Pie's Ancient Europe (PAE)

pie_at

PAE-Let's play Ancient

PAE has its own subforum now.
Please go there for up-to-date information.

Pie's Ancient Europe

If you like the ancient era, you will love PAE!
Never before has a game come so close to the ancient times....

Let's play ancient history as you've never played before...

The full version of PAE V is finally there!
Games like Total War Rome II or Ryse Son of Rome for the Xbox seem to have brought antiquity into gaming more stunningly and realistically than ever. But once you're fed up with all the visual gorgeousness, what's left of long-term enjoyment and true immersion into the ancient world? Not much. Nothing against high resolution massacre and panoramic real-time battles, but depth, "soul" and historical feeling are things, which many players rather look for in turn-based strategy games.

However: founding cities, governing empires, conquering the world - we all know that. What should be expected new in a turn-based strategy game set in antiquity? Pie's Ancient Europe got the answer, a user-made, free modification for Civilization IV. Some commercial developers may just dream about this degree of atmosphere, playability and amount of innovative features. Here are just a few examples of the things you can do in PAE:

Spread food resources such as dates, olives, grain and wine strategically - starting with only one single resource, you found on your territory or that you traded from another player - and thus re-enact the agricultural development of ancient empires.

Promote your units in a new way: While they autopromote according to the terrain, in which they gained combat experience in, and automatically grade up according to their level of experience, you're still able to develop them the way you like. You may settle your battle-hardened veterans in provinces and reactivate them when needed. You might also let them rise up to legendary status and eventually become a hero, for example by killing an enemy unit, that already has that hero status.

Do not only fight barbarians and other civilizations but also the inner dangers of your empire: faithless generals, province governors going berserk, religious tensions, mutinying troops, rebellious slaves, renegading vassals, suddenly appearing mercenary armies some unknown enemy has sicked on you. Will the leader of those mercenaries reveal under torture which of your opponents is responsible for this band of mercenaries in your territory? Then pay him back by hiring your own mercenary army on his territory to destabilize him from within. But maybe the Gods themselves will punish him with a devastating natural disaster: witness tsunamis, meteorits, volcanos, locust and plague wreaking havoc on his empire - or yours.

Comment to PAE V:
Yes, it's definitely educational. Other mods bring historical elements into the game, but the shear scale of what you have done dwarfs any other mods I've seen. I'm about 18 hours into my first game of it, and I'm still discovering new things you've added--it's like as soon as I think, "It would be nice if it did x," I find out "Oh, it does." Just now I was wishing I could drag ships across the Isthmus of Corinth like they actually did, and I was browsing your Civilopedia entries and sure enough, supply wagons can portage ships across land.

You've added a ton of new features to the game that add to its historical feel and enhanced its game play with everything still feeling balanced and polished--nothing feels kludged and I haven't run into any bugs yet. I've been coding and gaming for over 30 years now, and I'm awestruck by both your design and implementation. You have earned my highest praise.

Comment to PAE IV:
Wow! I just began playing this mod today and I'm already hooked! I'm a retired professor of ancient history and classical archaeology so I can appreciate the work and study that went into this mod. I've played others dealing with this area of history (obviously), but find PAE the most accurate and well-balanced of the lot (at least so far). I started a game as Carthage and have played 280 turns at noble level so far. Thx ever so much.

Comment to PAE III:
Thorgal said:
PAE III - A game for all players, who were always annoyed that in the basic game the ancient time is neglected, and also for all other CIV players, who miss more game complexity.

On the one hand there is the possibility to go deep into ancient time and experience it in a way, no other mod before made it happen. Not only the Roman Empire can be led to its old size, there is also the possibility for all other ancient civilizations to rewrite history by showing their own historical strengths

On the other hand also the experienced CIV player will be enthusiastic by the improvements of the gameplay and the new tactical possibilities.
The combat system improved by long-range options, revolting stacks, the consequences of capturing a city, the new unit slave, which can be used in different ways, the resource wine, which spreads in a completely new way, the population drift from dissatisfied and unhealthy cities… the list is apparently infinite and everything without any restriction of fun!

Pie succeeded in changing CIV into a new game. Each round is an experience for itself in e.g. meeting new units or making tactical decisions, which were never present like that in CIV. But attention, the overwhelming bulk of new units, buildings and miracles and the unbelievable game depth will make you addicted.

PAE III - For all CIV players a must-have.

Congratz on the strategical move, captain.

I have a suggestion to add more to the ancient history lore.

Now, I have read quite enough to say with enough ensurance that the Nubians as represented in PAE can be historically any Nubians from 6000BCE to 2nd century AD. What I mean is the common view of Nubia is the Nubia of black pharaohs starting with Kashta (meaning the Kuhorsehockye, from Kush which was a name Egypt gave to Nubians along many others) and ending with Taharqa IIRC. Nevertheless, before that period, there were many tribes tagged as Nubians and are culturally (more or less) linked to Nubia we know now. The mythical land of Punt is also a nubian tribe.

What I propose, since I have a name and a historical "photo", is the addition of the puntite leader, Parakhu/Parehuwas/[prw?] (which can be written in many ways because old Egyptian is a cosonnant language and the choice of naming is let to the discretion of the one who names the individual).

The person besides (to the right) of the fat lady is Parakhu.
If the idea of this addition is green-lit. I'll do the "information" job. Regarding the implementation, I won't try again. The last time never gave me any results and bugged the mod severely. Too many hours sank when there is already a pro around. :)

I had other names for Nubian leaders (like one dating as far as 2000BC proven historically), but "photos" are inexistent since it was only the name on a egyptian pottery for the goal of breaking it (it was the way of cursing someone hated for ancient egyptians).

So, you want me to add Parakhu as leader to the Nubians or adding a new CIV called Punt with this leader?
If the first one as meant, you have green light, I'll add him ;)
Which traits do you want? Be sure, it's different from the other Nubian leaders.

So, you want me to add Parakhu as leader to the Nubians or adding a new CIV called Punt with this leader?
If the first one as meant, you have green light, I'll add him ;)
Which traits do you want? Be sure, it's different from the other Nubian leaders.

Excellent! I'll work on this around this week end once I get more free time.
Here's a citation that from a book I'm reading right now:

Conclusion: Punt is another nubian tribe amongst the numerous ones like Wawat, Irtjet, Irem, Nemyew, Nubians Troglodytes from Khenthennofer, etc. Before the kingdom of Meroe came out of the dark ages and then founded the well-known 25th egyptian dynasty by conquering Egypt where unification finally happened amongst the erstwhile warring nubian states.

Here's a tentative map I've found at some point:

Also found a strangely better colored version of the puntite "royal" (if chieftains could be assumed as royalty?) couple. Possibly artificially enhanced...although colored representations are real in ancient Egypt depictions.

I have finally found consensus naming of those two individuals: Queen Eti and Chief Parehu. It's the most conventional naming I've found.

BTW, I'm asking myself: Is it possible to implement landmarks with python that can receive any kind of textures? I've found many hieroglyphic representation of egyptian neighbours and it might be cool to the lore, although perhaps superfluous. Just thinking.

Because I had the idea of a new "Rise of Egypt" scenario that is more historically accurate with more attention on the many tribes around.

What kind of textures?

I would play a Nubian scenario:yup:! (Although I don't see, why the Rise of Egypt scenario is so inaccurate.) Pushing the boarders of "Ancient Europe" forward, beyond the map edge and world's end!

In fact, the scenario isn't inaccurate, but stuff could be added to enhance the lores of Ancient Egypt and their neighbours. Also, perhaps zooming in a tad to allow larger fertiles zones and a shifting more into central africa with the large savanna lands to allow many nubian tribes to strive with enough lands.
I know PAE is about Europe first, but that aspect is so polished it may be interesting to start shifting progressively into different directions that still had connections with Europe but without Europe included necessarily.
I'll be honest: I think there is TOO much drawn attention to europe all over the internet when it comes to ancient history that I think everyone is hardcore eurocentrist. Don't get me wrong: I'm not a crazy person advocating its own culture as Egypt/Nubia couldn't be more far from mine (either in "race", "skin color" , "culture" or "whatever crops up in mind"...). I've been on history fora and 95% of people are only interested in Greece, Rome and its european surroundings that it almost sounds obsession/praise over its own culture (nationalism). Though I also browbeat afrocentrists. They aren't better...Ok, I divert. :)

Hence, a nicely elaborated scenario focused on Egypt and its neighbours without european presence would be a refresing scenario.

For instance, the textures for landmarks I mentioned could be the real ancient egyptian names for their neighbours as the map I made some time ago shows:

Spoiler :

The map could perhaps contain Libyan tribes (The Tenehu as Egypt called them) amongst which the well-known Libu tribe (Libya is eponymous of them). Either making them workable by changing some rules or the map near Egypt is so zoomed in the oases are sufficiently big to allow them to strive a little.

To the south, there would be a legion of Nubian tribes with a generic leaderhead and a generic name like "Chieftain of Wawat".

The Arabian peninsula could be added as Bedouin definitely had impact when Egypt attempted to pass through the levantine strip (The Sinuhe tale talks about some friendly Bedouins, but there were pirates also generally speaking).

At last, perhaps include some of the Middle East powers like the Hittites, Mitanni, etc. but without the real need to really create new civs.

In fact, most is doable as it is now. I was toying with the idea for quite some time, but lacked either time or skill to implement such scenario.

I'll be honest: I think there is TOO much drawn attention to europe all over the internet when it comes to ancient history that I think everyone is hardcore eurocentrist. Don't get me wrong: I'm not a crazy person advocating its own culture as Egypt/Nubia couldn't be more far from mine (either in "race", "skin color" , "culture" or "whatever crops up in mind"...). I've been on history fora and 95% of people are only interested in Greece, Rome and its european surroundings that it almost sounds obsession/praise over its own culture (nationalism). Though I also browbeat afrocentrists. They aren't better...Ok, I divert. :)
[…]
For instance, the textures for landmarks I mentioned could be the real ancient egyptian names for their neighbours as the map I made some time ago shows:
[…]
Be it in line with a safe post-eurocentrist view or not, the Nubians are * interesting for their own sake. As a Christian kingdom, they fought off the Arab expansion until the 13th century. As I've just learned today;).

@landmarks: Maybe it would be possible to create them as hovering units in the shape of 2-D slabs, but with a thickness, and you could place them through the WB? Just a freaky idea:p… But such landmarks would definitely add atmosphere.

Manco:
just create a new thread into the new subforum of PAE called: Scenario: Early Egypt or Nubian Egypt or whatever.

Write all details down, how the scenario should look like. The more infos the better.
eg
Map.
Number of CIVs. Name of CIVs. Name of Leaders. -> what Leaderhead-Pic of a PAE leader.
Cities.

If it's not me, perhaps another gamer can create such a scenario. scenarios that starts 4000 BC are very easy and quickly done.

Landmarks: this wouldn't work. sorry.

Don't forget Pie's Ancient Europe. It's well and alive. PAE V Patch 3 is on the way:).

A new Peloponnesian War scenario is at 98 % completion. When it's ready, I ask you to compare that to the Peloponnesian War scenario, that shipped with Civ IV Warlords!

Attachments

• Trireme von vorne.jpg
    Trireme von vorne.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 2,728
Top Bottom