1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PH11: Hypermegaglobalnet

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Kodii

Kodii Ka ICE

Definitely found on the spot. Without a serious need for bronze (barbs won't be THAT bad, will they?), I think we can head straight for Masonry. The earlier we get the Pyramids going, the earlier we'll secure those 2 GEs

2. Conroe

Conroe √∞

Sounds good to me ... Do we beeline for Mathematics (for the HG) after BW? Or do we take the religious route and go after caste?

3. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I think go after caste as representation is our research tool. HG does seem to last a bit longer but we need to get the GE points asap and we need Mathematics for Currency, which could be the next stop.

4. Talamane

Talamane Chieftain

Sometimes with custom continents, you end up on a really big island with another civ. If that happens, there is usually another island with just barbs.

One time though, i got a neighbor (dead early), and the other island had two civs (one became a vassal to the other, of course), and there were two barb islands.

Barbs can be a problem on this map, beware. The civ that builds the GW usually has a tech advantage since mil can be held to a minimum until astro, and the human player's fogbuster costs can be turned to science.

5. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

It’s surprising how fast the turns move when there’s no one else around :yup:

At the beginning, I noticed a mistake I made: the game is on Epic :( Rather than restart, we’ll just play more turns per set, I think.

I founded Washington as discussed:

Went for Mining and a worker first.

We got lucky with a few huts:

Masonry started

Then our luck changed:

D’oh!

Still, I persevered. Masonry came in 3575 bc, Buddhism dropped in 3475, Hinduism in 3350 bc. I kept playing until BW came in (turn 38) so we could discuss from here where to go next.

I started a settler after a couple more warriors, and we should whip it when possible. Here’s an overview shot of what we can see of our island.

Caste indeed seems like a good place to go next. The upper part of the tree, w/ABCs for Math later, seems like a good route to me for now. Afterwards, we can head for Aesthetics > Lit, as well, for TGLibrary.

I also am going to try out turnsets with no set turn limit. I played 38 up until BW came in, but we can stay btwn 30-40 turns for now, and then drop down to around 20 after this first round. Just play until a good stopping point and report.

Roster
    pholkhero >> just played
    ozbenno >> UP NOW
    pawelo >> on deck
    r_rolo
    Kodii
    Conroe

Attached Files:

6. pawelo

pawelo Chieftain

Merry christmas everyone!

Nice to see the game started :D

I sense a nice settling cow/copper/river, as well as something getting profit of these fishes - though the surroundings are crappy.

Weren't we supposed to privilege eco-research ? If so, we should head Currency before the GLib route.

Don't eat too much tomorrow :p

7. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

yes, happy xmas to our non-US SGers ~

also, the above rule only applies to available techs. So, if Currency (or any "econ-tech" is available) we MUST research it. If not, we don't :D

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Hey , not all of the non US SGers are already in the 24th :p ( by the way , I still got to work tomorrow... :gripe: )

We have 2 nice possiblities for a cooper cow city by the river: on the coast or 2 tiles from the coast ( with a little overlap to capitol... ) In raw terms the inland city looks better, but being coastal has his merits, especially after harbours....

And we need to go south.... we're cramped between tundra and desert

P.s Blocking currency is not a good move, because it implies to not research maths and Alpha, a thing that blocks construction and Calendar. I don't think that is desirable, and i doubt that the spirit of this SG is to run away from Eco techs :D

9. Ozbenno

10. Conroe

Conroe √∞

Always peace on epic speed???? :ack:

Don't know about "nice" :undecide: ... If we want the GLH, then coastal. And I think we started with Fishing, so Sailing as the next tech.

I'd also prioritize the cow and furs site up north. Commerce plus early happiness would do us some good.

Definitely! Hopefully we will find some food down there.

11. Ozbenno

Hope everyone had a great Xmas. I think I put on 10kgs :D

All seems to be in order, so I plough onwards.

Well we don't have to scout to far south to find the ends of the earth.

Let me interpret this, ph is pathetic :goodjob:

I play a quick 15 turns as settler and research complete on the same turn.

I think Writing would be a good research option but The Wheel might also be needed.

As for Washington builds, a warrior is needed.

I also got an event. I went for the health but have a feeling we didn't get it. Luckily we didn't get the pop loss either.

The settler hasn't moved but I think cow/copper is the spot.

Must go and eat more.

12. pawelo

pawelo Chieftain

I wouldn't say I put on 10 kgs, still a decent 5 ones :p
    Christmas - the time of year you spend more time eating than doing anything else...

Got it :bump:

Will settle coastal unless advised and convinced otherwise.
    Any ideas regarding wonders or techs ?

13. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

good turns, though your choice on the health event was :smoke: don't you remember what ruff said about that one ~ those extra health only last as long as your unhappy faces!

ahh well, lucky we didn't get it.

it's too bad we miss out on that Desert FPs, but a coastal city DOES fit the theme too well.

14. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

You did get it, look at the next screenshot.

15. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

I think that's the actual event message. I don't think those msgs display your results as their "public."

the next player can check easily enough on the city screen.

16. Kodii

Kodii Ka ICE

Nope.

The bottom message is the actual event message.

The above message proves that it was a success.

17. Ozbenno

I looked at the city screen and couldn't see any extra health. Forgot it doesn't seem to work.

18. pawelo

pawelo Chieftain

A fine fine turnset, even though we have such a crappy and food-less continent :)

On the inherited turn, our Aussie friend made us a settling party available. I dispatched it toward it's new home, on the eastern coast (where else could NY go ?).

T57
    I get a BUG message stating that Washington is about to go unhappy. At pop 3??? Are we playing Deity? A close look shows that the city is undefended and has been heavily whipped (28 turns of whipping unhappiness :eek: Well done guys :goodjob:)

T58
    First huge strike of luck - must be due to having some lucky players around (see some MLG reports ;)) :

On the same turn, the Big (well, Small as for now) Apple is founded:

T60
    Warrior is done in Washington for garrisoning.
    With this huge amount of silver-money I decide to start another settler asap.

T62
    Clifton Curver Troy (what MOD are you using Pholk for these names?) pops some gold to the north, before bravely beating up a lion:

He is sent to healing duties for 8 turns - yep, he was heavily bit...

Next turn, Joy Ashley Lark (or warrior #2) survives to a wolf and needs only 3 turns of healing.

T64
    Mother of all the luck strikes once again, proving her mercy towards a crappy-landed civilization of ours:

I will definitely play lottery this weekend :lol:

Some uneventful turns later, Writing is discovered:

I start Mysticism for Monuments, to make NY useful once the border pops.

T73
    Joy survives to a wolf without a hurt while he is on his way back home.
    I decided so having spotted a barb archer to the south... We should go for Hunting/Archery to have something better than warriors for garrison - or chop the GW (can we? I'm too lazy to check the rules)

T74
    Settler done. A warrior starts with no hammers on it.
    Joy is coming home (the warrior, not the hapinness - though the whip penalty will expire in ~15 turns :crazyeye: it's epic speed). Clifton is getting some fog disappear up to the north.
    Mysticism is due in 1.

Time to stop and decide what to do with these settling guys. Here is our useful part of the island :

There are some spots to settle - silk/cow or silk/fish to the west, fish/rice to the south, marble/oasis production spot south of NY etc.

Let the group decide.

Roster
    pholkhero
    ozbenno
    pawelo >> just played
    r_rolo >> UP NOW
    Kodii >> on deck
    Conroe

19. Ozbenno

We need to think about Pyramids as we need the GE points.

Nowhere is screaming out for a settling though.

20. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

But where to put them?... in capitol looks better but it looks to be the only decent place on this island... the GE poits will be overerridden fast

BTW got it for tomorrow. feel free to toss opinions ( about the game.... not about ph being pathetic ;) ( just quoting ) )

P.S It looks like another isolated game.... the RNG really doesn't like me :lol: