1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Phantoms of Pre-Columbia: Native Civilizations of America, Asia, and Australia

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Uighur_Caesar, May 26, 2015.

1. Uighur_Caesar

Uighur_Caesar Comandante en Jefe

I'd like to announce a new project that I'll be working on, suggested to me by Eli Khaliif, who'll be helping me make it. This project is called "Phantoms of Pre-Columbia" and will be centered around the Native Peoples of the Americas, Asia, and Australia. The project is in the very early stages of development and any help with Lua, design, art, or anything else is greatly appreciated. We have several civs on our minds currently but most are lacking a design or focus right now. As we do more research we'll come up with some ideas for them and future civs. Right now here are the civs we have planned and what we have so far:

Apache
    Seminole
    Taino
    Yupik
    Anangu
    Ryukyu Kingdom
    Moros (Philippines)
    Other planned civs that have minimal work done so far are:
    Navajo
    Chukchi
    Yakama
    Utes
    Lakota
    Hopi
    Visayans
    Yaghan
    Kaweshkar
    Yolgnu
    Native Tasmanians

Strawpoll for next Civ: http://strawpoll.me/4508465

2. Eli Khaliif

Eli Khaliif Somali Modder, not Pirate

Great to see the thread up! You should put it in your signature!

3. SuperWaffle247

SuperWaffle247 Secretary General

I'm glad to see someone showing interest in native Americans! If I could offer a suggestion, Leugi made plans for lots of these and he might want to work with yo, offer you help, or accept help, or something. Also Seminole might be coming from More Civs? But I am glad to see that the modding community is starting to fill in Africa and the pre-columbian world.

The gator icon is amazing though.

4. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Of course it's up to you, but here's the Taino and Apache concepts I had on my to-do list:

Taíno
    Agüeybaná II
    Slash and Burn. Workers clear Jungle/Forest and build farms 50% faster; farms built on cleared Jungle or Forest tiles produce +1 food.
    Boriken
    Colours - SlateGray and Gainsboro
    Unique Unit: Cacique. Replaces Great General. Cost: N/A. Combat: N/A. Movement: 2. Expend this unit in another civilization’s territory during peace-time for a diplomacy boost, or in the territory of a City-State for an Influence boost.
    Unique Building: Batey. Replaces Colosseum. Cost: 100. Maintenance: 1. Also adds +2 Faith.
    ------------------------
    Apache
    Cochise
    The Enemy. Apache units steal Food when they attack a city. When peace is declared, Apache units in (formerly) enemy territory split in two; one unit at 50% health returns to Apache territory, and the other half remains in the former enemy’s territory as barbarians at 50% health.
    Chiricahua
    Colours - Orange and Blue
    Unique Unit: War Band. Replaces Cavalry. Cost: 225. Combat: 34. Movement: 4. This unit automatically kills any civilian units stacked with military units it attacks.
    Unique Unit: Shadow People. Replaces Rifleman. Cost: 225. Combat: 35. Movement: 2. Unit ignores terrain costs and will gain a Scout-exclusive Promotion when it levels up in addition to the standard melee promotions.

5. Uighur_Caesar

Wow that Apache UA is really interesting! However, I'll probably stick with some version of the UA I have now because it's for me to program and I also want the Apache to be about quick offense. Thanks for the War Band suggestion, I'll probably use it now! I think your Taino design could help me formulate some ideas. The biggest problem I have with it is that none of the uniques have synergy with each other. I'll keep your ideas in mind though when I start working on them.

6. Hoop Thrower

Hoop Thrower Cyberbolivarian Inkarri

Didn't bane_ have plans for an Apache civ? Though yeah, IIRC ldvhl was part of Bane_'s team, so maybe that's the design that's been presented here.

Also, I see plenty of civs that have been done or are in development elsewhere already. Ain't you interested in some other civs further south instead? Yaghan or Kaweshkar maybe? :D

7. Uighur_Caesar

I just posted the first few ones that Eli suggested or that I thought of. I'll obviously expand upon the civs that I currently have here. Also, since I just found out that the civs you suggested are Chilean, would you be interested in helping out with them? I'm not as knowledgeable in South American natives as I am North American ones and since you live there I'm guessing you know a decent amount about them like how I know about the Taino and Seminole.

8. Hoop Thrower

I'd love to, that's why I suggested them in the first place. :)

9. Uighur_Caesar

Ok awesome! Do you have a design in mind already?

10. Hoop Thrower

I have a halfcooked idea for the Yaghan, mostly brought by GPuzzle's ideas + my own, and something more concrete for the Kaweshkar, though there I'm more troubled by historical research.

Oddly enough, music choices are kinda easy here.

11. Uighur_Caesar

Feel free to post it here or add me on Steam so we can discuss it. My steam is the same as my username here.

12. Hoop Thrower

Yaghan

Leader: Jemmy Button
    UA: At the End of the World: Choose from either a food or production bonus upon improving sea resources or resources in Tundra and Snow.
    UU: Anan: Replaces Work Boat. Doesn't consume when improving resources, and has a small ranged attack.
    UB:Akalli: Replaces Lighthouse. +1 Food from Sea Tiles. +1 Food and Production from Sea Resources and Camps.

Mostly born out of here, kinda too monothematic.

Kaweshkar

Leader: ???
    UA: Life at Sea: Civilians lose no movement point from moving between land and coastal tiles. +2 Culture from Improved Sea Resources.
    UU: ???
    UB: ???

Work in progress, as I never bothered to do more research on them, tomorrow I may be able to come up with something, particularly if I find my teacher who's... more of an expert on the theme.

13. Uighur_Caesar

Ok so I just came up with a design for the Taino:
    The base of the design comes from Idvhl. I added faith from farms and plantations because the Taino's main god was the God of Cassava (or Yuca as they called it and as it's called in Spanish). They had other minor gods that had to do with fertility, water, and things of that nature also. I changed the Cacique quite a bit. Since the Taino were peacefully people I wanted to give him a peace time bonus and make him more effective when defending Taino territory. The Cacique is also acquired through culture to further represent their peacefulness. I added +1 culture for every 2 citizens to the Batey because it was where a ball game of the same name occurred which had two teams.

It still needs some tweaking. Right now my biggest concern is with the uniques possibly being OP. Is 20% too much for Cacique generation and is the UB too powerful?

14. SuperWaffle247

SuperWaffle247 Secretary General

I'm curious as to why you've included Asian civs in the title?

Edit: whoops, well anything other than what's listed then?

15. Uighur_Caesar

By Asian I refer to Siberians or Turkic peoples who lived in Russian territory today before the Russians got there. Current examples are the Yupik and Chukchi. There are several more that can be included like the Bashkirs, Chechens, or Uighurs. I've also been thinking about a Bedouin or Berber civ. Native Taiwanese people could also be done. It's just a matter of me being able to find good research about these groups and more.

16. ruhrgebietheld

ruhrgebietheld Chieftain

Happy to see the Taino there. For the UA, the +1 faith from plantations is already one of the parts of the UA for Leugi's Haiti civ. I think the Taino UA is still strong enough even if you remove that part, especially because +1 faith from farms can have quite an impact in the early game.

17. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

Looks good to me! Only number I'm curious about is the +1 culture per 2 pop, which could be really, really powerful in late game.

18. Eli Khaliif

Also to garner more hype for these civs, Osceola's leaderscreen will be done by Doctor McGann who has done some magnificent leaderscreens already for Our World.

19. Eli Khaliif

Also for the Yupik, I'd suggest Uyaquq as a leader, mainly because he's the only notable Yupik I could find on the internet. He did help invent a writing system for his native language, so he's probably worthy enough to lead a civ.

20. Hoop Thrower

Well, Gedemo went with Apanuugpak