anybody can look at this thread, that's why I'm not calling it a spoiler.

I consider myself to be a novice at BtS - this is my first real game besides an hour or two of dabbling in SP. I'm much more comfortable in Vanilla, so I expect to be making lots of technical errors.

But when it comes to interacting with the other teams, I'm hoping that my years of cIV MP experience will outweigh my lack of familiarity with the new game details.

I"ll get a screenshot of my start posted today or tomorrow. I've settled in place (for once!) and started building a worker. I started with Mysticism, but I don't have any commerce tiles to work, so I'm probably going to miss out on a religion.

Spoiler :

oh - my civ's password is pi

2. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

OK: My start

I looked at the opening screen, and I'm competing against the Maya and Inca for a religion. I chose to go with Polytheism, banking on the fact that the AI would almost certainly go for Buddhism (since it's cheaper), and hoping that the human player is equal to me in GNP (I'm in second, only 1 civ is higher). Who knows - I just might get to be Hindoo!

Other than that, I'm building a worker in 15 turns.

3. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Restart, on DS's game.

This time, I'm Boudicca of Celts.

My start:

Can you believe that? :dubious:
    With my luck, something's going to happen and they'll restart the game :cry:

I took a snapshot of the f9 screen, but not too many people have settled a city yet, so I don't see the point in posting it - unless someone pipes up that they'd like to see it ;)

My Plan:
    Settle where I am (plains hill = +2hammers :drool)
    Workboat first, and then maybe 2 more :dunno: 2 for the resources, 1 for exploring and meeting future vassals neighbors ;)
    fishing -> mining -> bw (unless I start with any of those). But I want to get to BW for slavery - this city can whip like crazy :whipped:

EDIT: forgot to turn on the resource tab :blush:
    Resources:
    Wheat,
    Cow,
    Crabs,
    Clams

4. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Settled on the plains hill, set to research Fishing. Building a warrior first, then I'll do a workboat or 3 :D

I like my geographic situation: I don't have to worry too much about anybody sneaking up on me. Approaches are only possible from the East and South. This also means that scouting for my second city location is more efficient - I don't have to walk my scout in a grand arc :)

5. fed1943

fed1943 Emperor

The problem is...very low production for a capital:
    (site=2,plain cows=3,grass/hills=3) for a good total of 8;then some plains.
    Food is very good,of course, and commerce not bad.
    You must find quickly 2 powerhouses near.
    (Capital is a good producer of settlers and workers).
    Best regards,

6. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Alright - Finally able to log back in. I open the save, and receive a surprise:

:hmm: Now where did he come from?

Ahh! So I can likely find him to my south. Very well, I'll send one of my scouts that direction. The other scout (popped from a hut) will head East.

I move citizens around to confuse HUSch ;)
    No, I want the workboat as fast as possible, so I can get my worker that much faster. So I'll have the WB in 7. Nice.

7. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

The change of worker doesn't confuse me, but I ask, what will you do in the turn after building the workboat, the worker should be build better with pop 2. So you build a barracks.

My confusion originate from the fact, what have you done before, to get overflow of 2 :hammers:
    You have 7 turns of play and so 21 :hammers: since start.
    And why haven't you begin the workboat last turn?

Without the overflow, you would need 8 turns to build it; then it would be better to grow in the next 4 turns and then finish the workboat at pop 2 with an overflow of 4 :hammers:.

8. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Yes, I will likely do a barracks for a turn, allowing the city to grow before starting on the worker.

I didn't start WB last turn because I didn't come to work where the computer is that I use to play BtS :p

Because I didn't yet have fishing when I last logged in (on friday), I wasn't able to load the WB into the build queue.

Get it? :)

9. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Perhaps it will also better, to grow allways fast.
    This turn 5 :hammers:
    the next 3 turns 3 :hammers:
    Then 3 turns 6 :hammers:
    will also be enough and you can begin in the 8. turn with worker

10. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

You are right, HUSch :)

This is better than my plan. Thanks :hatsoff:

11. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Agriculture finished, Animal Husbandry begun.
    Workboat completes, start on worker. It will go faster once the workboat is put into service.

I popped some gold from a hut.

I decide there's enough forest around to give my southern scout a promotion: Woodsman2. I know where Topas is, now it's time to find someone else!

12. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Worker is just about to complete. He will improve the Wheat first, then the cow, and I'll build a warrior while the city grows to population 3.

I've met Daveshack in the south - further south than Topas. I sent him a note in-game, but either he didn't receive it or didn't like what I said; he hasn't responded. :dunno:

I've started thinking about where to settle. From what Topas mentioned in a letter, it seems that there's not a lot of room for us both. I may be forced to settle only north of Division River, which flows from the Continental Divide south of me, eastward to the Oriental Sea.

Attached Files:

13. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I think it was an empty screen.
    Did you hit enter after entering the message, or just press a button at the bottom?

14. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

I pressed the button at the bottom. Is this not correct??

15. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

For text only messages I think you have to hit enter and then press the button.

16. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

The text has to list in the middle (by enter), other it's not send.

17. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Ahhh! I will try that on my next turn. Thanks :)

18. peter grimes

peter grimes ...

Long time since an update - I apologize.

I grew to size 4 the same turn I produced my second warrior, and started on a second worker. After that, i'll likely make another warrior or two while growing to size 5, then start on the settler. I'm going to have to work out a settlement agreement with Topas, as he's straddling the saddle of our snaky continent. I'm hoping he's willing to go south towards the Shackian Empire, rather than squeeze me :please:

Here's my nice little capital, well micromanaged :D

Here's the overview, I've explored just about all I can.

Research plans are to beeline to Alphabet, so I can trade with Topas for BW and the other older techs.

19. HUSch

HUSch Secret-monger

Your cap is good better than mine, but your other cities (here)
    1 has only 1 water res, the other one tile south for the horses.