philadelphia pact??

subzero22

Chieftain
The Americans and English signed some kind of Philadelphia pact to contain my aggression?

1. I never been at war with anyone (yet lol)
2. When I checked the status of them they are still at peace with me.
3. this happened after I refused to give them a tech.

So what is this pact and what does it do? I've never come across it before and never even had the option to use it on others.

The AI often does that. It just means that they have formed an alliance, and the computer make it sound as if they had a meeting in one of their cities. Reload the game and next time their meeting is probably held in a different city. The "contain **** aggression" is what it says if the human player is the most powerful nation. Although you have maybe never been at war, it feels threatened.

Edit,
The pact may be activated if you attack one of the two parties. Then the other party will declare war on you. If one of them attacks you first, you can fight them on your ground without them activating their alliance.
I'm not sure what happens if they attack you first, and you take the battle to their ground after that.

So it is like the ai making an alliance, except some times they all have a pact to contain my aggression. I think it is a little funny, because if you are the most powerful, you could wipe them out.

Ya they both ended up sneak attacking me. They probebly hated me as they were still way behind in tech and I wouldn't give them any on top of me having the most cities. I wiped one out and after taking a couple of the others cities they ended up offering peace and just left me alone. I mainly just stole their own units for the fighting as I have democracy and didn't have police stations yet. My first attack force was from my capital only because I had Michelangelo's theater. I put in 3 spies, 2 rifle men and 4 cannons. Until one of them stole it from me they hadn't even had gunpowder yet.

Also not sure how I did it but along with Leonardo's Workshop I was still able to create warriors till I got gunpowder. Once I was researching gunpowder I spamed a few cities for warriors for a second protection unit in them lol.

Also just wondering but is there a way to keep the computer from stealing tech from me, or at least make it harder for it to do so?

I believe putting spies in your cities does some help, but I am not certain. Warriors obsolete with feudalism, so if you skipped that, you would still be able to build them.

Also just wondering but is there a way to keep the computer from stealing tech from me, or at least make it harder for it to do so?

A Spy or Diplomat in your city have a chance of blocking the theft. Except for this, you can kill or expel the enemy unit before it gets to your city.

I didn't see a 'join our civilization' option during negotiations. I guess you have to buy them out in time or conquer them.

Though if you're new to the game and/or curious you can offer to trade maps. And if you get it restart the game without saving it after writing down where everything is.

It's old-fashioned if you don't want to hack/cheat.

I didn't see a 'join our civilization' option during negotiations.
Did you for some reason expect to see that option?

Though if you're new to the game and/or curious you can offer to trade maps. And if you get it restart the game without saving it after writing down where everything is.
The AI never wanted my "useless maps"... And many of those times I asked, I knew that I had knowledge about areas it had not discovered.

Why is it important to not save before you restart it?

Anything's possible? Essentially asking the enemy to surrender instead of having to fight it out. But not with this version/game obviously.

You can go back in time and make changes. It isn't fair the human can do that but the computer also does unfair things. The probability of getting a high score without restarting it a good deal is low.

You have to give the AI MapMaking (if they don't have it already), and you have to ensure they have the right attitude to you. If they are Enthusiastic or Worshipful, they will trade for sure. Gift them things, and try it out. :)

I knew that I had knowledge about areas it had not discovered.
This is not relevant in Civ 2. Its a factor in Civ 4, though.

Yes, stack diplomats and/or spies. Use Veterans.

Diplomat (or veteran diplomat) has a 20% chance to block the attempt to steal.
Spy has 40%
Veteran spy has 60% chance to prevent the theft.

Put in terms of chance of successful theft:

If you had a Diplomat alone, the odds of theft are 80%.
A spy alone is 60%.
And a vet spy alone makes the odds only 40% chance of theft.

Teamwork is multiplicative, not additive.

For example, if you have a Diplomat, a Spy, and a Vet Spy in a city, the odds of an enemy stealing are:

= (1-0.2)*(1-0.4)*(1-0.6)
= 0.8*0.6*0.4
= 0.192
= 19.2%

You have to give the AI MapMaking (if they don't have it already), and you have to ensure they have the right attitude to you. If they are Enthusiastic or Worshipful, they will trade for sure.
They will trade maps on Cordial almost all the time. Sometimes, when they make a demand that you refuse they would refuse map exchange even when cordial or above.

Sometimes, when they make a demand that you refuse they would refuse map exchange even when cordial
As far as I have seen, this happens at Cordial. I have never been refused at Enthusiastic or above..... unless.... they did not have map making. Even when the Vendetta flag is set, they still do it. Even the Nazis did in one scenario game, lol. :D

Top Bottom