1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pie's Ancient Europe

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Ancient Europe' started by pie_at, Feb 5, 2010.

1. CedricSoubrie

CedricSoubrie Chieftain

As I'm French I've done some of the french translation but there are still more than 300 texts to translate. I'll continue a bit later...

[Edit in fact it was 2000 texts and not 300... :cry:]

2. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Je dois faire vite alors! Un émule, inacceptable! :lol:

3. CedricSoubrie

CedricSoubrie Chieftain

I worked on it for two more hours and there is still plenty to do... I think there is work for two people ;-)

4. pie_at

pie_at PAE-Let's play ancient :)

Très bien! :)

there is no need to hurry! you have certainly time for a week until PAE V gets fully released.
    if not all texts are finised, they will be included next patch.

The most important things are the objects, the infos and the concepts.
    and don't forget the changed texts. they are marked extra because, there they have already been translated but the english text has changed! just unmark the "text has been changed" checkbox in you language when finished.

Priority is:
    1. objects
    2. infos
    3. concepts
    4. strategies
    5. hints
    6. quotes
    7. pedias

you're really quite fast!
    there are only 202 objects, 212 infos and 18 concept texts open for translation! wow
    in Italian there are 1041 objects, 435 infos and 75 quotes open.... :(

So Italians! Where are you! Don't you see, this mod also affects YOUR GREAT history!

cedric and tachy, you'll get the pm now.... ;)

5. pie_at

mourn, tachy, cedric and rual have the PAE V test version at the moment. it's almost done. please tell us, what you think and what you have experienced. and what you feel, what's the difference is between PAE V Beta 2 and this PAE V (final version).

Translation:
    go, go, go ! you make a good job! whoever helps! I really want to have all objects and infos translated! there is only some left:
    French: 53 object, 275 infos
    Italian: 314 objects, 1163 infos... puh, ok, that's a lot... :D

go, go, go! :D

Link to the translation tool

6. CedricSoubrie

CedricSoubrie Chieftain

The MOD is still really great ! I play on the Hellenistic map and I had a few orgasm while playing ;)
    I have some problem now to load my saved game. Other people have that too ? (I'm around turn 300).

@pie_at I send you a PM for more details.

7. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Do we really need translations in this day and age? Every school has English as a foreign language. Many things are common in Romano-Germanic languages anyway and player can guess from the context. Duh... Does the mechanic work? Does AI play well? That's all that matters, really!

8. Nimek

Nimek Emperor

I agree.

@PiE

Please release PAE V asap.

YOu promise it before christmas but you didnt say with one :p

9. pie_at

Yes, I know. I'd really liked to but real life... amazing...
    That's why now's the time coming for a release. It's almost done. I hope, I really hope, PAE V is available within the next 1 or 2 weeks.

10. pie_at

Yes, translation is necessary. For younger people and for people who can speak 3 languages, but have an handicap in english. Slavic people for example. They speak Russian, German and their language. But broken english....
    Besides, if you want to check the concepts of something, isn't it better for understanding if it's in your language? I think so.

So objects (units, buildings,...), infos (mostly displayed things during game and events, quests) and concepts are the most important thing in CIV.

Translation status:

French: great, all objects are done! If you don't mind for infos and concepts (some concepts have english texts included, they are in "changed text" category), it's ok.

Italian: I saw some new changes. Please write the texts into the big white area and not the small one. I added an hint there now.

So there are about 6000 texts :D (amazing)

English: 100%
    German: 100%
    Spanish: 99.1%
    French: 76.1%
    Italiano: 52.5%

that's great! but it can be better :D

no, I would release PAE if it - as you said - all new mechanics work and AI plays well. It doesn't. I am busy to solve that.

11. Antigenes2

Antigenes2 Warlord

Is there a reason why the Iberians get Judaism fairly late on (I think I got it around 270BC), but miss out on Celtic, Roman and Phoenician religions? I would have thought they would get one of the others (maybe Celtic early and one of the other two later).

I'm still playing this game so maybe another religion is timed to show up later but I can't see where Judaism fits into this part of the world.

12. pie_at

no, Iberians don't get a missionary automatically. it works with standard BTS spread. the first civ with religion you offer open borders will give you a chance to get their religion.

Judaism can be found by everyone.

13. Antigenes2

Antigenes2 Warlord

OK, I just thought it was set like that because I've seen them with Judaism a few times now. Just coincidence I guess.

14. Skav

Skav Chieftain

The only operation needed to play with the scenarios is to edit the map file and add the lines :
    BeginPlayer
    LeaderType=NONE
    CivType=NONE
    Team=18
    RandomStartLocation=true
    EndPlayer

With team from 18 to 39.

The resulting map does not crash without the dll.

15. Keinpferd

Keinpferd King

This mod component is highly recommended for the PAE Europe XL scenario. Pie, maybe you should offer the already set up 29 civs version Thorgal once made as an additional download, independently.

16. Antigenes2

Antigenes2 Warlord

On the same subject, how easy would it be to turn some of the StartingPoint scenarios into fixed-Civ scenarios? The reason being, I really like Boggy's European Ice Age map, but there are only 13 other Civs (plus barbs) and if you start as the Gauls, say, and have the other Civs chosen randomly you can end up being alone on half the map. I know you can pick the other Civs but I don't like doing that, it seems too contrived. I also like the Huge Europe map and that again can suffer from uneven Civ distribution in the same way.

I realise that fixed-Civs is really just the same thing but with 18 or more evenly distributed Civs you get a better game.

17. pie_at

Keinpferd, there is no need for an extra file. As I understand, the lines can be added even while playing without dll. Right, Skav?

I will test it. Would be really great.

Antigenes: ok, I'll check that for the Ice Maps.

18. Skav

Skav Chieftain

Yes, you can add the lines for all maps in the next version, it will work as well for players with or without the dll.

I encountered crashes only :
    - with dll, loading a map without the lines
    - without dll, loading a savegame with dll

19. Skav

Skav Chieftain

Some places end up a bit crowded with 40 players :crazyeye: :

Spoiler :

20. Keinpferd

Keinpferd King

Absolutely. I think, Starting Points gives a casual player a decent good chance for a totally messed up PAE experience, because he might not consider vast empty eras on the map and other balance ruining issues. The freedom of choice, that Starting Points is supposed to give to the player, seems in this sight rather not so liberating.

Many casual players would never bother with editing lines in a text editor, by the way. When I was new to PAE, I would have been afraid to break anything like overwriting my original game file. That's why the thought of giving a ready-to-play version of a PAE Europe XL con tutti.

That's crazy! You or Pie have an explanation why that is:crazyeye:? The creator of the More-than-18-civs-dll must have had a reason to take the time, I guess:D.