Pie's Ancient Europe

If it was just adding a few lines of code somewhere to create a fixed-civ scenario from a Starting Point one that's definitely something I'd try.

One thing Starting Point does give you is the ability to play other Civs not in the fixed-Civ scenarios. For me that might be the Etruscans or Lydians but we'll all have different favourites. So Starting Point has its place.

40 civs? :eek: 18 is still the optimum number for me, room to expand but also enough to fill the big maps.

I had a couple of ideas which might or might not be any good. They just came to me and I haven't spent too much time thinking about them :blush: but I thought I'd just float them for consideration for the future.

1. Brigands. Seems like this might have come up before but I can't remember and a search didn't come up with anything. Like pirates (as they are now) but on land. You can build them and they can act against a friendly power, capture merchants etc. Really though my motive is to be able to intercept those pesky missionaries without having to close borders.

To stop you spamming them they should either have a national limit or have a good chance of turning on you and pillaging your own country.

2. Statues. I had a dead plot in the middle of a number of cities and thought it'd be really nice if I could build something on the plot, something special for my civ. e.g. for the Scythians it might be a horse statue (for a huge amount of gold). I don't know if you can make new things show up on the map and it might be hard finding something unique for every civ.

Just something to chew on for the future :)

1. Brigands. Seems like this might have come up before but I can't remember and a search didn't come up with anything. Like pirates (as they are now) but on land. You can build them and they can act against a friendly power, capture merchants etc. Really though my motive is to be able to intercept those pesky missionaries without having to close borders.

To stop you spamming them they should either have a national limit or have a good chance of turning on you and pillaging your own country.
Oh yes, these land pirates pretty much as you suggest had a not so short temporary appearance in PAE. It's a logical and fun promising idea, but there seemed no way to implement them bug free, so they were dismissed again, unwillingly. Pie can tell you more about it.

Statues: Would need not only civ-specific variants but also a whole bunch of new art for each statue. I could imagine sacred groves or temples-outside-of-cities sites very well off the city buildings list in the landscape, though.

Back on the subject of StartingPoint and fixed scenarios - I would suggest that along with Flunky's idea of "max of" for grouped civs you could also use "at least one of" for some groups, so for instance you would get Rome or Etruria or both, but not neither. If you could work the script that way I think you'd go a long way to getting a more even distribution but still retain the random-ness and then perhaps not need the fixed-civ versions. Especially with Pie also raising the limits for large maps.

But maybe, some people want to play with both teams? Like me.
The Starting Script doesn't know if a CIV was randomly chosen or not.

---------------------

It would make me very, very happy, if we could finish the INFOS and OBJECTS in the Online Translation Tool in Italian and French! With those tags, PAE V will be shown with all possible languages in the list of mods!

PLEASE, make me happy! ;)

So Starting Point doesn't pick the civs just places them? In that case I've no idea how you can get a better distribution. Too bad.

Never mind, I get what you're saying.

No, but otherwise, it replaces a CIV that is not allowed to be there (x,y = -1).
So, I am sure, it could be handled. but next time.... not in PAE V.

---------

How's about translating? Anyone does? otherwise I prepare for last import.... although, I'd really liek to have PAE V in French and Italian. At least the infos and objects. nothing else for now.... :please:

Yes, that's the target!: when those Italian and French infos and object tags are translated: I will release PAE V.

This gives me some important testing time and day and day there are new issues from BTS that wants to get solved.

AND you're doing great! I can see the progress in the translation! go on!

FOR FRENCH: you don't need to translate the objects anymore. about 200 are for a scenario (cities in Limes) so this has really no importance!
So FRENCH GUYS: There are only 258 INFOS left!

ITALIAN GUYS: 1178 infos and (480-200=) 280 objects left!

I will also try to translate some words in Italian. Just the objects. For the infos, I can't, neither google translation :D

Here again, the link to get PAE V* earlier: PAE's Online translation tool

*currently the best ancient game! Promise!

Oh man! I just realized what are those "objects" you were mentioning? I was getting desesperate when seeing the amount of random events to translate.

Ok, I'll try to do them all tonight.

Cool. I like the mentions of all those weird tribes. Boii, Allobroges, Insubres, etc. Never heard of them. Probably many "civilizations" of Europe before the roman empire rose.

Great Tachy!

Yes, there are lots of infos like events and more in PAE. But they are really important, because lots of them are ingame messages. kids or people who don't understand some english phrases will be irritated.

So, I count on you all! You'll do it! This is something every native speaker can do easily. And PAE is for YOU, so make it for YOU. :w00t:

:whew:
Done. Almost three hours. I did the best of what google gave me, with the occasion deduction. Few a are copied from english or german as the tribe name doesn't seem to have a french counterpart. Interestingly, many names are repeated (or simply taken as different tribes, but it's a deformation of the a same tribe name). And those germanic leaders at the end were difficult to find references. Some look like to be belonging to myth.

Pierre, do I need to replace french accents like in " è " or " é " by a respective code?

FOR FRENCH: you don't need to translate the objects anymore. about 200 are for a scenario (cities in Limes) so this has really no importance!
So FRENCH GUYS: There are only 258 INFOS left!

Attaboy! Such a good perusal job I did. Well, I mistakened. I translated the unnecessary objects for the scenarii. :cry:

For today, imma done. :eek:

EDIT: It seems I did some ancient germany scenario....Objects: Generic/Allgemeins (427)

Pierre, do I need to replace french accents like in " è " or " é " by a respective code?
No, just write them in normal letters. the export function replaces them with ISO codes.

Attaboy! Such a good perusal job I did. Well, I mistakened. I translated the unnecessary objects for the scenarii. :cry:

For today, imma done. :eek:

EDIT: It seems I did some ancient germany scenario....Objects: Generic/Allgemeins (427)

oh no! :D

But you DID make a good job! respect! :goodjob:

I worry about the Italians.... where are they.... :confused:

Don't forget the INFOS !

only 257 left (+2 changed)!

I have translated all necessary Italian objects. Now it's up to you with the info texts (Italiano: 1178 left). Those are quite important because, they are ingame messages like those texts in the popup windows of the new features, eg: if a bonus resource is (already cultivated) or in possession.

ehm no. Generic means Allgemeines in German. Both is shown. Although: in Allgemeins is a "e" missing..
I don't care.... :D

Sorry Pie. This day didn't end up well in spare time. Tomorrow, I promise, I'll get to it.

Look into the spoilers.

Spoiler :
I promise. :D

Top Bottom