PH08: The People of the Deer

okay, another good point re: the minimal gpt yield. Will stifle the angry voices and play ~ report tomorrow!

It has been so long since I have run through these trees. So long since I ate the tangy needles and feasted on the sparse flowers . . . Not long ago, I was a man. I ran through these woods, too, but with none of the speed I have now – now that I am a deer once more.

My life was long as a man, but uneventful. I was recruited young. Taken from my mother at age 11 to be raised as a Dog Soldier. All across the lands, the People of the Deer began to train their young. Our warriors numbered many, and I was proud to have my part.

However, life as a Dog was tedious. Day in and day out, we patrolled the forests near our growing towns, fighting off nothing so fierce as a badger, albeit a quite annoyed one.

And then came the day of judgment for me. We were called forth to do battle with a roaming band of the Tribeless, those who knew nothing of towns, who knew nothing but rape and pillaging.

When I woke, I knew the day was meant for my death, and I prayed to the gods of the forest to accept my Spirit again ~ to return whence I came to this life . . . I fasted, and purified myself, and we Dog Soldiers strode from the village.

We found the Tribeless, sharpening their soaring spears, their arrows they call them. But they do not know these tree as we do, the are not friends with the wood. And so the forest hid our movements, so that when we came upon them, they were quite unawares.

The fighting was fierce, bloody, and quick. The Tribeless lay dead, and it was as we were slitting the throats of the survivors that I felt the arrow pierce my flesh. The shot was true, though the man who fired it was dead before he fell back to the ground. I looked at the darkening rosettes on my buckskin tunic, and darkness overcame me.

While defending in the wild, Dog Soldier defeats (2.08/4): Barbarian Archer (Prob Victory: 98.2%)

I do not know how long I slept, but I was aroused by the sounds of Dog Soldiers, speaking to one another not far away. I opened my eyes to find these brothers of mine, and discovered the forest had welcomed me back into its arms. I was deer once more.

Though I could not speak to my former brethren, I whispered my tale onto the winds, and my words were taken to heart by the men.
Tribal village results: experience

The Epic of Powatea, the earliest known Native American writing, circa 650 bce

As you can tell, nothing much happened. I didn't use the Prophet since nobody else had any thoughts; I punted the question.

We built several Dogs, I whipped a worker at Cahokia, started the Temple of Artemis @ Poverty Pt, and a granary @ Mound. I’m not sure about the Temple, but I figured we could use the culture.

After Writing came in, I started on Meditation. Hammie just discovered Mono, and he’s now researching Med; I fear he’s heading for Theo!

Also Hammarabi put a city down just NW of PP, so we perhaps could use more soldiers . . . and more cities, more culture, more religions . . . :mischief:

We should also figure out where we're going from here. I was going to start on the Pyramids @ Cahokia for the culture and Representation, but not sure if we need more troops and/or cities right now. We're at +1 gpt @ 60%, so i don't think we can afford much yet. We might want to think about cottaging the everything on the river at Cahokia (even over that farm) ASAP to bolster finances.

What tech path are we on ~ my mind was Meditation > Mono > bulb Theo > back to top of tech tree, but I know some thought about ABCs; i open to arguments.

Here’s some overview shots, the roster and the save:

Boothed (15 Turns Peacetime Standard)
Pigswill >> UP NOW
Njorls >> on deck
Imhotep >>
Trieste>>
Lucky1972 >>
Pholkhero >> just played

PS ~ you'll notice the name is changed to PH08. I asked Ainwood to swap it so that there wasn't any confusion on the forums AND b/c I swiped Imhotep's number :goodjob:

You must be missing it.

But, in case other people can't see it either, here it is again ;)

Attachments

• PH08 BC-0625.CivBeyondSwordSave
    126 KB · Views: 57
Got it for some time in the next couple of days.

Has Oracle gone yet? (can't remember and too lazy to read thru). If not we could go for PH before meditation, if succesful we could slingshot CoL.

Red Dot no longer seems an attractive site. Hammy pinched the food, PP has pinched the gems.

Why ToA?

'twas an 'tweener ~ I wasn't really sure WHAT to build there to be honest, and Artemis seemed good for the culture points (plus the 1000 year bonus as well). Libraries just came in on my last turn, so I couldn't switch it in anywhere. Would be good @ all cities, esp Mound for the ability to run some Scientists ~ maybe builb Philo??

We should decide, though, b/c it really does seem to me that Hammarabi is aiming for Theology. Though I know not his bent for religions, things may've changed w/Blake's AI additions.

Let's decide now, though, b/c I think if we go for CoL via Oracle, we will probably lose Theo. But if we do go Oracle, we could burn that GP :groucho:

Immy, Trieste, Lucky ~ your thoughts?

I'd rather go for the Oracle for the extra culture and burning the prophet like you said (2 gpt is a lot on this crazy map).

the other thing we could do is get col with the oracle, then go for alphabet right after priesthood, try to trade for meditation and mono, and then get theo with the prophet. Long shot, but worth a try b/c I don't think anyone else will have a prophet go get theo with and alphabet is about half the cost of theo, so we have a chance of getting alphabet, then trading for mono and meditation and bulbing theo the turn we get alphabet. we'd have to hang on to the prophet to do this tho, and would definitely lose if whoever got mono first went right for theo.

looking at the save,

the ethiopians are here where this green wheat is
(spoilers for uncropped pics)

Spoiler :

and it looks like the byzantines founded a city really close to hammurabi

Spoiler :

pholkhero: going for Oracle shouldn't affect Theo quest; we need meditation, PH and mono in any order; its simply a matter of swopping around PH and meditation.

When I was about to post my 2 years old daughter managed to delete everything and reload... but then I noticed I haven`t read the last 3 posts... I rechecked the save and I think we only need monotheism now to bulb Theo. Then I think we should definitely do that. Afterwards I would go Alpha, but we could still try Priesthood and the Oracle, although I am not confident we would get it.

I would change the build in PP to a Library, not only for the sci bonus, but also for the culture.

I suggest we add a couple of spears to our army.

I think we`re getting past the time for another settler, but I don`t know where to send it. Thinking about claiming more land I saw a nice river site with wheat and sheep but a lot of ice to the east. We should watch out for the AI settler spamming phase, it is very annoying and sometimes comes too fast.

The Oracle is always worth a try. Even if we don't get it we would get some ca$h to fuel research or expansion. As for religions we don't need to found them all ourselves - it suffices if they spread to us...although the shrine(s) would definitely help.

Imhotep

I would change the build in PP to a Library, not only for the sci bonus, but also for the culture.

I suggest we add a couple of spears to our army.

Seconding both of these, especially the second because Hammurabi has a chariot in his new city by PP.

Stomps on Wolves continued his quest, driven to explore the four corners of the world. His journeys through the woods were broken by an onrush of the People of the Wolf yet his skills were masterly and easily he defeated them, gaining further insights into the Ways of the Woodlands. He reached the Farthest East and headed north continuing his explorations. Many years later while exploring the hinterlands of the Hungry Men he espied scouts of the Wolf People and hurried north. Fire in Darkness, leader of the Hungry Men granted him entrance to their borders.

Nutmeg the Mystic sat dreaming in the smoke lodge. The People of the Deer knew of the Tao, the Seers were wise, the Great Stone Circle gave direction to the turning of the seasons, yet there was no centre, no focus. She had a vision of the mystics, seers and wisewomen united. But how to achieve this?

On leaving the smoke lodge she sent messengers to Poverty Point and Mound City to summon a convocation of the wise. They gathered over the next few months and discoursed over many seasons. By the end of their conference they had formed themselves into a Priesthood. Their new found unity needed a symbol. They petitioned the Chiefs of the People of the Deer for workers to construct a new Wonder for the people, an Oracle that would give insights into the future. Long the people toiled, forests were felled to speed the work. Yet all in vain. News came through on the wings of rumour that their vision had been forestalled, The Oracle was built elsewhere. Undeterred the priesthood continued their studies, mastering meditation before pondering the nature of the Numinous Mysteries, could this truly be one Divinity? The debates continued.

The Chiefs had other matters to ponder. The Babbling Ones had turned to the way of the Buddha, would this direct them to a peaceful future? The War Chiefs urged caution. Reports had reached them from the borders of the Babbling Ones. Humble Rabbit's people had tamed the maned, hornless deer and yoked them to two wheeled carts to form War Chariots. Long had the People of the Deer known of the use of the spear when hunting the fiercest of the woodland creatures. The War Council ordered a band of Spearmen to form up in Poverty Point to defend against this latest predator.

Jesting One of the Buzzing Towns sent envoys to the Council requesting an opening of the borders between their two peoples. The chiefs pondered the matter. Peaceful trade would lead to greater understanding and respect. The petition was granted:

In any thriving civilisation there is a shadow of thieves and swindlers, usually no more than a nuisance to the honest citizenry. Yet occasionally one of their number can spring into greatness. A master of disguise and deception who can pass unseen through a crowded concourse, can hide behind a blade of grass, can filch out hidden secrets however carefully concealed. Such a one was born to the People of the Deer:

Some numbers of the young and restless left the bustle of the growing cities and formed villages on riverbanks and clearings where they could develop their entrepenurial skills. Their commerce and the increased supplies of jasper and amethyst from the mines near Poverty Point gave liberty to increased numbers of students and scholars so much so that the Chiefs and Elders instructed the construction of libraries in Poverty Point and Mound City to house the scrolls and tablets that were being produced.

The people of Cahioka were distressed that their labour on the Oracle had been in vain and so a band of pioneers began to assemble to form a new settlement in the wilderness.

The Chiefs had considered the matter of new towns and cities to house the growing numbers of the People of the Deer. Northwards were the cities of the Babbling Ones, to the northeast lay the barren expanse of The Great ice. The Chiefs summoned the commanders of the Dog Soldiers. "Travel east" they commanded, "Hunt and harry the barbarian People of the Wolf so that the lands may be kept secure for our people. You are now Wolfhounds". Two companies set off.

Dreams of Flying Pigs had been appointed leader of one of these companies, his family had been of long service to the People of the Deer and despite his reckless foolishness he had been favoured with command. While exploring the eastlands he ordered his company across a river without sending scouts to explore the further bank. A band of the People of the Wolf could not believe their fortune and riddled the entire company with arrows, then they were no more. The warchiefs were grim when the news reached Mound City. A further company of Wolfhounds was dispatched east and with wiser leadership subdued the area without further loss.

News reached the elders of the People of the Deer of a growing estrangement between Jesting One and Humble Rabbit. Mayhap this would distract Humble Rabbit from venturing southwards. Mayhap it would encourage him to settle southwards?

Okay, it seems like we're all up for trying for the Oracle AND for Theo ~ :lol:

so, why not Meditation > Priesthood (start building Oracle) > Mono if we have time/bulb Theo

I don't think we'll need ABCs to trade for those other techs then, but we should get it soonish for unlocking lit, aesthetics, music, etc.

I agree that we need to start thinking about more cities ~ maybe 3 ~ but I think we're going to have to get used to them all being "sub-optimal" (to use the understatement of the year). Maybe have PP go Library > Spears, while we try for Settlers elsewhere ~ though, we won't be able to go w/the Pyramids @ Cahokia then

I think that's everyone, and I think we've got a good plan here ~ Pigs, you can start your 24/48 from here (which we should ALL do if we ever have to come to some decision ~ we shouldn't deliberate for 2 days, and then expect a report in 12 hrs).

Also, don't feel pressured to write a narrative report. Though it makes for a more colorful read, I know it can be time-consuming and such ~ i'll probably only write one every now and again, so . . .

d'oh ~ cross-post ~

great report, but tough luck for us re: the Oracle. Let's hope we get more luck with Theo, and who's to say we can't get CoL the old fashioned way.

continue on the Spears, Settlers and Stuff, too

Beethed (15 Turns Peacetime Standard)
Pigswill >> just played
Njorls >> UP NOW
Imhotep >> on deck
Trieste>>
Lucky1972 >>
Pholkhero >>

Haha :lol:

Cross post with pholkhero.

Having checked out GP tech preferences it looks like we need meditation, priesthoodand mono before a Prophet will lightbulb theology (unlike Oracle when you only need writing and mono). That's why I went PH>med>mono route. We're about 7 turns from mono running 70% at a slight deficit. Humble Rabbit is researching monarchy. We got 88gp refund from Oracle.

Hopefully the report is comprehensible. If not I'll put together a more prosaic turnlog.

Got it.

So it looks like my goals for the round are:

Finish Monotheism, lightbulb Theology. What do you think we should research next? CoL, Alphabet, Monarchy would be nice. I don't see any happy resources so Monarchy will be needed sooner or later. Though we can skip Monarchy if we go for Pyramids. Alpha could let us trade our religious techs for other needed ones (archery namely).

Found next city. Where the dog soldier is on the hill 3S, 2E of Mound city gets us 2 deer and more copper. 1S of that would be better but an earlier poster said cities get bugged if founded in extreme S or N of the map. There's always Red Dot, Nippur doesn't seem to be producing any cultuer. A totem pole and library there could get us all 3 food sources. Food's about the best you can do on this map. Since Cahokia is at the happy cap I could start another settler here after the one in progress is finished.

Build more troops. Spears seem popular, sounds good to me.

What do you think of a state religion and Org Religion when Monotheism comes in? We should be able to get Hammurabi to convert easily enough. I'm not sure how aggressive the aggressive AI is, I've never played a game with it on.

Maybe put next city on or near red dot after all to seal our borders. We've got enough space for a few more small cities to the south and east and if AIs turn up with settlers then close borders with them until settlement is finished.

What about inserting archery between mono and alphavit to make use of the free totem poles (also dog soldiers are vulnerable to bowmen).

Top Bottom