1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PH11: Hypermegaglobalnet

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Dec 20, 2007.

1. pawelo

pawelo Chieftain

Got it confirmed.
    Single question - shouldn't we squeeze a settler in between to get another city? No that we have great lands or so...

Going to play in five hours more or less.

2. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

go for it w/the settler. maybe somewhere on the west coast? the SW blue-green dot perhaps, fish and FPs --

3. pawelo

pawelo Chieftain

Another 17 turns went by...

Calm turnset - things seem to roll, at least for now.

On inherited turn I stopped the cottage build and sent the guys to farm the other one. Stopped working the cottage too.

I decided to send away the Philly axe on a fog-busting mission - he didn't have much time to spend away as some barb activity appeared to the north.

T151

Pliny finds our nation pathetic in terms of teching

T152

Some barb activity - a warrior to the north (nothing special) and an archer to the south of Washington.
    Problem is, we only have a warrior there - the archered appeared in a 1-tile fog :mad: I start an axe and MM the city to get it in 3 turns.

T154

Pop4 in Boston - switch the production to the settler.
    :whipped: the market in NY for pop3.

T155

Axe is up in Washington - just in time. I send the warrior fog-busting the north lands.
    Library is started in NY. I hire a merchant there.
    Oz's critical error is repaired and the cottage is razed :D

T158

Washington pops 8

T160

The GLight is build IDL.

T161

Aesthetics in. I start Poly for Litterature.
    Some barb activity to the north - 3 arches coming after Philly, which gets connected to the DC on this turn by the road.

T162

GP born IDL - will build the ToS on the next turn.

IBT

Our axe survives to two archers - I promote him with Combat 3 to heal him before the last archer attacks.

T164

Philly switched to the worker on pop 2

T165

Switch research to Hunting - our workers just chopped the trees over the Fur and started the road towards it. Will help us with happy cap for Washington.

T167

Seemed a decent moment to stop as :

I start a market.
    Forgot about the +1pop and $crewed the MM of Washington - now we have an angry guy there. :whipped: someone ? ;)

Also, Boston finishes the settler. Here is the map, for reminder purpose :

Otherwise, the GE is due in 9 turns. Hunting will be discovered on the next turn - we can start the camp right ahead (2 workers present and road done). This should get rid as fast as possible of the angry man in Washington.

Poly has only a few turns to go too, then Litterature. I left the research at 70% so that we could get some money to face random events. There weren't any.. :sad:

Handing over the game :)

4. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

good turns pawelo. I meant to write NW dot, so as to further fogbust that area, up by that fish and a desert FP.

Teh lighthouse dropping is too bad, but we were never really aiming for it. After Lit & TGLibrary, where else should we be going next?

let's see, who's up?
    Roster
    pholkhero
    ozbenno
    pawelo >> just played
    r_rolo >> UP NOW
    Kodii >> on deck
    Conroe

5. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Got it....

6. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

Grabbing the free GA from Music should be next port of call I think. I think we should then head towards Optics and discover the AI before they discover each other. We can then see how they are doing and get the most value from trading.

7. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

good points all. With TGL started, and GEs rolling now in DC, the GArtist from Music will put us in a very good position to nab all the corps.

From optics, it should be for Astro, with or w/o the Liberal sling, and getting our own sources for cereal mills.

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Will update this later ( have to go out now ) , but wanted to put the save here, because we need to discuss a thing or 2.

First, I played 13 turns to get Lit and now we have acess to TGL. IMHO we should build it in Boston ( 21 turns ATM ).

I'm not sure that we should go to Music asap... our research is a shame and we need to get more merchants. I would go to CoL for caste ( as I queued in game ). Music ATM is 34 (!) turns away....

Leonardo da Vinci borned in Wash... putted him in sleep ( do not forget him ;) )

One more fog buster to the north would be fine....

Log
    Spoiler :
    Logging by BUG Mod 2.11 (BtS 3.13)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Turn 167/750 (95 BC) [12-Jan-2008 16:31:31]
    Tech learned: Hunting

IBT:

Turn 168/750 (80 BC) [12-Jan-2008 16:44:56]
    Research begun: Polytheism (2 Turns)
    Research begun: Polytheism (2 Turns)
    Research begun: Literature (2 Turns)

IBT:

Turn 169/750 (65 BC) [12-Jan-2008 16:45:55]
    Whip anger has decreased in New York
    Tech learned: Polytheism

IBT:

Turn 170/750 (50 BC) [12-Jan-2008 16:46:07]
    A Farm was built near Washington
    New York finishes: Library

IBT:

Turn 171/750 (35 BC) [12-Jan-2008 16:46:52]
    New York begins: Granary (12 turns)
    A Camp was built near Philadelphia
    Atlanta founded
    Atlanta begins: Monument (23 turns)

IBT:
    Confucianism founded in a distant land

Turn 172/750 (20 BC) [12-Jan-2008 16:47:50]
    Philadelphia finishes: Worker

IBT:

Turn 173/750 (5 BC) [12-Jan-2008 16:48:30]

IBT:

Turn 174/750 (10 AD) [12-Jan-2008 16:49:16]
    A Pasture was built near Philadelphia
    Boston finishes: Library

IBT:
    While defending in American territory at Philadelphia, Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 100.0%)
    While defending in American territory at Philadelphia, Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 100.0%)

Turn 175/750 (25 AD) [12-Jan-2008 16:50:06]
    Boston begins: Market (23 turns)
    Philadelphia begins: Monument (8 turns)

IBT:

Turn 176/750 (40 AD) [12-Jan-2008 16:51:25]
    New York's borders expand

IBT:

Turn 177/750 (55 AD) [12-Jan-2008 16:52:05]
    Leonardo da Vinci (Great Engineer) born in Washington
    New York grows: 6

IBT:
    While defending in the wild near Philadelphia, Axeman defeats (5.00/5): Barbarian Warrior (Prob Victory: 100.0%)

Turn 178/750 (70 AD) [12-Jan-2008 16:52:36]
    A Mine was built near Philadelphia
    Washington grows: 10
    Philadelphia finishes: Granary

IBT:

Turn 179/750 (85 AD) [12-Jan-2008 16:53:21]
    Tech learned: Literature

IBT:
    Christianity founded in a distant land

Turn 180/750 (100 AD) [12-Jan-2008 16:54:45]
    Research begun: Code of Laws (20 Turns)

Attached Files:

9. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

have we hired any merchants yet anywhere? if not, then we shouldn't bother with CoL yet either, imo. I'm hoping that once one or two merchants are going in each city, we'll do better researchwise.

also, we don't want to miss that GA either. getting another will be VERY hard to do.

let's figure this out before Kodii plays, though.

Roster
    pholkhero
    ozbenno
    pawelo
    r_rolo >> just played
    Kodii >> UP NOW
    Conroe >> on deck

10. Ozbenno

We probably don't have enough food anywhere to hire more than the 2 we can from a market, so should get markets done first.

Boston seems good for Great Library, it will boost research. Unless we want to go Compass or Calendar, I think we should bite the bullet and head for Music. Code of Laws and Civil Service after.

11. Kodii

Kodii Ka ICE

Better safe than sorry. I would go Music, then CoL/CS unless we want to go Optics first. Technically, we should be taking the Economics path, according to the variant, but the variant itself is a bit vague.

I'll start the GLibrary in Boston. Even if it finishes before our second GE, our GE will probably pop before our first GS.

Oh, and got it.

12. Kodii

Kodii Ka ICE

Played an uneventful 15 turns.

I set research to Music, Washington completed its Market and a Granary, as did New York, which is now producing military. We should consider building the Parthenon here (?).

Perhaps a fault in judgment, but I whipped Boston's Market before starting the GLibrary, even though the city is low-food.

I also killed a barb archer in the north.

And finally, I have a settler and garrison sitting in Washington (unmoved), awaiting direction, if we decide to settle another city now.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/96336/PH11_AD-0325.CivBeyondSwordSave

GE due in 58T (watch New York's merchant)

13. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

good turns. we've got the harder part of the variant already well underway, but we'll definitely need more merchants if we're going to get anywhere. As far the tech/build variant: we only need to CHOOSE a "money" tech if it's available; we don't need to head specifically for Economics (but if say, guilds were available, we'd HAVE to research that). anyway, what's our research rate at? enough to afford another city?? it doesn't seem so, but i haven't been able to check the save for a bit.

Roster
    pholkhero >> on deck
    ozbenno
    pawelo
    r_rolo
    Kodii >> just played
    Conroe >> UP NOW

14. Conroe

Conroe √∞

Got it ...

Our research is an anemic 40 beakers. Ironically, that is good enough to rank us second on the demographics. :crazyeye: We're at -1gpt with 70% on the slider.

Personally, I think we should be looking at putting down a few more cities. I'd prefer coastal so that we can get some commerce going. Although we'd need Sailing and Lighthouses for that. I'd give some serious thought to researching Sailing after Music comes in, and then on to CoL and CS.

15. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

yeah, if our rate is up at 70%, then definitely, let's put down a few more cities. i think we're number one (hopefully) b/c the other AIs are lacking in contact and trade route partners. if we could find a Merchant-Farm, that would be great! maybe in the SW near those two fish and rice??

also, there were no pics the last two reports :nono: please post an overview shot when you report, conroe

16. Conroe

Conroe √∞

How about an overview shot before I play? We can discuss city placement ...

And just to refresh everyone's memory, here is a reposting of Pholk's dotmap ...

Personally, I'm leaning towards yellow dot ...

17. Ozbenno

I think Sailing definately after Music, then Calendar as the spices can generate some much needed income, so maybe pink dot next.

18. pawelo

pawelo Chieftain

Agree with the pink dot, though the teal one will make an excellent pay-for-myself-and-more fish city.

19. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

hallaluyah! :worship: ;)

i like yellow; that works for me. we could probably build 3 more cities, imo. one could be teal, one pink, and the other the red dot -- good for cheap maintenence.

20. Conroe

Conroe √∞

:hmm: two votes for yellow and two votes for pink ... looks like we have a tie :undecide: