1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PH11: Hypermegaglobalnet

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Dec 20, 2007.

1. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

Huh?? did i forget that option?

nice turns ~ any idea of the turncount for Currency?? I can check when i play, but if you knew, that would be cool :goodjob: imo, we need the research boost we would get from hiring some merchants, so we should maybe put sailing on hold. I'll check out the save later today, but won't be able to play until tomorrow probably.

Roster
    pholkhero >> UP NOW
    ozbenno >> on deck
    pawelo
    r_rolo
    Kodii
    Conroe >> just played

2. Conroe

Conroe √∞

Don't recall exactly, but we had somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 - 30 turns remaining. I was thinking of maybe working some of the coastal tiles to try and speed things up.

3. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

I played 21 turns. Stonehenge and TGWall were BIDL, while we built our own stone structure:

I revolted to Rep at that point and hired some citizens. We’ve got about 60some turns until our first Engineer. I was then able to finish Currency in 21 turns:

We have a settler done in 2 turns, but unfortunately Sir Joy Ashley Lark met his demise.

I have a city spot marked to intercept some barbs, and here’s a possible dotmap for future cities, with the aim of founding more, smaller cities, rather than fewer, larger ones:

After the Pyramids were done, I went with an Aqueduct, but now that Currency is in, we should throw in a market there, and hire some merchants. I also started Aesthetics for Lit and TGLibrary, which could very well go in Boston since I don’t envision very many merchants going there in the future.

Also, if we agree on TGLibrary for now, and maybe Music for the GArtist now or even make a move for Colossus, and caravels?? perhaps Music > Metal Casting > Optics, and then start thinking about a liberalism > Astro sling.

Finally, we're in need of wheat or corn or rice for Cereal Mills, and so with no war, we'll need to aggressive if we want to seize any. Do we think colonies should be part of the theme?? :agree:

I've been settling on a general time for turns at about 30 mins or so, so if things are moving fast we could each play around 20-25 turns, depending on game events.

Roster
    pholkhero >> just played
    ozbenno >> UP NOW
    pawelo >> on deck
    r_rolo
    Kodii
    Conroe

Attached Files:

4. pawelo

pawelo Chieftain

Agree with the colonnies! Such a nice capitalist concept :D

It's starting off well, even though we have a crappy island.

5. Quotey

Quotey Chieftain

Can I ask why you'd want to found the teal and green dots? You'll probably get a border pop in Boston before you'd consider settling it, and teal just seems bad.

6. Jet

Jet No, no, please. Please.

Lurker's: Looks like you already have Rice for Cereal Mills.

@Quotey: Not to answer for anyone, but teal and green leverage their limited available tile assets (Always Peace). They also monetize the coast tiles and the long-term opportunity for Harbors and Custom Houses, which synergizes with their core competency in Lighthouses and Courthouses to generate a positive return on investment. Teal enables a strategic specialization focused on Rice.

7. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

The double fish city screams to be a GP farm in the future.... I would move your blue dot north for the same reason ( light blue can keep the rice ). Red is doable ( pure merchant city.. nothing more ). Not sure about the purple... and the green citis are somewhat rubbish

As we are isolated I think that making HG in capitol could be a strong move ( more health + more pop + Eng GPP ). It doesn't look as we have a lot of Ind civs out there ,so I think it is doable,. The big con would be the strong GE polution

And colonies look good... in our ex foes land ,of course :devil:

@ Jet

Cereal mills requires grain... it doesn't matter if it it is in our lands or not ( AFAIK )

8. Conroe

Conroe √∞

Do you mean hire merchants in our Pyramids city? Do we really want to pollute our GE pool? I think I'd rather head straight for the Hanging Gardens.

We have a source of rice between blue and cyan dots. Or will we lose that one to Sushi? I've yet to found a corp, so I'm not 100% sure how this all works (which is why I signed up for this game). But I would assume that as long as the corps are in different cities, it would be OK.

9. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i just wanted them as fishing villages for the most part -- just have enough food to run 2 merchants in each city, but that could be the wrong strategy. I'm open to change :yup:

don't know if you found corps with traded resources. might be good for us to find out :mischief:

capital has pyramids and so is our GE center for now. we need the Hanging Gardens to doulbe the GE points and get our 2 fairly quickly. We can then go to all merhcants and KILL any other GEs! :devil:

edit: oops, x-post w/conroe -- true enough about the merchants and the GE pool. at least i already contradicted myself already above :D

edit2: oh, and its always peace

10. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

@ Jet
    We aren't in always peace... Mr pholk forgot to check that ( see post #60

@Conroe

Corps consume excess resources. That rice will be avaliable for Cereal Mills

@ pholk

Not sure if the extra maitenance and spent Hammers in setlers are compensated by having 2 merchant cities. We would need a math junkie for those calculations ( or a Fox :lol: )

And can't we kill the GE under newly built buidings? :lol: ( just kidding )

11. Arathorn

Arathorn Catan player

[/lurk]Corporations don't really "consume" resources. They really just require them to be available to the city at the time the corporation spreads. And having Sid's Sushi, for example, doesn't remove the health effects of rice, even if you only have a single source of rice.[lurk]

Arathorn

12. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

OK got it. Do we want barb interceptor as next city?

I think we go HG in capital next, to increase GE points. Can hire merchants elsewhere if necessary.

Boston seems good for Great Library.

13. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i was thinking the barb city would be next, yeah. and i really forgot all peace and put it on epic?!? d'oh!!

we should at least be honorable. america doesn't start wars of aggression :mischief:

[though the snarkier posters maypoint out that it does go to war for resources it wants]

14. Ozbenno

We start with a good event first IBT.

I start New York on a market for employing some merchants.

Washington starts on Hanging Gardens after aqueduct completes and I started to cottage the floodplains. I also sacked our citizens to work the hammers and gold tiles available (thought we could only employ merchants :mischief:).

Philadelphia founded. Should swap to worker size 2.

Played to turn 150.

As for the future, I think we should swap Boston to a settler at size 4, swap pholkville for a worker at size 2, whip the market in New York when we can and employ a merchant. Hanging Garden is in 14 turns, our GE should come out 17 turns after that. If our balls are large enough we could employ a merchant to get it spat out quicker (but leave a small chance of a GM).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/88650/PH11_BC-0350.CivBeyondSwordSave

15. Kodii

Kodii Ka ICE

I think that we decided that merchants were a-okay.

As for cottaging? I'm positive that isn't a-okay :lol:

I think I'm passing along the strategy/variant-breaking disease...

16. Ozbenno

Ah nuts, in my defense I broke my ankle last night and I'm under the influence of pain killers. I thought it might improve my game play. How wrong was I? Someone else should take the game from pholks save, or do you want me to replay?

17. pawelo

pawelo Chieftain

:nono:
    Well, at least someone else broke the variant (I cottaged in the PH-10 at some moment in the game :D)).

I can got it from your save. Will switch working tiles around Washington and farm over cottages.

Can play tomorrow morning.

Hope your ankle will get better - were you skiing in Australia ??? :confused:

18. Ozbenno

Trod on a cricket ball :lol: :mad: :cry:

19. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Hope you get better soon , Oz... and no, painkillers don't make your gameplay better :p ( personal experience... and if you don't believe me ask KMad :lol: )

P.S Who on earth trods on a cricket ball? :lol:

20. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

was it b/c of the big austrailian cricket trial??

i trust ur doped-up gameplay; it's probably on par w/my normal gameplay :D

farm that cottage as u say, pawelo, and all will b well

pawelo's got it w/rolo on deck iirc (2 lazy 2 scroll -- & if anyone is wondering, im reduced 2 crummy laptop 4 internet access and thus my abbrev txt)

edit: citizens ARE okay b/c they don't give us any bad GPPs