phallanx destroying tanks. warriors destroying modern air vehicles???!?!?

joe462140

Chieftain
it is very unrealistic and stupid when a warrior can destroy tanks or a phallanx can destroy a whole army of tanks.

are there any tweaks to counter this or a filter so they AI advance with you through the ages? :mad::mad::scan::king::king:

No, but then I have never seen a warrior beat a tank. I did see a spear defeat one in vanilla civ3, but not since. Never in PTW or C3C. I once came close to losing a modern armor army on a pike, so I guess it could happen.

Try playing at higher levels, if the AI is too far behind. I find they do not have that problem at Sid.

I just lost 2 tanks to the same spearman, on civ gold, which i think is PTW. I just about threw the mouse across the room after the second one. :cry:

It is not unrealistic, look at this example: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=334619
You won't be successful much with spears and warriors against tanks, but if the game mechanics had made it a 100% win for the tanks there would be no point in fighting out this battle.
So I'm afraid 'unrealistic and stupid' is when a warrior or spear can not destroy a tank.
EDIT: My response was to the first post. Losing two tanks to the same spearman seems a bit much.

it is very unrealistic and stupid when a warrior can destroy tanks or a phallanx can destroy a whole army of tanks.

are there any tweaks to counter this or a filter so they AI advance with you through the ages? :mad::mad::scan::king::king:

Unrealistic it may be, but in 1935 the Ethiopians essentially had a spearman army defeating Italian tanks--the Italians had to resort to airplanes, poison gas, & a large helping of machine guns to beat the spearmen & even then they didn't go down easy. So it's not impossible.

Where the game gets a little strange is that the designers apparently tweaked the odds a little bit to give the spearmen a better than fighting chance. So, yes, it's unrealistic in that sense.

kk

it is a lil funky, but it is just a game after all and all it works off of is basically numbers. in general, I have rarely encountered the Super Spearman yet I have seen him on a few occasions. while extremely frustrating in the end I just try and laugh it off…not always successfully though. Heh

As far as getting the enemy AI to keep pace with you? Agreed, time to up the difficulty level and depending how far you take it…I am sure all those pesky Super Spearmen will be an thing of the past. :) ~

Its amusing tosee tanks coming for you in 1100 ad just because you didn't give in to that bribe from mr Xerxes.As for realism i guess those warriors that have been in your army for 2500 years must be pretty tired by now.just gotta love it.:D

look, it's a system working with probabilities. a one percent chance to win means this battle will be won every hundreth time.

there really is nothing more to this game mechanism.

if your game plan depends on not losing a single battle, and that by the time you have tanks and should have a crapload of units, it's a pretty bad one anyway.

look, it's a system working with probabilities. a one percent chance to win means this battle will be won every hundreth time.

No it does not. A one percent chance to win does not mean that every hundredth battle will be a victory, it means that with a large enough group, there will be approximately 99 defeats for every victory. Probability does not guarantee anything.

I agree, probability means nothing. Roll a 20 sided die 20 times and even though probability suggests that you'll roll each number once, that NEVER happens. Or at least seldom enough to use the word never for all practical purposes. Also to take into consideration: the utter inability of a machine to generate truly random numbers. There is always a pattern, no matter how miniscule.

I agree, probability means nothing. Roll a 20 sided die 20 times and even though probability suggests that you'll roll each number once, that NEVER happens. Or at least seldom enough to use the word never for all practical purposes. Also to take into consideration: the utter inability of a machine to generate truly random numbers. There is always a pattern, no matter how miniscule.

Probability does NOT suggest that. The odds would be 20!/20^20. Do the maths, it is near zero.

.....I was under the impression that a 1 in 20 chance would yield those sort of results. But I'm not a professional gambler, so...
whoops forgot to add the ;) so it doesn't sound like I'm being snarky.

But it is so nice when it is your Spearman and their Tanks!

:woohoo:

Welcome to the forum, joe462140!

:band: [party] :dance:

RNG gods...

Top Bottom