Phaedo02- Rage_Against_The_Machine

Phaedo

Emperor
The Luddites were a social movement of English textile workers in the early 1800s who protested — often by destroying textile machines — against the changes produced by the Industrial Revolution, which they felt threatened their livelihood. The movement, which began in 1811, was named after a [possibly] mythical leader, Ned Ludd. For a short time the movement was so strong that it clashed in battles with the British Army. Measures taken by the government included a mass trial at York in 1813 that resulted in many death penalties and transportations (deportation to a penal colony).

The English historical movement has to be seen in its context of the harsh economic climate due to the Napoleonic Wars; but since then, the term Luddite has been used to describe anyone opposed to technological progress and technological change.
(From Wikipedia)

"Rage Against the Machine" was a slogan of the Luddites (and is also the name of a cool band)

In this Luddite game we will be taking Japan. Japan has never been an inventive culture. Anything you look at in Japan (with the possible excpetion of their love of baths) has come from somewhere else. Tea is from China and developed into the tea ceremony; kimono was made with Chinese silk and developed from Chinese styles; the written language is borrowed from China, the medical terminology, political structure and educational system is borrowed from Germany; tempura was introduced by the Portugese and there is even strong evidence that the royal family is not decended form the Sun goddess but from Korean lineage. What Japan has been best at is taking technology and ideas from other civilization and adapting them to the Japanese environment and developing them into a truely unique cultural expression.

Our challenge is to continue this tradition and run a 0% science game with the Japanese and be the first to colonize space.

Crafty trading and pointy sticks are the only tools we will be allowed to work with. At no time may the science slider rise above 0%, nor a scientist ever be hired and if we ever cpture a city with the Great Library in it, it must be razed immediately.

The level will be Demi-god and Space will be the only victory condition.
Standard World and 8 civs
Barbs are roaming

So far, we have four players and are waiting on one more. I think there is room for one more player to sign on if someone is interested.

I've rolled four starts that we can choose from but I think #4 is a no brainer.

Start 1

Start 2

Start 3

Start 4

Sorry about the poor quality pics but I think you can make them out

Roster:

Phaedo
Bucephalus UP
Elephantium On Deck
Simple Monkey
Smart

lurker's comment: Good luck, Phaedo and the rest!

Have fun leading Japan into space! :yeah:

Cool Phaedo, just started a solo game identical to this (my first DG attempt) after reading that Jumpmaster thread that someone linked to us. Good luck :)

Ah, but in this one we will see lots of other civs crying and a Toyota interstellar ship.

Monkey checking in. :salute:

#4 is a no-brainer (which is just my speed). Let's see what we pop when we build our first mud hut.

Well, I haven't heard back from Norton II but I think we can start with the four of us. If someone wants to join we can take one but four ought to be enough.

Start 4 looks best to me. Does anyone else have other thoughts? We can choose CB and hope we get tech form the hut. It looks like we are on the right side of the river for movement as we are at the bottom of the map. I'm assuming we will want a warrior or two as our first builds.

EDIT: I was thinking the first player takes 20 turns and then 10 turns after. I don't have strong feelings though. Any thoughts as to who should take it first?

There's not a bad start among them, but 4 looks favourite to me too.

I think our Shogun should take it first.

Warriors for sure, early contacts are key.

Are there open slots? I want to join, always wanted to play no science game to improve trading skills, and this level is also ok for me :)

Welcome! Absolutely gald to have you. BTW what's your time zone? The roster is not formally set yet. I would like to pair people that are online at similar times. If you could PM me your location and usual CFF schedule I'd appreciate it.

Top Bottom