PH2201: The Persian People's Front: Crack Suicide Squad

pholkhero

Deviant Mind
You know us silly sods.

There's two things we love: it's founding a religion and conquering cities. And once we found our first city, we're all out of religions . . .

Cyrus the Strong
Medium Seaside Map
Victory: Any
Variant Rules:
* no building settlers
* our capital must be settled by the Arcasids to found a religion
* we can only conquer cities that follow our religion BEFORE we conquer them (we're liberating them! open to modifying this though)

For other families, once we take over some other cities, [will we get the chance to assign a city to a family if there's no home city for the fmaily first?] i was thinking:
Sassanid for the military training, and the free connections. and the achaemanids for extra orders and teh Decree civics. Also, with the persians, both the warrior and the slinger are unlocked so.

Here we go:

I think this is going to be a bit tough at the beginning, but do-able.

After settling our first city, I was thinking of maybe another scout to explore, maybe 2, and then pumping out units to clear barbs for xp and then getting ready to eliminate someone.

And here's a roster:
pholkhero
ozbenno
jguy100
PiR
OPEN
OPEN

Feel free to sign up one and all; you saw how much fun we got up to the first time :D

Spoiler Deviant Mind SG Etiquette Guide :

Alpha: The quality of your report outweighs the quality of your play. We’'re here to have fun, and, of course, winning is fun, but losing in style is preferable to a boring win [please refer to pholkhero's signature].

Bravo: Reports should be detailed, with plenty of screen shots and player commentary, explanations, musings, etc; a bare-bones/no commentary, auto-log dump will not suffice. Shots of the F9 screens and overview shots of the empire are nice too, once in a while.

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you'’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.

Delta: Major game decisions (war/peace declarations, religion swaps, city placement, etc) should be arrived at via group consensus.

1. If the team disagrees with you, either argue your case better, or do it their way. Do NOT just blow them off and do it your way because it's your turn.
2. However, if there’s no consensus and you'’re up, do it your way and explain why. Conversely, if someone else is up, don't whine when they do it their way.
3. Similarly, overruling techs or city builds is rude and should be done via consensus, barring an emergency.
4. In extraordinary situations, sometimes an opportunity presents itself that the group didn't foresee. If the consequences of it are great, players should stop, and refer the question to the group.

Echo: Be Excellent to Each Other. Being a better player does not give you the right to belittle anyone else or their play. Other people are going to disagree with you on major decisions; get used to the idea, and play nice. If not, take your ball and go home.

Foxtrot: Thread spam is good. We’re here to play in a friendly environment. Trash talking, poking fun, gentle ribbing, virtual noogies, and generally horsing around are all encouraged. However, don’t be jerk.

Golf: Automate sparingly, if ever.
1. Workers should almost never be automated, except perhaps late-game or building a trade network. However, if you have to, set your game options to “disallow automated worker forest chopping” and “keep previous improvements.”
2. Use of the “Emphasis” buttons is fine, but let the group know and explain your reasoning (specialization is a major game decision). If you prevent growth in a city, let the group know and remind them to take it off. Do NOT let the governor select build orders.
3. Sending units on go-to routes that last beyond your set is acceptable only if they’re heading for a rally point or if you otherwise inform your teammates.

Hotel: NEVER fortify Great People. Is it so hard to push the spacebar 15 times??

India: Sign spamming is rude. Signs can be helpful reminders, but too many signs makes them easily ignored. Once a sign is no longer valid, delete it. [The only exception to this are city specialization signs.]

Attachments

• StrongCyrusStart.zip
    79.4 KB · Views: 34
Awesome!!! Tx buddy

Charlie: Punctuality rocks! “24/48” means post a "got it" within 24 hours of when the last save was posted, and play within 48 hours of that ‘got it.’ Waiting 47 hours to ask for a skip is lame. Punk out two times in a row, and you'’ll be dropped from the roster. Skips and swaps are fine, but try to let us know sooner, rather than later.
Anyone who'd like to join, don't be afraid by that. I hesitated to participate last time just for this rule, but they're cool with giving more time. Worse case you say you got covid and that's a free pass for sure.

Last edited:
I was just wondering, then, what everyone else's thoughts are on how to play the opening here?

i think settle on that tile i highlighted is good, build some units to attack, and then maybe a disciple to spread our religion towards possible targets.

or maybe we hsould do a scout or two before the military to find our first target.

also, if we can't give a city to a family that doesn't have a original home city, then i have two options: 1) we suck it up and are only the one family or 2) we have to sacrifice population to build a settler, and we can only build the two. any other ideas?

Reactions: PiR
Really sad we can't get those dyes in our initial borders! I'm liking the elephants though, I'm envisioning some crusader-phants crossing the alps. Or whatever mountain range exists.

I vote for building a missionary, then pumping out military. I think we'll want to conquer another city sooner than later. Even if it means a short war where we grab 1 city than sue for peace.

Reactions: PiR
I vote for building a missionary, then pumping out military. I think we'll want to conquer another city sooner than later. Even if it means a short war where we grab 1 city than sue for peace.
Agree
I'm liking the elephants though
I would have preferred to harvest them non stop, but eh what can we do, reroll is not an option here.

For the glory of <whichever_religion>! :salute:

Alrightey, I settled where i had mentioned, and founded our religion:

The RNGod knows of our love of Monty Python, and rewards us.

I , of course, brought them to the court. How else could we be the Persian People's Front: Crack Suicide Squad if we weren't fanatical?

I picked Stonecutting as it was the only resource tech option, and I got a couple events while out exploring.

Picked the 2nd option here for the extra beaker per turn and staring us down the wisdom path, and we got Rhetoric from another event. We can choose Epics or Expl. when we want, if we want (though I'm not sure we need it just yet . . .).

I stopped @ T9 as Stonecutting was in and we drew these:

Cant see a use for the food now, and Meta is too much for now. I like MilDrill for the rax and such, but could see an argument for Drama, too. Thoughts?

Also, a two bits of :smoke: well, one compounded bit. We started on a settler for a couple turns :( then i built a missionary. I know we had talked about it briefly, but it was probably the wrong call. Should've went straight to military first, then missionary once we know where someone is. ah well...

as it is, the missionary is exploring if we have the orders.

As Oz may be OoP, I'm going to rearrange the roster if that's ok, still have two spots open if anyone's interested.

Roster:
pholkhero >> just played
jguy100 >> UP NOW
PiR >> on deck
Ozbenno >> hopefully dry-ish
OPEN
OPEN

Attachments

• PersiaTurn9.zip
    472.2 KB · Views: 33
I usually beeline for drama for that sweet, sweet music. But in this case I think I'm leaning toward Military Drill. We need to be pumping out some serious military numbers, and barracks will help a lot with that.

I have family visiting, going to be busy this weekend. Probably won't be able to play for another 48 hours.

:lol: ok, let's do this

if you can play PiR, just post a 'got it' and i'll make an updated roster. you'll get to fix all my mistakes :D

edit: but if not, i'm ok waiting, too. it's not really a tight 24-48; that's more a holdover from the old days of 4 or 5 SGs at a time.

Military Drill, here we come! 9 more years until we can start building houses for our troops. Until then, they live in holes in the ground or something?

Ambition? Ambition?? We ain't got time for no freaking ambitions. Pass.
upload_2022-3-13_22-51-14.png

We found an old statue. Somehow it taught us how to build housing for our troops quicker. No complaints here.
upload_2022-3-13_22-53-46.png

The leader of our holy religion hates us. Not a good start for a religious warrior like us! Spent some resources to bribe, I mean influence, the leader.

We finally found another civilization! They got attacked by a bear - probably because they don't follow whatever religion it is we are following. We're just going to go to war with them, so I don't waste the resources aiding them directly. We'll be helping them by converting them to our one, true religion.

upload_2022-3-13_22-58-41.png

Found another! Egypt wants some tribute. We'll be paying them tribute of missionaries soon enough.

Apparently doing nothing to help the bear attack survivors was the right thing to do. Those Greeks are a strange bunch.
upload_2022-3-13_23-2-6.png

And another tech researched. Going to end the set here, leave some discussion for what's next. I'm wondering if Polis might be the right choice. With the opponents being stronger than us, getting some walls up to defend our cities might be a necessity.
upload_2022-3-13_23-4-45.png

The good: Met two new civilizations, and even found one foreign city!
The bad: Both opponents (Egypt and Greece) are rated much stronger than us.
The ugly: The missionary got boxed in by barbarians. I finally broke free, but it's still several turns away from the opponent :(

Attachments

• upload_2022-3-13_22-58-24.png
    upload_2022-3-13_22-58-24.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
Roster:
PiR >> up now
Ozbenno >> on somone's deck
OPEN >> waiting for someone to make a good decision
OPEN >> it's for you, yes YOU, the one reading this
pholkhero >> previously just played
jguy100 >> gone with the wind

Attachments

• PersiaTurn14.zip
    515.3 KB · Views: 35
I would take the wheel for the Chariots but the horses are so far

upload_2022-3-14_15-44-22.png

OK, that's still good with the chancellor, free chariot, and long term target: Maceman

if not let's say it's my fever

who said i'd fix anything?

upload_2022-3-14_15-55-4.png

couldn't skip that ambition -maybe disable tuto for next game?

upload_2022-3-14_15-59-46.png

Egypt seems to be bullying us.
upload_2022-3-14_16-3-33.png

Tempting, but I thing we need the supplies more.

upload_2022-3-14_16-5-7.png

Let's focus on Egypt first?
upload_2022-3-14_16-7-42.png

Roster:
Ozbenno >> next
OPEN >> who knows
pholkhero >> soon
jguy100 >> gone with the wind, so light?
PiR >> back in bed

Attachments

• PersiaTurn20.zip
    741.7 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom