Pie's Ancient Europe

First of all: great mod! :goodjob:
I like this mod very very much, hopefully someone will do something similar for the medieval area.

I got a couple of questions though.
Would it be possible to get the scenarios with the option to turn certain features off?

For example the Sea people.... I usually play with Barbarians turned off to speed up the computer turns in late game, nevertheless Sea people spawn and very often kill civilizations like the Lybians or Minoans.
Loading an autosave and killing them via world builder is not very funny if you have to do this every 10-20 turns.

As i said i enjoy this mod very very much and like to play with a friend of mine. unfortunately he is kinda annoyed with the chance of your army rebelling if you stack to many units on one plot. So this could be another feature that i would like turn of if need be.

Others features like desertification or supply limits may as well be optional.

I'm not a modder myself so i dont't know if it is possible and how much work has to be done. Hopefully not to much.

I certainly hope the OOS issue will be solved soon but work and familiy comes first so take your time.

Don't know if someone else already asked (167 pages of posts to read ...:rolleyes:) but will there be a version of the hellas mod mod with alle the PAE V features?

Wirklich super Mod, danke für unzählige Stunden Spaß :)

Oh, forgot to mention, we like to play at marathon speed. So the timeframe for sea people to spawn is reaaaally long and the buildable units are not that strong...

Maybe thats why the pc and sometime i have so much problems with them,

Would it be possible to get the scenarios with the option to turn certain features off?
I think that would need the SDK (which PAE doesn't make use of).

But you can certainly edit the sea people out manually. The sea people action is all in one single file: CvEventManager.py. If you uncomment out the lines that deal with them, no more sea people in your games. But please wait for Pie's detailed error-proof instructions (before I get you guys into trouble;)).

Don't know if someone else already asked (167 pages of posts to read ...:rolleyes:) but will there be a version of the hellas mod mod with alle the PAE V features?
Not any time soon. The Hellas modmod was rather meant as a Greeks scenario that needed some extras, because it's boring, when everybody on the map shares the same Olympian religion and thus all civs "like" each other all game. And adding religions means, technically, modmod. We'll see.

Speaking of modmods, Pie is very supportive to modmod makers. Those who are unhappy with the degree of nastyness in the sea people or natural desasters or think contrarily, they're by far not apocalyptic enough, should consider making an own PAE-modmod. And if you do it for yourself, you might as well share it with others. Modmods can also be a persuasive way to get a feature idea into the main version.

Personally, I would love to play a "Mythological" PAE modmod, maybe on the grounds of Manifold's unfinished "The World of Odysseus", but whose intention would clearly be different from the Fantasy genre. Not amassing as many mythological creatures as possible, no Mana, no spells. A modmod, that would rather remain true to the original PAE realism, but with a twist.

Such a modmod would treat the gods, demigods and monsters as what the ancient people experienced as the "real" in their eyes. In other words, a modmod that would go by "their realism", that of the ancient minds, not by "our realism", that of present day scientific knowledge. For example: an earthquake is treated in PAE as a devastating natural event, that has no other consequences for us players than having to rebuild structures or maybe grieve for an accidentally killed hero unit. An ancient mind would firstly be concerned with placating angry Neptune or whoever was to blame for that earthquake. In such a modmod we players would be taken right to that perspective, that the appeasement of the gods comes first, much later followed by restoring buildings. Gameplay would focus on the interaction with supernatural powers constantly. If you want to go to war, you will have to ask the oracle first. No consent, no campaign. It's only true to history, if every other campaign was cancelled, because some entrails of some slaughtered animal looked awkwardly or a lunar eclipse forbode bad things. I can see all that translate to great playing features.

Just like Stanley Kubrick tried to shoot Barry Lyndon, as if a baroque artist had the medium of film to his disposal, this modmod would try to act like an ancient mind, who has the medium video game to his disposal.

(Damn, I only wanted to answer cael real shortly, that didn't work out so well;).)

Where is this hellas modmod!!! Me wants!!!!

:)

Well ... I really do like V ... but the modmod seems good enough to give III-base a go.

How well does the scripted Persian unitsupply turn out?

--------------

How would you recommend to install it? I suppose as a patch over III? Will it launch if called Hellas Mod, or will it only launch if folder is Pie III (or if there is a Pie III folder somewhere else)

---------------

O.O ... your mod is actually LARGER than Pie III ... impressive :) (or is the size just the difference between the sizes? :p)

Standalone eh? Alright.

---------

MACOSX ?????

Thinking the MacOSX is just the Mac version .... I just installed the other one.

----------------

The Spartans are sorely lacking in this mod ... ;_; .... luckily I have a bit of modding skill :)

I do prefer somewhat the Persian units of III ... as the Immortals (skirmishers) have +50% vs Mounted and Melee ... in V I think its only +50% vs Axeman.

------------------

For these reasons, I think a Hellas mod for V is distinctly in order! ^_^

bummer; about the custom game buttons...sea people off would be one i would chose.

but if it can only be done by SDK then i understand...

hope there is a patch 2 soon...i miss all those scenarios :p

When do Sea People start to appear?

bummer; about the custom game buttons...sea people off would be one i would chose.

but if it can only be done by SDK then i understand...

hope there is a patch 2 soon...i miss all those scenarios :p

Just copy in the scenario files from the original download. The Hellenic scenario works fine and I'm currently playing the large 18 civ barbs scenario. If there are still problems with it I haven't yet found them and I'm at around 500BC.

Hey all! Love this mod, thanks for all the work! I wanted to play the XL map with all civs in the game. I've copied the 40 Civs .dll from the extras folder, but it only adds more slots for barbarian civs, not actual civs. How do I get all the civs in the game?

Yes, 1400-800 BC.

Sea Peoples: I could merge them with the No Barbarians Option in the Game Settings, if it's ok for you all?

OOS errors: I will have a look when I got the time to continue modding on PAE. Promised.

Hydrok: Start a custom game and add all CIVs manually. In the main XML the number of automatically placed Civs is limited.

Hey Pie,

Did Patch 1 fix the "units can't upgrade to elite" bug? or is there also a strict level requirement?

--> I have a level .. 6 or so unit, led by a great general, veteran status, that cannot upgrade into Hippeus Spartatoi.

I world buildered in several spartan hoplites, placed one a vet and another an elite, and this time had both agoge and palace in the same city .... still nothing. (granted this is pre-patch 1 ....)

----------

On the pasture/farm thing, I'm starting to agree with you ... but not perhaps in the same way. Having pastures at 1 food and 1 commerce is, imho, just a glorified 'camp'.

Pastures are +2, camps are +1/+1, and Farms are +3 ... which means that Pasture in Savannah is 'superior' to farms ... sort of.

I'm not fully certain what the answer is, but I think bringing farms up to +4 would be an interesting choice. Maybe a few parallel techs in the late-game, or just an extra late-game tech. Another potential is to increase the farms' chance to gain resources, and psosbly to reduce the pasture's chance to discover.

Hi Tasunke,

upgrade elite units: don't know, I will have a look.
But I know from the German forum that spearman to Harii doesn't work, which will be fixed next patch.

Pastures, camp, farm: yes, something is to do with that problem. easiest way is to chop the savannah. but this will be discussed.

O.O ... your mod is actually LARGER than Pie III ... impressive (or is the size just the difference between the sizes? :p)
Yes, Keinpferd uses much more different unit skins than in PAE III.
He searched and brought those skins to PAE IV ;)

Hi guys , hi pie at and many thanks for your excellent mod , very light and i can play regularly even if i have a old pc . Soon i plan to translate in italian the rest of the mod , first the "events" that i see are in english when i play .
nityo, that's very good news! I hope you use the translation link: PAE Online Text Tool

From there, I import all necessary text files into the mod.

maybe Savannah could be 2 commerce (or even 1 commerce + 0.5 health) rather than 1 food + 1 commerce. It makes it 'weaker' than forest, but at the same time fixes the improvement problem.

I'll leave it to the historians to justify whether Savannah or Forest are better .... but I think removing the +1 food from Savannah, and instead having +1 C/ +1 H, or +2 C, or just increased health, might work out instead.

One way to 'symbolize' early food with Savannahs, if your purpose is that ppl tended to prosper in Savannah regions moreso early on .... is that Savannah gives maybe +0.2 happiness (or more?) in addition to +0.5 health, and I suppose +2 commerce. This would make the savannah civs 'rise up' a bit sooner, but have no real increase in food production.

Nice ! Can't wait to give V a try !

Top Bottom