Phoenix Point, from XCOM's creator

GravityWave

Deposed Emperor
Hi, if there are any fans here of XCOM, or any of Julian Gollop's other games, then you might want to check out Phoenix Point at https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point

I'm really excited for this as I regard Gollop as one of the greatest game designers in the industry, up there with David Braben & a certain Sid Meier, so the chance to play his true vision for XCOM is something I really don't want to miss!

Last edited:
Moderator Action: Thread moved to All Other Games.

I did check out Phoenix Point at https://www.fig.co/campaigns/phoenix-point It's not a game; it's a plea for funding. Supporting commercial ventures is not one of the purposes of this forum.

Eh? What do you think you are doing when you buy the latest Civilization? You're not supporting a social programme you're funding a development studio.

It looks alright
Hopefully it will be more in the vain of Xcom the original then the simplified remake

Have to say I'm getting rather excited about this game. After looking at some preview videos and this review:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/

It seems to have some excellent design choices that will iron out some of the annoyances of Xcom. I particularly like how in Phoenix point your 67% chance to hit shot will still be 67%, but you will fire 10 bullets at 67% instead. Which is better than the all or nothing of xcoms RNG. And also how if you are doing well against a certain alien set, they will mutate the design into something else. And if you do badly against a certain type, they will deploy more. It all sounds rather promising.

Dont know if its valid for other countries, but you can buy the luxury edition on special offer if you put the promo code LUX20 in.

Just started playing this. Immediate impressions are it looks great. Weird delivery method though. Whats wrong with steam or gog?

It looks like they aren't going to put it on Steam and GOG until their full release according to their website.

Ah i see. Ive played a bit more of it now. Its not hugely stable at the moment but definitely playable. Observations are:

- shooting off body parts is an interesting idea. Its a bit like fallouts VATS system. And offers some interesting possibilities for a whole load of boss's.
- Ive not quite grasped the shooting mechanic yet. I think this is probably because im so used to XCOMs percentages. Whereass here you are just given a "likely damage" and a "possible damage". Trouble is though that im not really sure exactly how likely either the likely or possible scenarios are.
- I think it may have the potential to get quite bogged down in detail. Some people like that of course, but i feel that others will miss the stream lined version offered by XCOM. A lot of this will depend on how the game communicates its mechanics.
- Its got line of sight issues and its a bit wonky at the moment. Particularly when it comes to elevation (like you cant look over a railing and shoot for some reason).
- It looks really good for a unity game. The only thing is though is that distinct character models usually aint that great in unity, and soldier customisation is so vital to the formula.
- The UI could use a bit of work. Things like being able to mouse over icons and stuff to see what they are - the game doesnt quite have the information aspect nailed on.
- I like the potential story elements. Its actually quite believable - that scientists discovered an alien mutagen in perma frost which transformed native life on earth to do the alien bidding (whatever that turns out to be - presumably to wipe out life on earth or someother such traditional thing).

Im interested to see how the strategic view operates. This is one area where i feel they chould be able to rinse it over xcom. As the strategic layer is where it has always been weakest.

Had another fire up on this to see what its looking like now, and you can now use the geoscape and theres a pseudo strategic game to play. Its still very bare bones at the minute though. What is fantastic though is the menu screen. Its beautiful :love:

I actually read about the game a moment ago and the release is postponed to September 2019

Sooooo. With little more than 24 hours to go at the time of writing, Phoenix point will be released. Ive got my code. Anyone else?

I got my code too! And I got early access. Seeing the game evolve from alpha to finished product has been great. The game really looks amazing now and plays really well. The new mechanics are excellent.

Yes - weirdly enough so did i. It wasnt sposed to drop till 19:00 GMT. But i could start downloading it earlier than that.

My immediate first impressions are that XCOM is way more slicker than phoenix point. But you can tell that PP has a lot more in the tank when it comes to strategy.

My immediate first impressions are that XCOM is way more slicker than phoenix point. But you can tell that PP has a lot more in the tank when it comes to strategy.

I wonder if Firaxis has a bigger budget on XCOM? XCOM definitly looks more "professional". But PP is an outstanding game. Graphics are solid! It has a great atmosphere. Feels like a horror movie and the aliens are more gritty and realistic. Game mechanics are also solid. The shooting mechanics that requires line of sight is more realistic in PP. It is also a great mechanic that you can go into a 1st person view and aim the gun yourself. I also really like that you can play missions to gain support from Havens where you fight human soldiers, so it is not all just fighting aliens all the time. Having 3 human factions that you need to manage your diplomatic relations with, is also a nice touch to the strategic game.

I dont know on the budget. Pretty sure Firaxis have far greater expertise though. Phoenix Point was mostly funded through crowd funding. So although the budget may have been bigger, a lot of that might have been frittered away on start up costs and recruitment. Crowd funding a new studio is not a very efficient way to make a game IMO. Firaxis should have a whole team of artists and programmers ready to go on a number of different projects.

One thing i think PP does suck at - is the sound. Some of the voice acting sounds as though it was recorded in the 1990s. And im not too keen on the music either. The music on tactical missions is not really music, its just noise. And a lot of the alien sounds are a bit weird IMO.

Im still only a few missions in, but i can see it getting a bit repetitive. Which is or was one of the problems of the original XCOM. Although the metagame might save it. But i cant really comment on that bit yet as im not really into the mid game.

Top Bottom