[BTS] PH S21E01: It's a Dam, Dam, Dam, Dam World

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Sep 25, 2021.

1. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

np, playing now

2. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

As a preface, I'd like to state that I hand over the game having been the most advanced Civ, and ready to found a fourth city.

To begin, I replay the last turn and push enter. I wonder, should we increase our spying %, and double down with the GSpy?

T97: thebes: temple > settler. I thought about whipping it, but the settler will only take 6 turns. I ended up using our worker to farm up helio. My rationale being that we can use the FPs and corn to grow fast, and whip for some early production. Then, rely on those plains tiles later in the game. Let me know if that's viable or optimal.

t100: Memphis: temple>forge; we have plenty of health there, and can use the shields and the happy. I note that Suya adopts HR and we get Buddhism

t101: An old civ fanatic makes a list:

t102: our warrior spies some axes to the east.:

t103: monarchy comes in for us, and I go HR as well. Research set to Maths (and constr later). I get started on that camp, and Thebes finishes the settler, and heads for a forge, too.

t104: who's this:

t106: barb spear attack; lost
    i attacked back :smoke: spear on a hill :smoke: and lost :smoke:

so, that 2nd warrior was guarding memphis, but i sent him north just to help fogbust briefly while we waited for the settler, along with that other warrior by red dot. so thebes is defenseless, too.

so, that's kind of where I left it. I'd love to play, but i wouldn't have the time to write up me heroically saving our empire from my own mistakes, so we'll settle for tales of oz's ignominious defeat. [i wouldn't do that to anybody else, buddy :clap: ]

We have a warrior incoming (not on GoTo iirc) from the east to reinforce. Archer in Helio, and Thebes' warrior heading north to walled Memphis, where our settler is currently retreating, too.

Our warrior is the cirlce, the settler is rectangle, and the barb is the black crackerjack.

Archer put ahead of the forge in thebes, but after the one in memphis as it only has one turn left so . . . maybe whip, and use the overflow into archer??

To reiterate, we have not lost.

Attached Files:

3. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Yet!!!

Got it!

Where do we want to go with this? We can't do domination as we can't grab cities on rivers, diplo seems hard with the opponents we have. So culture, space or conquest seem reasonable. If we want space, we should try and boost our science now to make up for poorish production, culture means trying to grab any free religions and farming great artists, conquest means heading for artillery and tanks (don't think we could do this with less than that), which also means boosting science.

Short term is to grab our river land but longer term????

4. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

maybe we should think espionage for stealing techs? or using GSpies since we're already banking points way before anyone else. either way, using the river commerce should help. trying to get near those hills to our NE would be great.

it might be nice to keep maya as our big brother protector while we grow under its shadow.

i think any victory might need a bit of the ol' smashy-smashy simply b/c of our poor production; we may need to slow down our rivals.

5. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

so, long-ish term plan? boost prod and science with more expansion, and we can see what seems most feasible around the middle ages.

6. Ozbenno

I'll prioritise getting Alphabet for tech trading and spies in my set.

7. Ozbenno

First thing I mention is the distinct lack of military. Hopefully no-one else realises and declares!

Interestingly, Pacal has Alphabet and we can acquire it for this price

We can then use it to trade with the others if they have anything to offer.

Another city is founded and another warrior falls to a barb axe.

Our first awesome person arrives, I think merging him is the best but sending him to Pacal or someone else might be good to get some points (think we'll end up with more points long term by merging though)

Mathematics arrives and we have a few interesting choices to make. Code of Laws seems good, grab a religion and opens civil service. Currency, Alphabet, Aesthetics also seem all right.

I stopped there (5 turns) will do the remaining 5 later after some feedback on

• Trade with Pacal for Alphabet?
    • What to do with the GSpy?
    • What to research next?

8. LKendter

LKendter Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate!!! Supporter

Our cash reserves need to be increased. I would hate to get spent $20 to save a mine, and we can't.
    It doesn't like like much of an ocean this game. Keeping metal casting for Colossus isn't something to worry about. Make the trade.
    Merge the spy. This early on we gain more from the merge. We are to small to waste the spy on a GA.

Normally currency looks good for an extra trade route. However, it this case I don't think we connect to another civ yet, so low value. We are low shields, so no real strong desire for aesthetics to open up wonders.

9. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Those low shields, I think, are going to be our biggest limiting factor, for just about anything we want to do

10. Ozbenno

11. Ozbenno

And we go on.....

A quick overview of our empire shows we need more workers to cottage/mine and settlers for growth. With this in mind I choose Code of Laws for courthouses to improve the finances and allow growth.

The Great Spy is merged. Alphabet acquired from Pacal and a spy being built.

The elephants are camped so we now have plenty of happiness.

And that ends a quiet set.

I started Pyramids in capital to grow one pop in order to use all out improved tiles and have now put a settler in front. The walls in Heliopolis can probably be whipped into a granary or forge. It actually might have semi-decent production eventually.

Code of Law in 5 turns, can whip some courthouses in the secondary cities then.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
  12. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

nice. slow and steady . . . it seems like peaceful expansion as much as possible is where we're headed in the next few sets. hopefully then a win condition will begin to present itself, but i'm still thinking maybe space is our best option

i'm heading into the car in a bit for a holiday with some college friends, so will be OOP until monday afternoon. if you want to skip me, that's fine. if someone else is lurking and wants to a hand in the game, feel free to pipe up.

13. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

alrightey, i'm back. I probably put in the turns tonight, but will post tomorrow so I can spend some time with the family. i'll take the advice of that handsome fellow, and look for some more peaceful expansion.

14. Ozbenno

Cool. Hope you enjoyed your weekend away and some peaceful expansion

15. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Gorn!

t119: Confucianism FIADL. Memphis finished the Spy, and I started on another archer. I sent the spy eastward to check out Pacal before moving onward. We still know shockingly little about the map. If only we had any unit that moved more than 1 tile.

t121: I forgot about the GWall effects and was getting ready to say it wasn't my fault the barb spear ate our worker.

Gorrrrrnnnn!

t122: I set Memphis to grow to full happiness after our archer finished. I started up just one more while its growing. We have 9 happies here, and the gold got hooked up during my set (or is about to finish, i can't remember). Christianity FIADL.

t123: Thebes finished settler, and I let it go on with the Pyramids (it has a sort of woody quality) here.

[ here is where i realize that i think i skipped LK; right? looking back, it seems he's maybe OOP as well since thurs so can play next...i don't know and we can figure out. sorry though ]

kept the pyramids to swap from HR perhaps. first i was thinking Rep for the +5 happy, but it has the med upkeep and we can't use the spec bonus much. then i thought maybe US might help with production. So, i kept it in there, even if we have to crawl to a score victory.

t126: Helio: walls > temple to get more happiness. I also rearranged the pops to stagnate. I employed a priest. We also lost our warrior to a barb axe as i got cornered w/o meeting the blue man group.

t128: Helio: temple is done, and I went with granary for more GORRRRRNNNNNNNN!. kept the population stagnate for a bit more, to keep production up.

t129: i stopped here as I was about the settle, but realized there was no dot map or discussion. Here's my site:

I was thinking we could use the river for irrigation and trees for production, and as a buffer just in case the worst happens and we need a capital-buffer.

Attached Files:

16. LKendter

pholkhero >>
    LK >> Playing
    Ozbenno >> on deck
    You >> getting ready, feeling the itch

Didn't realize I was up. Use to seeing a roster.

17. LKendter

350 AD (0)
    I don’t see a reason to move the settler. Alexandria is founded.

Heliopolis is food heavy, so I whip the granary. Next up is another worker.

375 AD (1)
    (IT) Code of laws is completed. Our military situation is scary, so I pick construction for elephants and catapults.

425 AD (3)
    I send a worker to get roads to the cows. Our health situation is bad. We need those online.

475 AD (5)
    Our worker runs to the corn. It is another source of health that doubles with granaries.

520 AD (7)
    Elephantine needs the whip. It is shield poor. The next worker gets whipped, and work starts on a Buddhist temple. That city needs more culture to speed up getting the iron on-line.
    (IT) The Pyramids are completed. I am surprised we got them this late.

540 AD (8)
    I revolt to representation.
    (IT) The next research project is civil service.

580 AD (10)
    I switch research to horseback riding. I forget that is needed to build elephants. Archers won’t make it through the game.
    After that, civil service is back in the queue.

I whip the Buddhist temple in Elephantine. I queued up an obelisk. 87 turns for iron is totally unacceptable. The temple will cut that time in half.

Summary:
    Add the Pyramids to our wonder list.

There is another settler being built for the far river. At this point, I’ve not picked the final location.

Heliopolis will expand borders in 2 turns. Make sure to get the stone on-line in case we want more wonders.

Alexandria is very forest choked. The worker there should chop a few to speed up a granary, the other buildings.

Attached Files:

18. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Still lurking (and playing a shadow game). Are you sure about building the Hoover Dam (given it doesn't exist in this version)? Maybe build Three Gorges Dam instead?

19. Ozbenno

20. LKendter

Don't forget more workers. I trying to get our cities connected by roads to speed up troop movements.