1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PH11: Hypermegaglobalnet

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Dec 20, 2007.

1. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Pink.... yellow is not productive rulewise without Caste ( or a Market, that would take a long time to build )

2. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

yellow is on a hill and has 2 fish; we could whip a market there, but i meant to write teal:

also, i'm referring to the NW blue-green dot ~ not sure if that one is teal or the lower blue-ish one, but that's the one i mean. we should go pink > teal > red imo, and settle them in the next couple of sets.

and please erase that sign, too :yup:

3. Kodii

Kodii Ka ICE

I don't know which one "teal" is anymore :crazyeye:

So I'll vote for pink.

And no, that isn't my real reason. I think pink would be better now maintenance-wise. We can't connect the silk until Calendar, but I think its better than yellow for now.

4. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

now that we know we should go for pink. ummm, turns?? :D

some MM thoughts, first::
    we can hire two merchants at DC and NYC ~

we're then able to get sci up to 90% w/ -1 gpt.

Also, there's a grass forest at Atlanta that the city is working that can be farmed both for the chop for the market, and to speed up the whip there, too.

5. Conroe

Conroe √∞

I started off by tasking New York with building us some Workboats for our newer cities. I also gave New York's copper tile to Boston. The extra food and hammers should speed up the Great Library build.

The Colossus was built in a far away land. The Hindu shrine was also built somewhere. Whoever founded Judaism also built the Apostolic Palace. Seemingly a rather pointless build on this map, but it should provide them with a nice hammer boost in their cities. :undecide:

Our own Great Library build has 9 turns remaining. Or 7 turns, if you stagnate the city's growth. Possibly not a bad idea. I would also suggest, considering the lack of food in Boston, that this city no longer be subjected to the whip.

I founded the city of Chicago on pink dot, as instructed. The city was started on a Granary. After Music comes in, the city should be switched to build culture for a border pop. Time it to coincide with the arrival of the Workboat from New York.

I also equipped a second Settler and headed him towards teal dot. I think that was everyone's 2nd choice. Actually none of the dots looks "teal" to me. :crazyeye: I assume, though, that teal is the lime green one that is just north of yellow dot. :dunno:

We may want to consider moving that city site 1N. By doing so, we will be able to irrigate that grassland tile (after CS) where the Warrior is currently standing.

I also spent some time moving our fog busters around. Between border pops and new cities, I was able to get a bit better coverage. We've still got a few tiles in the dark, but not near as many. We do have a barb Warrior wandering around in the icy north. But so far, he seems content to leave well enough alone. We also had a barb city spawn.

After Washington completed the Settler build, I set the city on Wealth. By doing so, I was able to up the slider a notch to 80% and remain cash flow positive. Our second GE is due in 48 turns; our first GM in 51 turns, and our first GA in 2 turns.

I shall close this report with the words of Thucydides ...

Amazingly though, we are still ranked second in GNP. The save is attached ...

Attached Files:

6. Conroe

Conroe √∞

Sorry, Pholk, but I actually played the turns last night. But since it was so late, I didn't write the report up until this morning.

We probably don't want to hire those merchants anyway. Hiring merchants at DC will pollute the GE pool and risk losing our 2nd GE. And hiring more merchants in other cities will delay the GE in Washington. And I'm not sure we want to delay it, because we really can't do anything else in that city (like build the Parthenon) until we get the GE.

I swapped Atlanta's Market out for a Granary. With a happiness cap of 10, the faster we can get there the better. The forest chop isn't a bad idea, but we should be able to :whipped: the Granary in another 5 turns. After that, I'd probably hold off on the whip until the city's rice and fish are hooked up.

7. Ozbenno

Ozbenno Fly Fly Away Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I agree with Conroe, we don't want to dilute our GE points until we get our 2nd GE as I think they will be the hardest to get.

Where to go after Music? Calendar seems good and then Optics.

The other thing we're going to have to do is figure out our plan to get all the corporations, ie what tech order we go late game.

8. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

no worries, was just busting your balls ~

ya know, that's the SECOND time someone's had to remind me of that :crazyeye: (and i wonder why i lose @ emperor :D )

although, we might be able to hire a 2nd merchant @ NYC w/o delaying the 2nd GE. i can check it out w/BUG.

finally, :whipped: for breaking the variant ~ since we have markets, it has to be a first build at cities ~

Roster
    pholkhero >> UP NOW
    ozbenno >> on deck
    pawelo
    r_rolo
    Kodii
    Conroe >> just played

will play/post tonight probably.

and again, i'm looking to play some MP saturday @ 9 am gmt +5. anyone interested??

9. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i like calendar > optics path ~ we HAVE to get the nav bonus

10. Conroe

Conroe √∞

I think we need to go after CS next. Mainly for the ability to spread irrigation. Although I really like Sailing, as well, for the Lighthouses. But it isn't a critical tech, at least not yet. Unless we're building a wonder or some such, we should probably be emphasizing food and commerce in our cities. Particularly commerce. Our tech rate just seems so anemic to me; although, our demographics look pretty good.

:ack: Sorry 'bout that! :blush: I didn't realize I was breaking the variant. I knew they were a priority, but I didn't realize they were first. You probably will need to double check all of the cities.

11. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

I started off by switching chicago and Atlanta to markets, and noticed that, indeed, another merchant pushed back DCs 2nd GE (however, at the end of the set, that was a moot point).

I founded seattle on the next turn:

And next turn:

Say hi to the founder of Civilized Jewellers:

:wavey:

After music, I went with Sailing > Calendar. I stopped once Calendar was done, and set our sights on CoL; courthouses will help us out tremendously.

I put paid to the vagrant trying to touch our beavers ;)

Of course, the Great Library finished in due course:

Lucky for us, we are now getting a GS in about 28 turns (30 for the GE @ DC). Also, we have to watch the stupid AI governors; at growth, there’s the danger of it assigning scientists.

I also did not notice it, but a library finished in Philadelphia. I assume someone did this because Philly had the first public library in the U.S., and so will not whip anyone :mischief:

There’s a settler on its way to the red dot at the cows, though we’re still not doing so well on finances now, even though DC is still producing wealth.

We’ve also got a couple galleys now for the future, and i made 2 more workers to help out some.

I agree on CS *I think*. AT the very least, CoL should be next, but we do need to get to optics and there’s about 5 techs in the way at this time.

Here’s America:

Attached Files:

12. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

I think we should really be thinking about the Astro-Liberalism sling at this point. Imo, our tech path should be CoL > CS > MC > Machinery > IW > Compass > Optics > Philo (maybe we can get religified!!) > Paper > Educ > Liberalism ~ from there, we can figure out Corporate techs.

Roster
    pholkhero >> just played
    ozbenno >> UP NOW
    pawelo >> on deck
    r_rolo
    Kodii
    Conroe

13. Ozbenno

Got it.

I agree with the tech path except Philosophy, unless it hasn't been founded which is unlikely, leave that to last and hopefully pull of a trade for it.

Another thing to look at is which corporation in which city as some will blend well with Wall Street and Ozford University.

14. Kodii

Kodii Ka ICE

Oops, we're getting a GS before our GE? :crazyeye:

I meant to remind someone to watch for that before the GL finished so we could delay, but its too late for that. Sorry :blush:

15. Ozbenno

16. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

one GS should come from Physics, though ~

also, here's the rundown, Corporate-wise ~
    * Aluminium, Co (GS): needs: coal, Rocketry; gives: aluminium; +3 :science: per resource
    * Cereal Mills (GM): needs: wheat, corn, rice, Refrigeration; gives: +0.75 food per resource
    * Civilized Jewelers, Inc (GA): needs: gold, silver, gems, Mass Media; gives: +1 :gold: , +4 :culture: per resource
    * Creative Constructions (GE): needs: iron, copper, marble, stone, aluminium, Combustion; gives: +0.5 :hammers: , +3 :culture: per resource
    * Mining, Inc (GE): needs: coal, iron, copper, gold, silver, Railroad; gives: +1 :hammers: per resource
    * Sid's Sushi Co (GM): needs: crab, clam, fish, rice, Medicine; gives: +0.5 food, +2 :culture: per resource
    * Standard Ethanol (GS): needs: corn, sugar, rice, Plastics; gives: oil, +2 :science: per resource

we should have the most HQs in our Wall Street city, and it seems to me that those are: CM, CJ, CC in one, MI, SS in another, and SE in a final, unless i'm reading them wrong. obviously we all should figure out which corps will net us the most cash from foreign spread and stick them in the WStreet city, as we need to be making a profit at 100% science at the end.

17. Ozbenno

I haven't played around with Corporations much but some are mutually exclusive, ie you can only have Sids Sushi or Cereal Mills in the one city (I assume Mining Inc and Creative Constructions are the same).

18. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Red arrows mean competing corps

As we are going to use especially Mining and Sushi ( all of the cites should have this two IMHO) I think that we should put them in Wall street city. After that we can pile all the other (less useful ) corps in one city, except Ethanol or Cereal, beacause they compete....

19. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

i'd also like to expand the crummy ones into foreign cities a whole lot, and reap the benefits while costing them cash ~

my suggestions for Corp HQs above should've taken into account competing corps, i think.

20. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

another note: Ozbenno, Rex and I are going to try some MP tomorrow (later today for those across the ocean) @ 6 am est (gmt +5). PM me here or at DM if anyone's interested ~ :goodjob: