Pholkhero Flavor Series: Charlemagne of the Holy Romans

pholkhero

Deviant Mind
Finally! Part ALC, part Role-playing challenge, it’s Pholkhero’s Flavor Series. My pet project (which I had MUCH more time to work on with my previous job) was Pholk’s Corner over at the DM site. This SG series is an outgrowth of that.

I’ve always thought that each Civ leader was designed with its own unique personality and playstyle so that the strategy that works for Montezuma will fall apart if applied to Gandhi. Sistuili's ALC series is a great example of the unique strategies that groupthink comes up with. However, i wanted it to be more "in character" as well . . .

With that in mind, the aim of this series of games will be to try and come up with a generalized strategy for each leader that we play.

Leader: Charlemagne of the Holy Romans
Rivals: 6 (Asoka, Ragnar, Hannibal, Monty, Ramesses, Wang Kon)
Difficulty: Monarch
Map: Continents
Size: Standard
Speed: Epic
Victory Conditions: All enabled, but see PFS Rule 3.
Variant Settings: Choose Religions, No Tech Brokering

These are the PFS Standard Rules:
1. Every city must have every 'special' building, including the civ's Unique Building, as well as those which earn double production boni. (For this game, it means every city needs to have walls, castle, and rathaus.}

2. From the time of discovery of our UU, until its obsoletion, we must produce it on a 1:1 basis with ALL other type of military units, i.e., a land-based UU and all other land, military units, defensive, seige, etc. Ideally, too, the time of the UU should be used for a bit of militaristic expansion, if necessary. [This does NOT mean that we don’t fight at all before our UU, but we also won’t be doing chopping/axe-rushing every game, either. The point is to find ALTERNATE strategies.]

3. We must discuss and designate our victory condition beforehand, designed to best leverage the leaders unique trait combination, as well as the special buildings, UB and UU (see the ALC series for an excellent example of this).

In addition, we will usually have leader specific Flavor Rules as well. For Charlemagne, they are:
1. We must found Christianity, and keep it as our state religion.
2. Once we research Feudalism, we must revolt to Vassalage and stay there.
3. We can never raze a city.

Roster:
pholkhero
ozbenno
pawelo (if he’s still got time for SGs with the 800 he’s currently in ;) )
Ad Hoc
Quotey
OPEN

and so . . .

Charlemagne of the Holy Romans

Imperialistic:
* 100% Great General emergence
* 50% faster production for Settlers

Protective:
* free CGI and Drill I promotions for all Archery and Gunpowder units
* double production speed of Walls and Castle
Walls: 50 hammers (50% with Stone; requires Masonry, obsoletes Rifling; +50% defense (except Gunpowder units), -50% bombard damage (except Gunpowder units);

Castle: 100 hammers (50% with Stone); requires Engineering, Walls; +1 culture, +25% espionage, +1 trade route, +50% defense (except Gunpowder units), -25% bombard damage (except Gunpowder units);

Holy Roman Traits:
Landsknecht (replaces Pikeman): 60 hammers, 6 Str, 1 MP; requires Engineering, Iron; +100% vs Mounted, 100% vs Melee;

Rathaus (replaces Courthouse): 120 hammers; require Code of Laws; +2 espionage, -75% maintenance, can turn one citizen into Spy;

Starting Techs
Hunting
Mysticism

Over at the Deviant Minds site, where the bulk of the planning for this game went on, we came up with a generalized strategy.

* From the early goings, we will be aiming for a religious/REX opening strategy, using a holy city’s shrine to help pay for some Imperialistic settler-spamming. Therefore, we’ll be looking to go for Polytheism first to discover Christianity, and then either on to Pottery or Bronze Working. The aim of the early game will be to grab a good headstart in land area that we leverage during the medieval era to expand our empire with Landsknects and Trebuchets knocking on our neighbors doors. From there, we will be aiming for either a Domination victory, or backdoor AP diplo from our conquests. End of game. :D

Of course, this is subject to modification/amendment once we see the start, so . . .

i'm going to wait to post the start until tomorrow, hopefully after a couple signups.

:eek: I see it but I don't believe it :lol:

All looks good. Quick question on rule 2. Do existing units count in the 1:1? eg, once we have Engineering say we have 10 military units, do we then have to build 10 landskraps, or just 1:1 after discovering the unlocking tech?

I think we should settler spam, found Chritianity then go on the warpath. Don't want to be trying to get first to Theology while warring. We could chop out Stonehenge and use the GP for Theology or Oracle it.

it's produce, so as long as our UU exits, every OTHER unit build should be it :yup:

also, i've got Choose religions on so Poly will give us Christianity; we don't need Theo (unless you mean for the AP)

also, i've got Choose religions on so Poly will give us Christianity; we don't need Theo (unless you mean for the AP)

Didn't see that. We could look at Oracling Code of Laws for courthouses then. We need to get either Stonehenge or Oracle so we can get a quick Prophet for shrine and wartime finances.

well, we start w/mysticism, so stone is a definite possibility. let's forego the oracle, though; maybe hire a priest though.

Lurker (or Pholk-Basher)

Ha, with rule 2:

2. From the time of discovery of our UU, until its obsoletion, we must produce it on a 1:1 basis with ALL other type of military units, i.e., a land-based UU and all other land, military units, defensive, seige, etc. Ideally, too, the time of the UU should be used for a bit of militaristic expansion, if necessary. [This does NOT mean that we don’t fight at all before our UU, but we also won’t be doing chopping/axe-rushing every game, either. The point is to find ALTERNATE strategies.]

I will be extremely interested to seeing you play Gandhi/Asoka :)

Me neither, I was thinking this one was never going to start :D

Still have a tiny spot, so I confirm my presence :bump:

if there is still an open spot i'll have a go. :)

If there's a free spot I'd like to sign up, but I usually play on Prince, so if a more competent player wants a spot, they can have it.

Does every city have to have a Castle before you may discover Economics?

@Quotey
You're more than just a prince player ;)
Come on', if Pholk's ok of course :salute:

if there is still an open spot i'll have a go. :)

If there's a free spot I'd like to sign up, but I usually play on Prince, so if a more competent player wants a spot, they can have it.

Does every city have to have a Castle before you may discover Economics?
Both of you are in; welcome aboard :goodjob:

We should really try to prioritize our "special" buildings, just for the flavor aspect of it. So, yeah.

And here's the start:

This site is a little too production poor imo, and am even open to moving the settler around. however, I DO want to discover Chrisitianity, so we can't go too far methinks. Others??

Both of you are in; welcome aboard :goodjob:

We should really try to prioritize our "special" buildings, just for the flavor aspect of it. So, yeah.

And here's the start:

This site is a little too production poor imo, and am even open to moving the settler around. however, I DO want to discover Chrisitianity, so we can't go too far methinks. Others??

Thanks god for stone. That makes castles about 50 hammers. Scout 1NW or 1SE? Non-expert Foggazing show 1 empty plains tile 2N1W of Settler, dunno if it has a resource.

I wouldn't say the site has bad production. Just bad food.

Pawelo said:
You're more than just a prince player

Thanks. The thing is, I don't put the same effort into single player as I try to iin SGs. And my city placement is dire :shhh:

Poor start...
I would go scout 1NE § on the stone, then 1NW so that he finishes 2N from the settler. Then we advise moving the settler or not.

Don't like the settle in place option as 1 tile away from the sea. Maybe move the scout onto the wheat and then 1SW of that and see if anything is there. Settle on the sea 1SE maybe?

If we have stone then Stonehenge seems a logical thing.

Research of Polytheism, Agriculture, Masonry, Mining, Bronze Working

Build warrior, worker, settler, stonehenge

i went north, as suggested by pawelo, with the scout. Here's the pic after the scout moved:

i almost want to go 1 n of the stone with our settler . . .

will be waiting for others to check in before further movements here. i don't like blue dot. would prefer to take our chances north.

@Kikinit

It was also my idea, though I hadn't had a chance to say it yesterday evening (RL :mad:) - grabbing wheat & fish, stone connected right ahead :D
Vote this one too

i agree with the site being production poor, but i think i'd go blue dot, it's still on the river for health and would also give the opportunity for at least 4 watermills.

Lots of forest to chop as well and we don't know whats to the south

If we have stone then Stonehenge seems a logical thing.

Research of Polytheism, Agriculture, Masonry, Mining, Bronze Working

Build warrior, worker, settler, stonehenge

seems good to me

Top Bottom